• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What impact would Ricco have had?

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Is kind of funny how the ppl start calling Riccó... :)

Don't worry guys He will be here next year... maybe with Lampre if Il Principe goes to Sky or Garmin but is sure that He will be here... Andy couldn't drop El Pistolero so the solution is to bring the only one active who has been able to drop him and that person is Riccó...

Would be great having AC, Andy and Riccó next year, since Riccó and AC are not friends and Riccó is still mad at AC for what happened in Il Giro 08...

so Riccó move and hurry to sing with a PT team! :cool:

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Ryaguas said:
Is kind of funny how the ppl start calling Riccó... :)

Don't worry guys He will be here next year... maybe with Lampre if Il Principe goes to Sky or Garmin but is sure that He will be here... Andy couldn't drop El Pistolero so the solution is to bring the only one active who has been able to drop him and that person is Riccó...

Would be great having AC, Andy and Riccó next year, since Riccó and AC are not friends and Riccó is still mad at AC for what happened in Il Giro 08...

so Riccó move and hurry to sing with a PT team! :cool:

The problem is that even if Ricco can still ride good in the (supposedly) clean peloton and be clean himself he will still lose massive loads of time in the TT. And the Tour TTs aren't the same as Giro's. Pancake flat and 50+. And yet, he could only drop Contador when AC was clearly in not super form. I doubt that he can do anything against him when the two are in top form.

Wasn't Riccò more angry with Sella after that, after Sella paced Contador most of the way up Monte Pora?

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/road/2008//giro08/?id=results/giro0819

key bit:
"In the end, Contador always finds someone to help... we saw Sella and Pozzovivo [both of CSF Group]. They should have stayed on the wheel and let him pull, but maybe their DS told to them to pull," Riccò blasted.

He then aimed directly at Contador, saying, "Someone said that he is stronger on the climbs, but I don't know. I think that I have dropped him on every summit finish so far." On tomorrow's final day in the mountains, he added, "I hope Panaria [CSF Group] does not pull from behind."

Sella, who moved from eighth to seventh, was not impressed with Riccò's war of words. He responded, "I did not expect this from Riccò. I tried to attack for the classification; I saw that Simoni was gapped and so maybe I had a chance at the podium. I have to ask Riccò if he thinks he win the Giro.

"Riccò causes his problems; I want to ride my race. It was hard for me to win the stage today, and I tried to move up in the classification. I think that Riccò made a mistake to cause these problems, like always."

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Ricco is an obnoxious little turd - but at least he has the climbing smarts to realise he isnt going to ride Contador off his wheel like Schleck tried to today. And no way will he kiss him on the finish line. leave that to Sarkozy.

It's like Vino, they are bad boys, but at least racing is tons more fun when they are around. I realise I have turned 180 on Ricco, but Vino has been the most fun rider in this Tour and it is easier to forgive a bit of miscreancy than it is being dull.

Ricco is a flaming narcissist, who already refers to himself in the 3rd person, not unlike another unstable Italian who epitomized the spectacular benefits of an enhanced performance. I am sure that his return to cycling at the highest level will make great fodder for this forum, and we will all get the discomforting opportunity to watch him self-destruct in the public's eye.

But his contribution to cycling is akin to what Scwarzenegger or Stallone contribute to cinema... Nothing good!

Professional cycling is far better off without him.

Talking of that other Italian, it's a real shame that his (real or fake, it doesn't matter) twitter stopped being updated. Announcements like "The diLuca is innocent and will clear my name" were great, and telling Cadel Evans (on the day of his puncture at the Vuelta) not to consider that he has bad fortune "until you have your own countrymen conspiring against you" were great, but my absolute favourite would have to be this gem, posted the day his 'B' samples returning positive were announced: ":("

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure I read that Alberto and Ricco get on very well and as such Ricco named his new born child Alberto in honour of his rival. I see Contador as someone who is well respected by his rivals and a quite likeable guy, regardless of what happened with Schleck and the chain.

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Delicato said:
The problem is that even if Ricco can still ride good in the (supposedly) clean peloton and be clean himself he will still lose massive loads of time in the TT. And the Tour TTs aren't the same as Giro's. Pancake flat and 50+. And yet, he could only drop Contador when AC was clearly in not super form. I doubt that he can do anything against him when the two are in top form.

I know all those facts... but what I say is that with Riccó we will have more action in the mountains... that guy is crazy! He is like Vino always attack, always like the war of words and that spices the races, Riccó has a NO GIFT rule, He is always trying something and that would be nice to has again in La Grande Boucle... We are looking for emotions, aren't we? What better rider for that task than Riccó?

roundabout said:
Drop or not, Ricco doesn't let friendships hold him back. ;)

+100 EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winterfold said:
Ricco is an obnoxious little turd - but at least he has the climbing smarts to realise he isnt going to ride Contador off his wheel like Schleck tried to today. And no way will he kiss him on the finish line. leave that to Sarkozy.

It's like Vino, they are bad boys, but at least racing is tons more fun when they are around. I realise I have turned 180 on Ricco, but Vino has been the most fun rider in this Tour and it is easier to forgive a bit of miscreancy than it is being dull.

I know that Riccó is really inmature and his EGO is bigger than Le Tourmalet but that kind of rider would spice the race with his words and controversials declarations... Riccó really likes to be the bad @$$ in the peloton and I'm pretty sure that he is not afraid to attack even if He knows that he is not going to win... He is kindda crazy and La Grande Boucle needs that right now...

So I say: BRING RICCÓ NOW...!!!

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
IMO there is the misconception that Ricco can climb with Contador based on their performances in the 2008 Giro. What is forgotten is that Contador didn't have the preparation that his fellow competitors had and what also is forgotten is that Contador was involved in a crash early in the Giro that hindered his ability to climb out of the saddle and likely adversely affected his climbing overall. Granted Ricco's aggressive nature would definitely have made for an exciting Tour....up until his attacks were countered by Contador and Andy Schleck who then would likely have attacked Ricco leaving him muttering to himself about cabanna boys and Schleck doppelgangers just as Frank Schleck cruises by him.

Nevertheless I'd enjoy seeing Ricco animate the Tour the same way Vino did this year and in his prime.

May 22, 2010
Visit site
its questionable whether ricco can animate a race the way he used to, sans illicit supplements. vino animated the Tour this year, but without casting aspersions, precisely what that proves isn't completely clear..

ttrider

BANNED
Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
id love to see Ricco back it would be pure entertainment because he would make Schleck look like Cancellara in a tt
I think eventually he wont be far off that 2008 Giro level he would probably be in the hunt ad he is an animator of a race like vino

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
That guy needs to find another job. Little ******* even informed on his own girlfriend. He would do nothing in the Tour. Plus his climbing abilities are now just moderate without the dope.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
I also can't wait for Ricco to return to the gt's next year. he's better than ever this year already and only 26, he has improved alot over the past 2 years physically. Hé the next Vino in terms of excitement and entertainment for us cyclingfans. we need someone like him, who isn't an asskisser trying to make friends in the peloton. the schlecks make me sick

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
riccobebloed.jpg

this, people is the determination of a true champion. a true winner...

TRENDING THREADS