• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What happened to Hincapie today?

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Before Evans cracked, I saw GH sliding out the back of the peleton.
What happened to George today? I cannot seem to find any interviews at all about it.

Forgive me if this topic was already posted, I searched and could not find it.
This is my first post...just a soccermom with a lust for pro cycling :)

SoccerMom said:
What happened to George today? I cannot seem to find any interviews at all about it.

The climb was too long and too hard. It's just not George's terrain, especially at this point in his career. Besides, he had already worked hard on the front for Cadel. His job was done.

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
GH has been disappointing. Totally quiet and absent. Not Like BITD with Lance. GH has won a stage that had plenty of hills.

He must be old and uninspired.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
McClimber said:
GH has been disappointing. Totally quiet and absent. Not Like BITD with Lance. GH has won a stage that had plenty of hills.

He must be old and uninspired.
He did a pretty good job on Stage 3 working for Evans.

A

Anonymous

Two words.

Jeff Novitsky

Oh, a third word.

Subpoena.

You could ask the same of Dave Zabriskie.

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
The climb was too long and too hard. It's just not George's terrain, especially at this point in his career. Besides, he had already worked hard on the front for Cadel. His job was done.

This one is the correct answer.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
SoccerMom said:

Mmmm, soccermom lust...

Anyway, I think the answer to your question lies in The Clinic. You're new and may not know that The Clinic is where we discuss doping. Which I think explains the new George better than mere age.

scribe said:
Dude is too dang big to motor up with the best of them on HC climbs

Remember the queen stage to Pla d'Adet? Off to The Clinic we go...

Jun 29, 2010
www.goodforthegame.co.za
I was also surprised when he dropped off and the commentators were quick to say that it was job done.

I can't recall George riding at the very front of the Peloton much at all yesterday - what was it exactly that he did or do people just assume it was job done?

Apologies in advanace if I missed him taking some big turns at the front early as did not watch the entire first 80km.

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I think in these perhaps cleaner cycling days, a pattern begins to emerge: Riders are limited by their stature and physiology. The days of turboboosting a tall, heavy rider to ride fast in the mountains are over.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Uhm, I reread the live report for the stage and saw that he was on the front of the peloton prior to the climb before the Madeline. I also recall seeing him with Cadel on the lower slopes of the Madeline when the majority of the team was on front.

Let's not forget, back when he won the mountain stage, he got in a breakaway while Lance was in the lead and sat on the back of the break all day. He never took a pull and just sat in the wheels until the final 200 meters. Remember back and you may recall that once Pereiro had dropped everyone by Hincapie, he kept telling George to come through, but George wouldn't.

So, despite all the people implying that George has changed due to s subpoena or other bull****, he has done his job and pulled his team leader and then slowed down to conserve himself for the remainder of the days when he needs to help Cadel again.

The bottom line is that he did his job!!!

A

Anonymous

Squares said:
Uhm, I reread the live report for the stage and saw that he was on the front of the peloton prior to the climb before the Madeline. I also recall seeing him with Cadel on the lower slopes of the Madeline when the majority of the team was on front.

Let's not forget, back when he won the mountain stage, he got in a breakaway while Lance was in the lead and sat on the back of the break all day. He never took a pull and just sat in the wheels until the final 200 meters. Remember back and you may recall that once Pereiro had dropped everyone by Hincapie, he kept telling George to come through, but George wouldn't.

So, despite all the people implying that George has changed due to s subpoena or other bull****, he has done his job and pulled his team leader and then slowed down to conserve himself for the remainder of the days when he needs to help Cadel again.

The bottom line is that he did his job!!!

You're probably right. I'm sure the subpoena has no impact on his riding.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
1. He's not as good a climber as he was.
2. He never was as good as people seemed to give him credit for.

While I'm not going to comment on drug stuff here... he was never a mountain goat. People talked about him like he was the last man with Lance in the mountains... and that was simply untrue. Even in his best climbing years, he was one of the first Disco riders to disconnect on most climbs... he'd do like Cancellera did last year on Verbier.... blast a pace at the foot of the big climbs then fall off.

His mountain win involved him doing zero work in the break. Yes, he had to be able to climb fairly well to do that... but not at a mountain goat level. More like a Jens Voigt level.

He's not that good in the mountains anymore... that is true. He fell off a bit earlier then expected. But even in his prime he wouldn't have been one of the last 20-25 left on a climb like this.

SoccerMom said:

pelOton....

You can get thinner and you can get richer but you can't get younger. He's big and not young. I'd love to see him tie Joop's record of 16 tours but the guy is gettin' old...

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
kurtinsc said:
1. He's not as good a climber as he was.
2. He never was as good as people seemed to give him credit for.

While I'm not going to comment on drug stuff here... he was never a mountain goat. People talked about him like he was the last man with Lance in the mountains... and that was simply untrue. Even in his best climbing years, he was one of the first Disco riders to disconnect on most climbs... he'd do like Cancellera did last year on Verbier.... blast a pace at the foot of the big climbs then fall off.

His mountain win involved him doing zero work in the break. Yes, he had to be able to climb fairly well to do that... but not at a mountain goat level. More like a Jens Voigt level.

He's not that good in the mountains anymore... that is true. He fell off a bit earlier then expected. But even in his prime he wouldn't have been one of the last 20-25 left on a climb like this.

Signing off on this post. Couldn't have said it better. Some will say jens is doped now, but the clinic is for the cynics.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Bustedknuckle said:
pelOton....

You can get thinner and you can get richer but you can't get younger. He's big and not young. I'd love to see him tie Joop's record of 16 tours but the guy is gettin' old...

While true, he's still got value on the flats.

I don't think he brings much to BMC right now aside from more ethereal "leadership" things... but he'd still have value in the tour for a team with a sprinter.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Squares said:

Very true, but you can't wheelsuck your way up an HC slope and win the stage unless you have some serious climbing prowess. George had that, and now he doesn't. I agree that age, physiology, and his role within his teams have also played a role. But another side of this story is this big man could once climb with the little men, and you know my opinion on that........

TRENDING THREADS