• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is the 11th Biggest Win in Road Cycling?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which is the Most Prestigious?

• TdF Green Jersey

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • UCI World Tour

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • AGR or FW

Votes: 8 15.4%
  • Gent-Wevelgem

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • PN or TA or Basque

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • TdF Champs-Elysées

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Worlds ITT

Votes: 10 19.2%

• Total voters
Re: Re:

Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
Netserk said:
Got any google searches to back that up? :lol:

Yes, compare Frank Vandenbroucke to Jurgen van den Broeck.
Jurgen Van den Broeck: 382.000 google hits
Frank Vandenbroucke: 344.000 google hits
The funny thing is that Pickle skewed the comparison in his favor. My quote was: "A 5th place in the Tour GC will also get you more attention than any one week race or classic"

In this context, classic was obviously a non-monument classic. And then he provides a rider with a monument win, yet is still proven wrong by his own metric :eek:

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Asero831 said:
UCI World Tour #1 is an underrated achievement imo
It is at par with the Green Jersey

UCI World Tour is way, way bigger than Green Jersey, or any other race in this poll. Just look who won the competition (I include previous year-end competitions, Desgrange-Colombo, Super Pernod, UCI World Ranking). It's basically who's who in history of cycling. Only biggest riders won that competion, Coppi, Kubler, Anquetil, Merckx, Maertens, Hinault, Kelly, Indurain, Jalabert, etc. Just look at how Peter Sagan was overjoyed when he won it last year. By significance, I would compare it with a Monument win at least.

World Tour ranking is not an achievement, it's a rating depending on a given point system that is debatable as such.

Point classification, ditto. If you win 8 stage at the Tour of France, you of necessity have the Point classification. Yet you have already been praised for these 8 stage wins. It means you would make two "achievements" with one and the same performance. Only the intermediate sprints alter the result but what is an intermediate sprint. Point classifications of any stage races should be removed in my opinion but I know this won't happen.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Echoes said:
World Tour ranking is not an achievement, it's a rating depending on a given point system that is debatable as such.

Point classification, ditto. If you win 8 stage at the Tour of France, you of necessity have the Point classification. Yet you have already been praised for these 8 stage wins. It means you would make two "achievements" with one and the same performance. Only the intermediate sprints alter the result but what is an intermediate sprint. Point classifications of any stage races should be removed in my opinion but I know this won't happen.

Yeah, but to win that rating is an achievement

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
Netserk said:

You need to place your search term between quotation marks, so it only gives you results where the full name is used. Frank Vandenbroucke has more hits than Jurgen van den Broeck this way. Van den Broeck is quite a common surname. Vandenbroucke less so because it's an older spelling of the word.

Frank Vandenbroucke also has three times the number of videos on youtube, despite not having been active when youtube started. Although Vandenbroucke is only a legend in Belgium, I doubt many people outside of Belgium know of him. The same can be said about Jurgen van den Broeck though, and he's not even considered a legend in Belgium.

El Pistolero said:
Hugo Koblet said:
El Pistolero said:
Netserk said:

You need to place your search term between quotation marks, so it only gives you results where the full name is used. Frank Vandenbroucke has more hits than Jurgen van den Broeck this way. Van den Broeck is quite a common surname. Vandenbroucke less so because it's an older spelling of the word.

Literally just got home from work and found this gem! What a thread. :lol:

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Mr.White said:
Echoes said:

Sagan didn't win the most amount of stages in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016. Him winning the green jersey is impressive and a reward for his consistency

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Tonton said:
Once upon a time were the "classiques", until some lobotomized individuals with nothing else to do decided to create five monuments. Of all the races who lost the status, la FW is my vote.

Or maybe Stage 2 of the Ruta del Sol should be elevated to monument status, since my buddy Tibopino won it today. And Nacer would get even with Demare, having won last year's Stage 2 :p.

FW was an actually interesting race in the past, and also longer, but now it has become a boring race with a very predictable result. It doesn't have the length of a real classic anymore. It's just not that important anymore in today's cycling. I personally rate Strade Bianche higher than it.

How many hits for Frank Vandenbroucke, the politician homonym of the clinical "cyclist"? :D

The achievements are the performances in races that account for this award wins. If you consider them all you don't need to rate the award itself, it's just judging twice the same thing. It's a good indicator but not a performance in itself.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Echoes said:
How many hits for Frank Vandenbroucke, the politician homonym of the clinical "cyclist"? :D

The achievements are the performances in races that account for this award wins. If you consider them all you don't need to rate the award itself, it's just judging twice the same thing. It's a good indicator but not a performance in itself.

Probably not much, politicians are boring, especially him.

Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
Echoes said:

Well, I don't agree. You can compare this with for example Formula One Championship, or ATP year-end No.1. You got races/tournaments as award itself, and then you have the ultimate prize at the end of the year to determine who really was the most successful and most consistent one.

Mr.White said:
Echoes said:

Well, I don't agree. You can compare this with for example Formula One Championship, or ATP year-end No.1. You got races/tournaments as award itself, and then you have the ultimate prize at the end of the year to determine who really was the most successful and most consistent one.

In Formula 1 all races count the same (except for one occasion when everybody collectively lost the plot). Also everybody generally competes in the same number of events and has the same competitors in every race. And of course the variations of competitiveness of cars on different circuits and conditions have far less effect on results than the terrain in cycling.

You can make an argument for any of FW, GW, Amstel and the ITT WC. One week stage races, individual stages, UCI points competitions and minor jerseys do not belong in the discussion.

I suspect that the main reason why ridiculous thing like the Tour points jersey, the Champs Elysee and the UCI World Tour are being pushed as particularly important by some is that exaggerating their significance adds to the lustre of certain very popular riders palmares (e.g. Sagan, Cavendish, Valverde). Tour de Suisse would have been a reasonable contender at some points in history, but it has been just another warm up race for a long time and even somewhat overshadowed by other warm up races.

TRENDING THREADS