• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is up with "EPOboost" ads in Velonews magazine?

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I've seen these for a while. What kind of a bizarro world that a cycling magazine would be running such ads. Though in fairness I don't recall them being a particularly strident or even mocking or spiteful mag regarding dopers. But still it just looks so bad. To actually market something under that name. Sickening.

I love it when the manufacturers of these products answer serious questions on their web pages like:

How does it work?

"EPIC-BOAST™ safely stimulates your body’s natural production of the erythropoietin (EPO) hormone to increases the body’s oxygen carrying capacity and has been shown in controlled human clinical studies to significantly increase athletic performance and endurance..."

Which to no ones surprise doesn't actually answer the question.

They also forgot to list the number one reason for taking this or similar 'supplements'.

1) You have waaaay too much money. :)

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Why wouldn't you enjoy the thrill of having the oxygen flow through you when you are just leisurely riding?

Remember, PEDs are only wrong to take because it's against the rules.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I can't help but think of the ads as magazine spam. See! Online forums aren't the only ones that have trouble with spam. :D

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
Nick C. said:
Though in fairness I don't recall them being a particularly strident or even mocking or spiteful mag regarding dopers.

Actually Velonews played a large part in getting Michael Rasmussen thrown out of the 2007 TDF. Remember their whole Whitney Richards story. Yeah they did their part in riling everyone up. The thought that an "american" might not win that year must have been too much for them.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
FitSsikS said:
I love it when the manufacturers of these products answer serious questions on their web pages like:

How does it work?

"EPIC-BOAST™ safely stimulates your body’s natural production of the erythropoietin (EPO) hormone to increases the body’s oxygen carrying capacity and has been shown in controlled human clinical studies to significantly increase athletic performance and endurance..."

So if you get caught by the passport you can just say you took some of this stuff right?

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
FitSsikS said:

How does it work?

Which to no ones surprise doesn't actually answer the question.

They also forgot to list the number one reason for taking this or similar 'supplements'.

1) You have waaaay too much money. :)

Epic-boast? Seriously, why would you need to trade mark this term. If some fool wants to flush his money down the toilet then more power him, he can epic-boast himself to climax for all i care.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Nick C. said:
I've seen these for a while. What kind of a bizarro world that a cycling magazine would be running such ads. Though in fairness I don't recall them being a particularly strident or even mocking or spiteful mag regarding dopers. But still it just looks so bad. To actually market something under that name. Sickening.

I'm 99% sure it's a Google services ad, it's targeted based on your search history. That doesn't mean you have visited EPO Boost site but could have searched vitamins, medicines, etc and the marketer of EPO boost targets visitors who browse, cycling and/or nutrition, etc.

Velonews appear only to have one of their own homepage banners (Colorado Cyclist), the rest are Google Ads sourced.

TRENDING THREADS