• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Happened at The 2006 TDF?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
A

Anonymous

La Vie Claire said:
Don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I found it quite coincidental that the merde hit the fan right after LA retired. Also odd that Hincapie is winning a queen stage in the Tour one year and the year after Armstrong retires, he's sucking big time. As mentioned by others, LA probably knew about an impending shakedown and got out just in time.

sarcastic, moi?

theres a little bit of truth in everything, even sarcasm

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
Don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I found it quite coincidental that the merde hit the fan right after LA retired. Also odd that Hincapie is winning a queen stage in the Tour one year and the year after Armstrong retires, he's sucking big time. As mentioned by others, LA probably knew about an impending shakedown and got out just in time.

Hincapie has always been a purely average climber. He won that stage by getting in the right break, widdling down the group through attrition (which is something he's always been good at doing), riding the wheel of his opponent the entire climb, then pipping him at the line.

It was great for George, but all of the commentators etc...claiming he was suddenly a TDF contender were over the top.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
This guy's credibility drops every time he opens his mouth. He wants to clear is conscience but is not willing to admit to the event that brought him down.
There is a chance he could face fraud charges for the Floyd Fairness Fund. It's not probable but it is a possibility. The Pennsylvania Attorney General's office made a comment about it a few days ago.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
There is a chance he could face fraud charges for the Floyd Fairness Fund. It's not probable but it is a possibility. The Pennsylvania Attorney General's office made a comment about it a few days ago.
Then fully face what you have done and take it like a man to clear your conscience. Don't forget what this guy did to Greg Lemond. He is trying to ruin a man's life and he no credibility.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Then fully face what you have done and take it like a man to clear your conscience. Don't forget what this guy did to Greg Lemond. He is trying to ruin a man's life and he no credibility.

I agree with all of that. However, it doesn't change the fact that he might have no credibility, be out to ruin a man's life...and be correct.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I agree with all of that. However, it doesn't change the fact that he might have no credibility, be out to ruin a man's life...and be correct.
He lied under oath and threatened a witness in his trial. How much less credibility could a human have?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
That's a strawman. Logic says he was on testosterone in 2006. His accusations can't be treated as a job lot. Most pass the sniff test, but I doubt any thinking person here believes every word he's said since the emails came out.
definitely, imo, he started doping prior to Mercury Viatel. And well in advance of USPS. And StrongArm, was not the guy who led him down the garden path.

Prolly more truth, in Matt Decanio's two degrees of separation, saying "Dave Clinger said Floyd chowed down on so much HGH he thought they were cheddar bay biscuits at Red Lobster". And the nickname, "roid Floyd".

No, in all likelihood, Floyd did not need 12 years of training before he hit the needle. He saw it as the pathway much earlier, and he went full hog, like he has with most things in his life. And this predated his first major contract in Mercury Viatel. FL would have been doping well before Postal.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
He lied under oath and threatened a witness in his trial. How much less credibility could a human have?
does his message and narrative require his credibility?

When Armstrong says "we like our credibility", how much credibility does he have.

I wont even start on StrongArm, but look in reverse chronology and Don Caitlin farce to start with.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:

Not much less. If I wanted a completely and utterly impeachable witness, I'd pick Floyd over a mafia boss.

But that doesn't change the fact that in this instance, there's limited but rational reason to believe he might be telling some truth.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
does his message and narrative require his credibility?

When Armstrong says "we like our credibility", how much credibility does he have.

I wont even start on StrongArm, but look in reverse chronology and Don Caitlin farce to start with.

I'd say that in a court of law, before a jury or in any deliberation, Armstrong has more credibility than FL.

That doesn't mean he's credible, just that he's more credible than Floyd.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Not much less. If I wanted a completely and utterly impeachable witness, I'd pick Floyd over a mafia boss.

But that doesn't change the fact that in this instance, there's limited but rational reason to believe he might be telling some truth.
Do you think that his conscience would have needed clearing if he was offered a Radioshack contract? I feel like this is just another black male situation (see Greg Lemond). "If you don't do this I am going to rat you out." While I think some things are true, I feel like a lot of it is exaggerated and driven by revenge.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
Do you think that his conscience would have needed clearing if he was offered a Radioshack contract?

Oh hell no! Even he admits that. And I'm quite certain he's not doing this to "Clear his conscience".

There was simply no way CSE was ever going to offer Landis a contract, under any circumstances. They knew this was coming.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
I feel like this is just another black male situation (see Greg Lemond). "If you don't do this I am going to rat you out." While I think some things are true, I feel like a lot of it is exaggerated and driven by revenge.

^ I agree, 100%.

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I believe he is telling most of the whole truth as he experienced it and was relayed to him, i.e. conversations with Lance, minus the testosterone debacle of 2006. There is simple logic as to why he has to continue to deny that. So what is the big deal about that... a simple man can figure it out, or Occam's Razor if you would like. Nothing more complicated is necessary.

Even when we are telling the whole truth, there is something often we want to hide, a little thing, to make us look OK. Who hasn't been there at some point in their life?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
cathulu said:
I believe he is telling most of the whole truth as he experienced it and was relayed to him, i.e. conversations with Lance, minus the testosterone debacle of 2006. There is simple logic as to why he has to continue to deny that. So what is the big deal about that... a simple man can figure it out, or Occam's Razor if you would like. Nothing more complicated is necessary.

Even when we are telling the whole truth, there is something often we want to hide, a little thing, to make us look OK. Who hasn't been there at some point in their life?

dichotomy iz oxee moron

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
If he was doing it to clear his conscience he would have left other people out of it and said what he did and admitted to all of it (which he is not doing). He would have refused to respond to questions about other riders and let the press and the forums fill in the blank space. I cannot believe I gave this guy the benefit of the doubt until he did what he did to Lemond and now he is doing it to Armstrong. Oh well, go let him make millions on his next book trying to destroy the career of one of America's Great Champions. I am sure everyone on the forum will buy a copy of it.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
If he was doing it to clear his conscience he would have left other people out of it and said what he did and admitted to all of it (which he is not doing). He would have refused to respond to questions about other riders and let the press and the forums fill in the blank space.

I don't see how you can properly say what was going on without blabbing on others. His teammates gave him the drugs. The team told him when testers were coming. He can't pretend this was a frolic of his own - that would be a deception of a different kind.

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Yes, he wants to chant down Babylon - but he tried to get amnesty for the riders involved - the emails leaked by Radioshack show that. Why on earth Armstrong chose to release that is a mystery to me.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
When is a credible cyclist that has not been busted for doping from the Postal Years going to come out against Armstrong and support Floyd? Give me Vandevelde, Zabriske, Hincapie, or Popo and then there might be some credibility to these claims. Never? Maybe in a couple years? If you strip Armstrong of his titles who do you give them to? Basso? Ullrich? Beloki? Rumšas? Kloden? I know, you guys know, and anyone who follows cycling knows, there is a good possibility that the top 10+ finishers at the Tour during his victories are not worthy of the crown.