• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is the best Grand Tour of the year?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What was the best GT this year

• Total voters
I really like the green jersey's competition and I thought it was terribly boring this year. Also, the sprinters were all over the place and I'd consider really only Philipsen to be an elite sprinter here with Ewan and DG being out of form. Sagan making a decent comeback and finishing was nice though. MvdP being out of form really sucked the air out of a lot of the fun for me.

I'd give the Tour a 7/10 because I understand it was entertaining from a GC point of view though.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Perhaps because people remember 1989 where the two favourites swapped positions in GC several times, or 1987 where the first four riders in the final GC held the yellow jersey at some point during the second half of the race. This year has been good, but compared to those... not even close.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Thought this year was the best Tour in a long time, but if this year was a 9, what would 89 be? Would have to go all the way to 11.

Tour way ahead of Giro/Vuelta this year and I really liked the lack of big bunch finishes at the Tour. Again reminding me of the early Tours I followed. Long may it continue .

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. Thought this year was the best Tour in a long time, but if this year was a 9, what would 89 be? Would have to go all the way to 11.

Tour way ahead of Giro/Vuelta this year and I really liked the lack of big bunch finishes at the Tour. Again reminding me of the early Tours I followed. Long may it continue .

Or we could just compare it to Grand Tours of the current era instead of absolutely having to apply it to the same scale as what happened 33 years ago...

I treasure the Giro the most simply because of the wonderful scenery. But the Tour gave us an exciting battle of the youngsters between Pogi and Vingegaard this year, so for that reason I voted for le Tour.

PS - The Vuelta... most of the time I did not care for the scenery, and just way too many riders that I like had to abandon due to injury. I'm very happy for Remco, Pedersen, and Carapaz, but the loss of Alaphilippe, Jay Vine, aaaand Rogla is just something I cannot overlook. I think the race would have been better with them in it.

Last edited:
I really like the green jersey's competition and I thought it was terribly boring this year. Also, the sprinters were all over the place and I'd consider really only Philipsen to be an elite sprinter here with Ewan and DG being out of form. Sagan making a decent comeback and finishing was nice though. MvdP being out of form really sucked the air out of a lot of the fun for me.

I'd give the Tour a 7/10 because I understand it was entertaining from a GC point of view though.

Think this was one of the toughest Tours for the sprinters in a long time. Personally I loved it, we are so used to seeing 6-7 boring bunch sprints every year, this year seemed weird. People don't seem to realise that was not the norm until sprint trains took over from mid 90s onwards. Between 1989-92 for example, there was 9 bunch sprints in total. Le Tour 1987, 25 road stages with only 4 bunch sprints. Big part of the reason I think it's silly to compare sprinters across generations based solely on numbers. Hard to rack up Big numbers when you get precious little chances.

Is Jakobsen not an elite sprinter? and DG won a stage so not sure how he was out of form. Van Aert was up there as well, some difference in his form from week 1 last year to this year. I don't think Philipsen was necessarily faster than the rest, I just think he is a better all rounder and survived through a tough Tour better than the likes of FJ or DG. Ewan was clearly out of form.

Or we could just compare it to Grand Tours of the current era instead of absolutely having to apply it to the same scale as what happened 33 years ago...

So when exactly would this current era start? I think there are enough posters around who remember the Tours from the 80s to have those Tours valued as well. Since the time it happend, the 89 Tour has been widely considered the greatest Tour ever and even a quick read through a race summary would explain why.

So when exactly would this current era start? I think there are enough posters around who remember the Tours from the 80s to have those Tours valued as well. Since the time it happend, the 89 Tour has been widely considered the greatest Tour ever and even a quick read through a race summary would explain why.

I'm a bit more partial to 1986 but 1989 was pretty crazy as well.

I think the Tour was in a bit of a rut for a while but I think 2019 turned a corner and while 2019 was frustrating due to the early ending of a key climbing stage due to weather things have gotten better in terms of promise.

It's also about Wout as well. I think Mads is ready to step up to the TDF Green Jersey competition and be competitive with Wout or even beat him.

I think we'll see more GC conterenders become stage hunters in the upcoming TDFs because barring injury, etc. GC is going to be a bear.

I always give 8s :p.

Not even close, as so many already stated. So what now?

When you look at the winners' list for GTs since Hinault...not even close. And Le Tour has increased the gap in 2022, more than ever it is THE race.

