• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is Pate really saying here?

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
In the "Pate calls for stricter doping punishments", I'm trying to understand what he's saying regarding the media.

“They have a place in the fight against doping too. Just like world or local news you only hear or see what the media want you to see. So if every story is about doping then that’s all you see in the news. Lately there have been stories about amateur cyclists but why are they on a professional cycling news board?”

Is he seriously asking the media to not cover the doping stories?

And hey Pate, how about asking the riders to stop doping.

eta: on the other hand, I do agree with taking the 'processing' out of the national federation. And I would add out of the UCI's hands.

this_is_edie said:
In the "Pate calls for stricter doping punishments", I'm trying to understand what he's saying regarding the media.

eta: on the other hand, I do agree with taking the 'processing' out of the national federation. And I would add out of the UCI's hands.

Or, even better, report on the ones you know that are or were doping. Not like he hasn't met one or two of them.

Dave.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
this_is_edie said:

I would guess with his history and reputation as a clean rider he'd like to see some positive stories about the sport. He would be naive to think anyone other than the hacks at Rodale Press want to go out on a limb and promote an image; only to have it come back and mock them as shallow journalists. Unfortunately for him and the teams that actually might be making an effort those examples appear in the minority. That we talk about amateurs doping on a Pro based forum is indicative of how the sh*t is trickling down...not up.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
He wants a world body not national body to deal with sanctions but he fails to say how that will get around each countries laws.
So some one is sanctioned by this new body and the country he lives in cant do anything to stop him riding at home..
ounce sanctioned by your country you cant get a licence so that is the end

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
He wants a world body not national body to deal with sanctions but he fails to say how that will get around each countries laws.
So some one is sanctioned by this new body and the country he lives in cant do anything to stop him riding at home..

we all know that in a world were juniors are doping hard, just like veterans and amateurs, our pro thing as no hope and believing that someone is clean is pure hypocrisy.

we need jesus.

He's saying:

1) the press (and us) report on pro cycling
2) the press (and us) report on doping in pro cycling
3) the press (and us) do not report on amateur cycling
4) the press (and us) report on doping in amateur cycling.

Because of (3) and (4), the number of stories about doping that are published are statistically better represented in comparison to stories about doping that exist, than the number of stories about racing that are published in comparison to stories about racing that exist.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:

I want to say "don't be disingenuous" but maybe that's jumping the gun, and instead i should be saying "don't be so closed minded and set in your ways". Whatever.

The idea behind an independent world body ruling on doping matters would NATURALLY involve that body being able to cancel a rider's licence. Each country's laws? Doesn't come into it, when you get your licence I assume you sign a document stating you won't engage in illegal conduct such as using PEDS....therefore if the central body finds you used PEDS, your national fed has no choice but to cancel your card.

The REAL problem with this system, is getting it into place. WADA might be best positioned to do that...they could select the panel members too (from professionals they know, not from their ranks). The UCI has been too much of a lazy bully to ever have a hope of getting it set up, not that they'd ever have the guts to try.

But it is what pro cycling needs. Apart from keeping judgements consistent, it should also mean much quicker decisions, which is so obviously needed.

Damiano Machiavelli said:
He is asking The Clinic not to discuss amateur doping. :p

"Amateur doping" - defined by Napster's dictionary as:

"Using illegal performance enhancing methods in such an unlikely way as to later be found positive in a doping test and without having prepared a sufficiently unlikely excuse for said positive test or not having prepared a signed and properly backdated Therapeutic Use Exemption certificate. See also: Steak, Tour of Switzerland, Non-denial denial, Munchhausen."

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
In context, since he knows at least a couple of dopers, he should help the sport out.

(sorry for repeating myself)

Dave.

Yep, and I think you should turn in your friends and neighbors for speeding, illegal parking, tax evasion, etc. All for the larger good you know.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Or, even better, report on the ones you know that are or were doping. Not like he hasn't met one or two of them.

Dave.

Without evidence he leaves himself open to legal action and alienates himself from the peloton, affecting his cycling career. There's a reason cyclists only whistle-blow once they've been caught or retired.

9000ft said:
Yep, and I think you should turn in your friends and neighbors for speeding, illegal parking, tax evasion, etc. All for the larger good you know.

I live in Vancouver. Me and my fellow residents are turning in our neighbors as quickly as we can for besmirching our city. This includes the parents of one of hte offenders.

Not. Tolerated. Here.

If you don't give a sh*t about your community, then maybe you should just speak for yourself.

Dave.