• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What has happened to the forum????

Page 21 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
So we cant say *** Pound but we can say....

2r3a89k.png

Seriously...?

Please can we have an update on things that people have requested:
  • Not actually sure whether it was mentioned, but the polls are broken
  • Friends list from before. Are they reclaimable
  • Single post view. Any information about.
  • More than five URLs. This is really annoying to not have more. Not just the mentioned threads but sometimes on the original post of race threads.

I cant remember any more so posters will have add their own which they want updates about.

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
I had some pictures uploaded to my account . One from the giro with jets flying over the peloton. where could they be.
ooohhhh dear this is so sad. my therapist said there'd be days like this. curses. my dreams destroyed.
a chapter of my life discarded like an old fish and me without a fishing license.
There were other terribly important pictures also.
What date was the changeover?
I am going to go to System Restore and go back to the old format.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
lemon cheese cake said:
I cant remember any more so posters will have add their own which they want updates about.

If we had a thread for each issue (as I started / suggested previously), this bug / feature tracking problem would be handled more efficiently, IMO.

Each issue could be discussed in its own thread and the title changed once the issue was dealt with - either fixed or "resolved" to the IT team's satisfaction, with no further work intended.

Dear Wiggo said:
If we had a thread for each issue (as I started / suggested previously), this bug / feature tracking problem would be handled more efficiently, IMO.

Each issue could be discussed in its own thread and the title changed once the issue was dealt with - either fixed or "resolved" to the IT team's satisfaction, with no further work intended.

Perhaps if you did it, rather than bemoaning the fact that no-one had hurried to act upon your wish, that would happen.

When you said "with no further work intended", you apparently meant on your own part.

Dear Wiggo said:
lemon cheese cake said:

Who would ask the mods to change the title to this? The person who asked for this issue to be fixed? In issues that have been mentioned by a few, some might not be satisfied. What would happen then?

Re:

krebs303 said:
I had some pictures uploaded to my account . One from the giro with jets flying over the peloton. where could they be.
ooohhhh dear this is so sad. my therapist said there'd be days like this. curses. my dreams destroyed.
a chapter of my life discarded like an old fish and me without a fishing license.
There were other terribly important pictures also.
What date was the changeover?
I am going to go to System Restore and go back to the old format.

I had a lot of pics on my profile page..also the Cat Group is nuked and pics are gone.
No warning just gone... :(

Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
LaFlorecita said:
I also had many friends and many of them don't post on here anymore. Do you think I remember every individual, Armchair? Hell no! Maybe if I go through all 90.000 members I can find them all again...It's just sad that these things are lost and apparently cannot be recovered.

But the only benefit in having them as 'friends' is that it facilitates PMing them. If they don't use the forum, then what does it matter? And if you can't remember who they are, then you have a very different definition of 'friend' than I have.

It was fun to go through the list and see those posters and remember how cool they were. Now they will be forgotten. I have no idea what this PMing thing is, I just added members as my friends if they were cool people with similar interests.

Florrie said this beautifully. Obviously Armchair this is something that is and never was important to you..so fine for you to dismiss this as something as frivolous as FAceBook..
A couple of those have passed away and you were unfortunately never able to exchange with them..sorry for you.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

mewmewmew13 said:
LaFlorecita said:
Armchair cyclist said:
LaFlorecita said:
I also had many friends and many of them don't post on here anymore. Do you think I remember every individual, Armchair? Hell no! Maybe if I go through all 90.000 members I can find them all again...It's just sad that these things are lost and apparently cannot be recovered.

But the only benefit in having them as 'friends' is that it facilitates PMing them. If they don't use the forum, then what does it matter? And if you can't remember who they are, then you have a very different definition of 'friend' than I have.

It was fun to go through the list and see those posters and remember how cool they were. Now they will be forgotten. I have no idea what this PMing thing is, I just added members as my friends if they were cool people with similar interests.

Florrie said this beautifully. Obviously Armchair this is something that is and never was important to you..so fine for you to dismiss this as something as frivolous as FAceBook..
A couple of those have passed away and you were unfortunately never able to exchange with them..sorry for you.
mew one could see from the beginning what an insensitive fck the armchair is and was considering your discussion towards Craig.

