• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What now for Cadel Evans?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Cadel has proven that he's a champion and I'll be satisfied with whatever route he takes in this last part of his career. He's still riding at a very high level, and I'd love to see him target other races besides the Grand Tours if high placings are the only sporting results that can keep him interested in the sport.

If he retires, I hope he becomes a Eurosport commentator or takes over for a retiring Phil Liggett (should Phil Liggett ever retire) for the American market. :p

May 28, 2012
Visit site
He should just retire together with Hushovd and Sanchez, unless they are willing to step back into domestique roles. Now they're all in their year to far as leaders, so to speak. But it would be depressing to see former Olympic, World, TdF champions riding for a 6th place in GC for Tejay.

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
Cadel has proven that he's a champion and I'll be satisfied with whatever route he takes in this last part of his career. He's still riding at a very high level, and I'd love to see him target other races besides the Grand Tours if high placings are the only sporting results that can keep him interested in the sport.

If he retires, I hope he becomes a Eurosport commentator or takes over for a retiring Phil Liggett (should Phil Liggett ever retire) for the American market. :p

Dear god, if I had to listen to that squeaky voice for 3-4 hours I'd go nuts.

Peter von said:
I hope he continues a few more years, GreenEdge is a logical next destination, he could have a mentor role for 2Yates and it's not like Santaromita is going to podium in the Giro or Tour next year.

I think the talk of Wiggins and Evans at GE is just talk. They want someone younger for the future while they are developing their own younger riders. Evans is happy at BMC. Wiggins may not be happy at Sky but he is not getting any younger. Kelderman has been mentioned also. Maybe just a rumour. Santaromita is a good rider but they want someone to challenge for GC. I think the obvious one might be Porte but he is good friends with Froome but sooner or later Porte will want to be a team leader at the Tour. He won't get that at Sky unless he tries again for the Giro and is satisfied with that. Quintana is doing the Tour next year which would help him. Not sure if Porte is off contract this year or next year. BMC are already talking about jobs for Cadel if he retires so I would be surprised if he moved teams.

Butterhead said:
No I didn´t miss anything, but you seems to do.
Read my past post.

Don´t live on past palmera´s....his own words today: "I gave my very best, all I had, in this Giro"

So you can roll all the eyes you desire mate, you seem to forget it´s an old man who past his prime, what he did in 2012 or 2013 is history, and this history will never repeat it self ever again.

you know there's this thing called 'humour', right? and these things called jokes? maybe you've heard of them too?

now, re-"read my past post"

mksndz said:
"Evan's can't hang with the top 5-10 in big mountain stages. Because of this, he should retire."

If we say this about evans, why shouldn't 95% of the peloton retire?

Just because evans is 36? Wow, talk about ageism.

Just because he used to be better? His palmares are irrelevant when it comes to what to do about his future.

Evans seems to enjoy doing the big stage races. If that's what he wants to do, and he has a team to support him, why should we hate on the guy for not winning, but doing well and finishing in the top 10? Maybe he would find more success (i.e. wins) if he focused on smaller races or one-day classics, but it seems like that is not what he wants to do.

Evans can't accept top 10 neither will his team. He has to reinvent his priorities if he wants to keep racing as you said. And Evans won't accept domestique duties ongoing, maybe he will for Sanchez in the upcoming Vuelta. Evans just has to accept the reality of his situation as a GC contender or ride for stage wins and other races. It's obvious Evans loves to compete but will he continue if he can't be successful in his favourite races ?

Even his TT riding which was always his strength in GTs and where he often made up time lost in the mountains is no longer what it was in 2011 and his previous ability to minimise his losses in the mountains and hang in there and lose minimal time has also deteriorated. This is normal for a 37 year old. Look at his contemporaries : Sastre retired, Menchov retired, Basso doing worse than Evans, Scarponi not the rider he used to be. Evans was and is doing better than the rest of them but it's still not enough to win a GT. He was happy with his preparation and his team so there are no excuses. He is just disappointed which is understandable for someone that has made five podiums and always gives 100%.

TRENDING THREADS