• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is the 11th Biggest Win in Road Cycling?

Which is the Most Prestigious?

• TdF Green Jersey

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • UCI World Tour

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • AGR or FW

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Gent-Wevelgem

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • PN or TA or Basque

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • TdF Champs-Elysées

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Worlds ITT

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Re:

Singer01 said:
I'd rather have the criterium de dauphine, tour de Suisse or polka dot jersey than a number of the options. Having said that a win on the Champs-Elysees is pretty special.

The problem with Dauphine is that the race will always be tagged as a preparation race.
Maybe we could have a poll on the ranking of one-week races

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Is UCI World Tour option UCI WT ranking? If yes, then there's no contest. Other options are pretty much of the same importance

Asero831 said:
We all know the 3 GTs, 5 Monuments, WCRR and OGRR.
These are the Big 10..

No, we don't. The in-line World Championships and Olympic race are too dependent on their routes.

Worlds in Mendrisio or Valkenburg = Liège-Bastogne-Liège

Worlds in Doha or Richmond = Gullegem Koerse

Olympics in Rio or Peking = Amstel Gold

Olympics in Sydney or London = Izegem Koerse.

Otherwise the ITT World Championship and Olympics are probably among the top races in the calendar in that they are reserved only for the strongest. You cannot cheat, you cannot suck wheels, so only the best physically and mentally can win.

Amstel Gold nowadays > Tour of Flanders.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Green Jersey in the Tour will definitely get you more recognition than winning Paris-Nice or Pais Vasco. So I'd go with that. I think a lot of people underestimate it because Sagan makes it look easy. Boonen for example got a lot more media attention in Belgium for winning the green jersey than GVA got for winning the Tirreno-Adriatico.

Re:

El Pistolero said:
Green Jersey in the Tour will definitely get you more recognition than winning Paris-Nice or Pais Vasco. So I'd go with that. I think a lot of people underestimate it because Sagan makes it look easy. Boonen for example got a lot more media attention in Belgium for winning the green jersey than GVA got for winning the Tirreno-Adriatico.
A 5th place in the Tour GC will also get you more attention than any one week race or classic...

I honestly think that historically at least the polka dots are worth way more than the green jersey. Sprinters already have more chances to win stuff than anybody else, and besides the importance of the maillot vert even to the people contending for it seems to fluctuate depending on how close they are to actually winning it (right, Cav?). I would take a single stage win at the Tour over the green jersey without a stage win anytime. The recognition from the green jersey comes from the fact that you have to be up there several days to win it, not from the points competition itself.

The Champs-Elysées sprint is a real "WGAF?" moment too. Don't think it's worth anything other than a bit of unofficial bragging rights. Certainly nothing compared to the most prestigious week-stage-races and non-monument Classics.

Notwithstanding that the prestige obviously varies wildly depending on the type of rider you are, because most riders aren't in the position to win all of the 10 races you name anyway. I find sprint races to be eminently forgettable and can't even tell you who won on the Champs Elysées last year, so I don't think anything that's a pure sprint without offering the challenge to the sprinters to make it to the end merits consideration. Out of races that the sprinters can and do win, nobody's mentioned Paris-Tours which is a much brighter spot on a sprinter's palmarès. Even the S**********s is a brighter spot on a sprinter's palmarès, although in that case the bright spot is the candle used in the satanic invocation rite. For stage races, the Itzulia often has one of the best fields, routes and competition levels, but for history probably the Tour de Suisse is highest, although terrible route design in recent years hurts it. Also no mention of Omloop, the season's traditional opener.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

Netserk said:
El Pistolero said:
A 5th place in the Tour GC will also get you more attention than any one week race or classic...

Not really, nobody remembers a fifth place.

Once upon a time were the "classiques", until some lobotomized individuals with nothing else to do decided to create five monuments. Of all the races who lost the status, la FW is my vote.

Or maybe Stage 2 of the Ruta del Sol should be elevated to monument status, since my buddy Tibopino won it today. And Nacer would get even with Demare, having won last year's Stage 2 :p.

TRENDING THREADS