Sep 29, 2012
Armchair cyclist said:
Dear Wiggo said:

Perhaps if you did it, rather than bemoaning the fact that no-one had hurried to act upon your wish, that would happen.

When you said "with no further work intended", you apparently meant on your own part.

I did it, if you notice I even mention that (as I started) and was told to come to this thread instead. By one of the IT guys. You appear to agree with my idea, so there's some small comfort in that.

When I wrote "with no further work intended" I mean that some of the issues are already "resolved" as far as the IT guys are concerned. eg: single posts will not be done. You can link to a named anchor instead, which should display the post but only within its page of posts. If you have not read every post in this thread, you would have missed that discussion - that the IT guys intend to do no further work on it. People are still asking about it, despite the discussion and "resolution" being confirmed by the IT guys, because there's so much noise in this single thread containing all discussions about all the issues.

Please ask for clarification if I have failed again to make myself clear.

Sep 29, 2012
lemon cheese cake said:
Dear Wiggo said:
lemon cheese cake said:

Who would ask the mods to change the title to this? The person who asked for this issue to be fixed? In issues that have been mentioned by a few, some might not be satisfied. What would happen then?

If the IT guys have X amount of time to devote to the forum, once an issue has been resolved to their satisfaction, which is far more likely than being resolved to our satisfaction, that fact could have been communicated efficiently via a thread title update.

The mods have nothing to do with it. It's the developers who are paid to maintain the site that can make code changes and add or modify functionality. But not everything and not immediately. Status and ETA could be appended to threads dedicated to specific forum issues.

That's what I meant.

It's a couple of weeks since any of them posted; most of them signed up relatively close to the 'go-live' date for the change of forum software. I'd take that as a sign that, for the most part, the decision from above is that all is resolved and they can be moved onto the next project, save for occasional troubleshooting if the place goes to hell, in which case they'll be acting not to improve and upgrade but to restore and protect. Hopefully the next project gets warning ahead of time, rather than logging in one day to find that the whole forum is in an unusable beta.

So basically, this is the forum operating at optimum capabilities.

Yep.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Yep Libertine... The place is nuked, so it´s time for them (software guys) to move on. A sad story. We are left alone with the mess... But I guess cycnews hammered away numbers in their calculators and came to the conclusion "it was worth it". Less users, but more income from ads.

Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
It's a couple of weeks since any of them posted; most of them signed up relatively close to the 'go-live' date for the change of forum software. I'd take that as a sign that, for the most part, the decision from above is that all is resolved and they can be moved onto the next project, save for occasional troubleshooting if the place goes to hell, in which case they'll be acting not to improve and upgrade but to restore and protect. Hopefully the next project gets warning ahead of time, rather than logging in one day to find that the whole forum is in an unusable beta.

Yep.

Time for us to move elsewhere then. This forum is dead.

It was destroyed by ignorant people who didn't care to think through the possible consequences of their actions.

LOL don't think the forum is quite dead...........resting...maybe...recovery may be slow but we all move on

reading above makes me realise fow much thought is given to members.......ffs i never saw advance warning of 'upgrade' before trying to log on

and the forum was down for time which kept expanding

...........at least the adverts are good

Mark L

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
who could have guessed that banning all the good posters while letting bots troll and downgrading the forum to something from the 90s would make the forum look like a ghost town?

sam

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:

Yep.

Sorry, Pete's been off Sick and I have been in Norway for 2 weeks on Holiday - we are still here!

Sep 29, 2012

sam said:
Libertine Seguros said:

Yep.

Sorry, Pete's been off Sick and I have been in Norway for 2 weeks on Holiday - we are still here!

Did you do any Borealis watching? That's on my bucket list :D

lemon cheese cake said:
Please can we have an update on things that people have requested:
  • More than five URLs. This is really annoying to not have more. Not just the mentioned threads but sometimes on the original post of race threads.

Again, can we have a response (This can be anything from a timescale of getting it done, general info or saying it can't be done) from the Development people on these issues forum members have asked to be fixed or added in.

sam

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site
Q:

A:
  • Pete is looking at this - He's off sick again :(
  • They have gone, sorry
  • I am tinkering with this at the moment - but it seems "postid's" have changed so that might be interesting.
  • Its set to 10 for the past week, so if that's still not working then we have bigger issues.