• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What Happened at The 2006 TDF?

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I have not been keeping up with the onslaught of articles surrounding Landis. What I have read depicts him as quite resourceful and knowledgeable when beating the system with respect to drug testing. He had his own equipment and could do his own analysis with a microscope.

Has anyone read anything about what happened at the 2006 Tour? If he was so clever how did he caught? Just curious if Landis has yet explained what went wrong at the Tour. Did he get careless? Did he use something he had little experience with? Etc.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Q: So did you use synthetic testosterone at all during that Tour?

A: No. I had in the past, I had used testosterone in training and I had used it, not in 2002, I don't believe. In 2003 and '04, I [took it] in the form of andriol, which is an oral form ... and then in 2005 I did I think every third day or so use some a testosterone gel, but I can't remember the brand name of it now. After I figured out how to use, or got better at using, or figured out the dose of what I needed to use as far as growth hormone is concerned, I used that instead and had better results with that, so I stopped using testosterone in 2006. Pretty much the whole year I didn't use it.

Q: I realize this is not important in the bigger picture, but you would still contend that the test results that were obtained after Stage 17 [of the 2006 Tour de France] were not correct?

A: Yes, there must be some other explanation, whether it was done wrong or I don't know what ... The problem I have with even bothering to argue it is I have used testosterone in the past and I have used it in other Tours and it's going to sound kind of foolish to say that I didn't. I almost don't feel like arguing at this point. The whole reason I am doing any of this is because I just want to clear my conscience, and I don't want to lie to anybody anymore, including my mom, and I've just had enough of it

A

Anonymous

Lance was ****ed that another american won the tour so he got his buddies at the UCI to do floyd for testosterone cos lance was fairly sure floyd was using it as he showed him how to use it at postal. Little did he know that floyd was really using EPO

Feb 21, 2010
Visit site
All things considered, and looking at his case in light of these developments, the lab could have really F's it up.

What an irony if that truly had been the case.

Probably, it was some odd issue with his blood transfusion.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
the one who f-up is landis. he was told to keep the patch for only an hour and because he was drunk he forgot. the rest is protecting the penny worth scientists he hired and one even flown back to scotland for 30 thou

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Colm.Murphy said:
All things considered, and looking at his case in light of these developments, the lab could have really F's it up.

What an irony if that truly had been the case.

Probably, it was some odd issue with his blood transfusion.
nah, dont believe that.

Remember they test his other samples during the Tour with the alternative test, which discerns the molecular weight of the testo metabolites b/w plant and animal form.

Landis came up positive on all the other tests.

If there was a genuine f* up, it is likely Landis was on something which produced that, some derivative or what I do not know, layperson here, no biochem major.

So, he had to be on testo. And continues to fudge it. Prolly thinks he is protecting himself from lawsuits from the FFF.

May 11, 2010
Visit site
So if we are to believe all what he is saying is true, then there must be a conspiracy against him. Since he still says he didnt use it and all he wants is to tell the truth. They should be investigating this again and throw those testers in jail, and give all Landis money back and crown him a winner. Maybe TFF will come up with a tshirt to remind who won 2006 heh? :rolleyes:

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
TeamSkyFans said:
Lance was ****ed that another american won the tour so he got his buddies at the UCI to do floyd for testosterone cos lance was fairly sure floyd was using it as he showed him how to use it at postal. Little did he know that floyd was really using EPO

I'm afraid you might be serious.

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I find this statement by Landis really odd regarding the '06 TDF positive test:

Yes, there must be some other explanation, whether it was done wrong or I don't know what

If he denies using synthetic test. that year and then went on to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars defending his title and claiming the lab screwed-up, why wouldn't he just say "I still believe the lab made an error in my case". He got real wishy washy on this topic now.

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Wait!!!! Oscar Pereiro was on Phonak until '05!! Well then that proves it. Whether Landis doped or not, the winner of the '06 TDF used EPO.

Phonak had to be the "dopiest" team ever. :)

Maybe his HGH contained testosterone. It would not be the first time a person bought one drug and received another. It would be beneficial to the supplier because test is cheaper than HGH. Both are used for recovery, so maybe you would not notice that the HGH was cut with some sort of testosterone product. It would also explain why he tested positive on stage 17. After stage 16, he probably used a metric buttload of HGH for maximum recovery.

Dario Frigo was cheated by his supplier.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
TyrellDirt said:
Wait!!!! Oscar Pereiro was on Phonak until '05!! Well then that proves it. Whether Landis doped or not, the winner of the '06 TDF used EPO.

Phonak had to be the "dopiest" team ever. :)

Really? When Banesto, ONCE, USPS, Telekom, Kelme, Festina, PDM, etc etc are alleged to have team-wide doping programs - how is it that Phonak are 'dopiest'?

The only dopey thing about their program was that it wasn't as sophisticated as the others, because they kept getting caught. Other than that they seem to be exactly on par with everyone else. That's the depressing thing about this whole charade - clean is the exception, and doped is the rule.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Cooper said:
I find this statement by Landis really odd regarding the '06 TDF positive test:

Yes, there must be some other explanation, whether it was done wrong or I don't know what

If he denies using synthetic test. that year and then went on to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars defending his title and claiming the lab screwed-up, why wouldn't he just say "I still believe the lab made an error in my case". He got real wishy washy on this topic now.

Hold on. Groupthink says he is only speaking truths.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
Hold on. Groupthink says he is only speaking truths.

That's a strawman. Logic says he was on testosterone in 2006. His accusations can't be treated as a job lot. Most pass the sniff test, but I doubt any thinking person here believes every word he's said since the emails came out.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Runitout said:
That's a strawman. Logic says he was on testosterone in 2006. His accusations can't be treated as a job lot. Most pass the sniff test, but I doubt any thinking person here believes every word he's said since the emails came out.
what is fiction and what is real? There should be an oddsmakers line on each point of detail

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
i have a feeling if flandy admits using test on 06 he will have a whole heap of legal problems with regard to the legal process he has been going through over the last few years... best to keep denying that one

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
scribe said:
what is fiction and what is real? There should be an oddsmakers line on each point of detail

Again, logic says that the bits that are self-serving should be treated with suspicion, the bits that make him look bad should be treated with less suspicion. And Occam's Razor usually applies.

barn yard said:
i have a feeling if flandy admits using test on 06 he will have a whole heap of legal problems with regard to the legal process he has been going through over the last few years... best to keep denying that one

Exactly. It's not like Lim (or that dude that was on Versus attributing FL's miraculous ride to hydration) is going to come out and say, yeah, I helped FL dope with testosterone in 2006.

TeamSkyFans said:

Don't know if you're being sarcastic, but I found it quite coincidental that the merde hit the fan right after LA retired. Also odd that Hincapie is winning a queen stage in the Tour one year and the year after Armstrong retires, he's sucking big time. As mentioned by others, LA probably knew about an impending shakedown and got out just in time.

TRENDING THREADS