Il Giro and La Vuelta have to find a way to get Vingo and Pog, and Remco...easier said than done. Maybe design is the answer...

Bottom line: Allez Tadej Pogacar! He didn't win one of the three, but he made a fan out of me.

Tour has to take the crown this year. Likely there won't be such edition for years to come. Vuelta was good too. But here we where cheated a bit from sports side of things as Roglič had to abandon. And without Roglič in this race in the first place. It would likely be a rather boring race and over in under a week. Giro disappointed due to anemic riding.

Tour has to take the crown this year. Likely there won't be such edition for years to come. Vuelta was good too. But here we where cheated a bit from sports side of things as Roglič had to abandon. And without Roglič in this race in the first place. It would likely be a rather boring race and over in under a week. Giro disappointed due to anemic riding.
Giro failed because the top three were very close on level until stage 20. The tour we were cheated because Roglic was injured and had to withdraw. The Vuelta was good but not great. When one rider is simply stronger and a diesel in the mountains it is effective but boring to watch unless you are lifted by patriotism.

I'm going with the Giro.
If I really have to be honest, yes this was the best TdF in years and yes it was definitely the best GT of the year... BUT...

• The insane and dare I say ridiculous amount of WvA showboating
  • The insane and dare I say ridiculous strenght of Jumbo
  • The feeling of being back in the old Us Postal / Skyborgs times

Make me vote the Giro.
At least there were some very decent performances from MVDP, and lots of wheelies nonetheless.
Also Girmay almost blinded by a cork must be a first :p

Giro failed because the top three were very close on level until stage 20. The tour we were cheated because Roglic was injured and had to withdraw. The Vuelta was good but not great. When one rider is simply stronger and a diesel in the mountains it is effective but boring to watch unless you are lifted by patriotism.

Roglič will always have stage 11 of Tour 22. To balance out his defeat at Tour 20. Hence he was still pivotal in regards to Tour 22. Without Roglič it's rather safe to say Tour 22 as we seen it wouldn't have happened. What i am sure that he is not happy about is some kid beating him at Vuetla. But there will be other GTs to try to correct that. Still if you take Roglič out of Vuelta 22. It would likely be worse then Giro 22. On Giro 22 in i way i can understand on why Hindley decided to take the path he did. But from the sports side of it. Well it was a pain to watch.

Roglič will always have stage 11 of Tour 22. To balance out his defeat at Tour 20. Hence he was still pivotal in regards to Tour 22. Without Roglič it's rather safe to say Tour 22 as we seen it wouldn't have happened. What i am sure that he is not happy about is some kid beating him at Vuetla. But there will be other GTs to try to correct that. Still if you take Roglič out of Vuelta 22. It would likely be worse then Giro 22. On Giro 22 in i way i can understand on why Hindley decided to take the path he did. But from the sports side of it. Well it was a pain to watch.
Well I am Australian but yes I can see why the Giro was painful, most of the action was stage 20 in the last 3 km.
But on Roglič, the only thing that would avenge the 2020 TdF would be to win the TdF. Stage 11 might have been satisfying but he will be left with unfinished business. I am also of the opinion he has been treated poorly by JV - Vingo I have a bad taste about. Plus stage 11 was as much about poor choices by Pog as Roglič’s luring him to waste energy.

Reactions: CyclistAbi
So Roglic can tell Vingo, "We'll always have Paris"

Reactions: CyclistAbi
Well I am Australian but yes I can see why the Giro was painful, most of the action was stage 20 in the last 3 km.
But on Roglič, the only thing that would avenge the 2020 TdF would be to win the TdF. Stage 11 might have been satisfying but he will be left with unfinished business. I am also of the opinion he has been treated poorly by JV - Vingo I have a bad taste about. Plus stage 11 was as much about poor choices by Pog as Roglič’s luring him to waste energy.

If you are an Australian you are obliged to vote for Giro. No other race comes close then. You have my full support on that one.

As for Roglič i would imagine he is rather fine now. In this regard. He doesn't have to obsess with Tour and beating Pogi on the Tour anymore. On top of that he got Pogi off his wheel. As for JV and supporting Roglič on the Tour. I agree with that being a far cry. In 23 hence Rogla will likely have to do Giro - Vuelta double. And maybe to go to Tour in 24. Preferably as UCI No.1.

Reactions: Cookster15

TRENDING THREADS