• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What is up with Fumiyuki Beppu?

May 11, 2009
Visit site
OK, Beppu has shown up on several of Lance's teams, but, aside from a few minor showing in Asian races, has yet to distinguish himself as a rider. I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about the guy, but I keep seeing him show up on rosters of top end teams and am left wondering where the top end results are that should follow?

Why is Beppu on a Radioshack contract when there are a hundred CAT 1 US riders that would kill for a chance to ride with a pro-squad?

I have no answers on this one, just curious.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:
OK, Beppu has shown up on several of Lance's teams, but, aside from a few minor showing in Asian races, has yet to distinguish himself as a rider. I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about the guy, but I keep seeing him show up on rosters of top end teams and am left wondering where the top end results are that should follow?

Why is Beppu on a Radioshack contract when there are a hundred CAT 1 US riders that would kill for a chance to ride with a pro-squad?

Fumi is far above any US Cat1. He was a pretty good amateur on a very good team. He has finished the Tour and has animated a few races. He could have a breakout year.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
You can say he's the 2nd major japanese cyclist and as you probably know Japan is one of the most interesting Countries for many sponsors.

Actually Im more surprised to see Fuyu Li back on Armstrong team as he's well above the 30s and there are many other interesting chinese riders.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
But you are right: He is Asian, and the team's powers feel they need an Asian; Mostly he's there because Lance feels good with him, and Lance is loyal to those he likes. Maybe Beppu will have that breakout year: He's due.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I have to say I liked his kit when he rode for Discovery Channel and was the Japanese NRR and TT champion. But yeah, Fuyu Li is a random signing.

gree0232 said:

Radio Shack=Electronics=Japan=Electronics=Sponsors

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
The reason Beppu was signed is part of the whole getting the band back together theme of RadioShack. LA and JB only want riders that they can trust 100% to do as told and follow the program no matter what and keep their mouths shut unless repeating their prepared statements .The Li signing is purely for the sponsers, namely Trek. Trek, like countless other US based companies, can't resist going after the brass ring and are trying to sell a billion bikes in the untapped Chinese market. They probably hope that Li helps them get their foot/brand in the door.

I don't know about questioning his 'top end results', as he has been in tons of breakaways and almost stayed away a few times. These characteristics could be used to describe about 2/3 of the peloton, so his abilities don't seem to be any more questionable than most cyclists on a ProTour team.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
ScottinPhilly said:
The reason Beppu was signed is part of the whole getting the band back together theme of RadioShack. LA and JB only want riders that they can trust 100% to do as told and follow the program no matter what and keep their mouths shut unless repeating their prepared statements .The Li signing is purely for the sponsers, namely Trek. Trek, like countless other US based companies, can't resist going after the brass ring and are trying to sell a billion bikes in the untapped Chinese market. They probably hope that Li helps them get their foot/brand in the door.

Yeah because I'm sure beppu will be part of Lance's race schedule. Like first lieutenant or something right! If they race once this year together it would be a complete and total surprise. Beppu was signed for the same reason Li was. Period the Asian market. And, he is possibly the best rider from Japan in pro cycling. Not because he is a yes man and will toe the line for the "band".

Shack outdo Sky in the "Lets Make a False Transfer" claim.
At least they didn't put Wiggins down on their official team roster.
Explains the ongoing saga with Zubeldia, too.

Still what the boys want, they will probably get.
Pat "the fixer" McQuaid will probably send in the UCI auditors and threaten Skil with an increased bank guarrantee, a la Astana, unless they release Bruyneel's phantom signing.

Like I've said. A pair of grifters.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Shack outdo Sky in the "Lets Make a False Transfer" claim.
At least they didn't put Wiggins down on their official team roster.
Explains the ongoing saga with Zubeldia, too.

Still what the boys want, they will probably get.
Pat "the fixer" McQuaid will probably send in the UCI auditors and threaten Skil with an increased bank guarrantee, a la Astana, unless they release Bruyneel's phantom signing.

Like I've said. A pair of grifters.

with the financial issues from last year and the Astana money people the requirements that UCI is demanding IMO is not past reasonable. The past years financial dealings were past understandable. He'll they are lucky they made it past the giro last year. The UCI could have pulled the plug then. The kaz do not have a good track record period.

Article with haimar quotes on front of cn sure sounds like a done deal!

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Our news arm are catching up:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/skil-shimano-expect-beppu-to-stay

Seems no one thought to tell Skil and JB isn't taking their calls.
Corporate business tactics in pro cycling's marketplace?

....and folks have been calling Sky's "poaching" of riders, unacceptable.:rolleyes:

So you and I both read the same article and what you got out of that is JB isn't taking their calls? They have not talked as of yet. Meaning he just isn't taking their calls?

Well, nobody could accuse you of being an extremist I guess. :cool:

Might it have to do with the fact that Johan is in Belgium in meetings at Nike? Or, maybe he is just ducking and diving.

I guess we can just agree to disagree. Maybe get both sides of a story before you throw down accusations so completely.

Oct 31, 2009
Visit site
gree0232 said:

Beppu is on twitter. :D

gree0232 said:

I'd argue that he has distinguished himself.... he's obviously demonstrated that he's a capable and reliable domestique and they are as an important asset to a team as a "star" rider.

TRENDING THREADS