• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is the rule with TDF riders and pain killers?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Dimtick said:
I jsut wondering what the rule is with TDF riders and pain killers. I've heard that riders in the TDF are not allowed to take any pain killers, even asprin.
What if the rider is taken to the hospital? In a case like Hoogerland who receieved 30+ stiches from hitting a barb wire fence, please tell me that doctors can give him something and his doesn't have to suffer while being stiched up?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. If it has, if someone could give me a link to the other discussion.

Here's the reason that Tramadol is taken. It's both a weak opiate and has effects on seratonin/norephineprine. Combine that with caffeine and you get a magical combination that does the following:
1. Numbs the pain (opiate effect)
2. Takes nerves away (seratonin)
3.Increases focus/situational awareness which helps when others are getting sloppy due to fatigue. (norephineprine)
4.Gives a slight power boost (research CNS central governor theory)

The caffeine boosts the dopamine/acetylcholine/serotonin effects, and the Tramadol kicks up some of the more important effects that it has. The downside is that it is incredibly addictive. It helps you dig and hurt more. The problem is when you're already hurting (hypothecially, during a 3 week stage race), you would want to rely on it whenever you had sore legs.

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
Hemassist said:
Here's the reason that Tramadol is taken. It's both a weak opiate and has effects on seratonin/norephineprine. Combine that with caffeine and you get a magical combination that does the following:
1. Numbs the pain (opiate effect)
2. Takes nerves away (seratonin)
3.Increases focus/situational awareness which helps when others are getting sloppy due to fatigue. (norephineprine)
4.Gives a slight power boost (research CNS central governor theory)

The caffeine boosts the dopamine/acetylcholine/serotonin effects, and the Tramadol kicks up some of the more important effects that it has. The downside is that it is incredibly addictive. It helps you dig and hurt more. The problem is when you're already hurting (hypothecially, during a 3 week stage race), you would want to rely on it whenever you had sore legs.

Also, I wonder if this is why there's such a big reliance on SSRI after cycling. Tramadol withdrawl causes SSRI withdrawl syndrome.

Here's some advanced reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSRI_discontinuation_syndrome

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/creativity-way-life/201107/fireworks-or-brain-zaps

Dimtick said:
I jsut wondering what the rule is with TDF riders and pain killers. I've heard that riders in the TDF are not allowed to take any pain killers, even asprin.
What if the rider is taken to the hospital? In a case like Hoogerland who receieved 30+ stiches from hitting a barb wire fence, please tell me that doctors can give him something and his doesn't have to suffer while being stiched up?

Sorry if this has been discussed before. If it has, if someone could give me a link to the other discussion.

Simply go to the WADA site and check out the current list of banned substances and figure it out!

Catwhoorg said:
Dowsett Speaking out against tramadol (and sleeping pill) use.

Don't have access to the full article.

Interesting that he admits using it during training. I do wonder if he puts a date on it in the article.

I can see Dowsett being somewhat conservative when it comes to stuff like this, being a haemophiliac he wouldn't want to risk anything that makes him likely to crash.