• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What other exercises do you do to supplement cycling?

A

Anonymous

As the title reads... what else do you do to help with your cycling and overall fitness? I have two kids so it's hard to find the time to workout sometimes after i get home from work since the wife works at nights.

I really like Crossfit as it encompasses all facets of the body and teaches a stable base with lots of leg and core work. But again, I don't have time to go to the classes with kids in the mix.

So I've been doing lots of planks, squats, exercises I learned in crossfit and from their website, weight lifting, box jumps (using the stairs), pilate type stuff for the core, push ups, jumping rope, bike trainer when I can get the kids to sleep on time, etc...

What are some specific exercises that'll help to be stronger on the bike, specifically, stronger at climbing since we have lots of hills out here and that's probably my weakest facet of my riding right now. (well, that and not being able to get on the bike much during winter!)

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
what exercises do you do to supplement cycling

Core, lots of core.
yoga style stretching, particularly hip and upper leg work.
Those are important for any rider. For those who strive for speed add such things as intense floor exercises and, even in some cases, weights.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
In addition to core strength building in the gym 3 times or more a week, I tend to do a huge amount of just walking, at least 3 miles a day, sometimes more if time allows.
I've been wind trainer bound since Jan., and am inconsistant about getting out on the roads due to the wet and cold weather (some snow today!). I like to ride my fixie this time of year.
On the wind trainer I have a bike with PowerCranks set up, and this combo is an absolute killer, but the strength builds quickly, and I feel that for me this is an effective training method. I do no more than an hour, as any more would likely kill me.
As Spring approaches, the walking becomes a slow run, the PowerCranks go to the street, or the Mt. bike gets used on the local trails. I also have built up a single speed with 700c cyclocross tires that I tend to ride almost everywhere. It's got disc brakes and fenders, so it's great for rainy spring rides.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Cycling is my main form of training. Everything else is secondary.

I do yoga all year round at least 3-4 times a week for 30 minutes. When done right, yoga takes care of both stretching and core work. I also go for walks to keep the circulation going in the legs after rides. I find walking the dog is some of the best recovery.

During the late fall and winter, I use a C2 rowing machine to keep the muscles and heart/lungs working hard without burning out on the rollers or trainer. C2 has some cool challenges during that time of year to keep the rowing motivation going. And rowing strengthens the core as well as just about anything, so when you get back on the bike full time in late winter/early spring you're back is well able to support the efforts.

I'll also do some strenght training during the winter. Mostly kettlebells.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I do a bit of running and a lot of swimming to supplement and use alongside my cycling. I find swimming particularly good.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I certainly agree with all thats been listed so far especially the core work. I like to do heavy leg sets early in the week and taper towards the weekend to give time to recover for a couple of long hilly rides on the weekend. Deep squats, leg extensions, leg curls, leg press and calf raises. I like to use the concept 2 ergo to keep my cardio training ticking over during my work day (We have a gymnasium on the 3rd floor at work). I usually train for an hour at lunch then have a protein shake before going back to work.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
stretching, swimming, jogging, walking, nordic walking, joga.

i do stretch a lot, especially when i have time to go to gym.
i swim 3-4 times a week. its really great. it makes your muscles relaxed.
i try do jog in weekend as far as it is possible. also i walk in mountains a lot when i have time. try nordic walking its great for impatient people.

joga is good in the evenings to relax and focus.

Pilates

Try giving pilates a try. It does wonders for your core strength. A typical class has a good amount of stretching in it as well. Like any of these class based exercises, it's only as good as the instructor running it.

Plyometrics is also good. Here's a good post on it

lance2.JPG

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Crossfit, I usually do a variation of the WOD at work since we're pretty well equipped for Crossfit. I swim and run as well, usually doing 2 of each every week. I think a little more core and some yoga is in order(I'm NOT flexible).

-Cody

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cody251 said:
Crossfit, I usually do a variation of the WOD at work since we're pretty well equipped for Crossfit. I swim and run as well, usually doing 2 of each every week. I think a little more core and some yoga is in order(I'm NOT flexible).

-Cody
I got into Crossfit a while ago, even going to a certification to learn more about it. Where I have trouble is doing a WOD AND cycling. The WOD takes so much out of me that I can't improve at cycling at the same time.

I think it could be great for off season strength and conditioning, but I'm not so sure about during the season.

There's a website called CrossFit Endurance that's geared for endurance athletes, but it's a CRAZY hard scedule of CF WODs and endurance intervals. I'd burn out in a week on that schedule.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Alfred E. Neuman said:
There's a website called CrossFit Endurance that's geared for endurance athletes, but it's a CRAZY hard scedule of CF WODs and endurance intervals. I'd burn out in a week on that schedule.

Yes, I agree. I have to greatly modify the WOD sometimes! Same with Crossfit endurance, but I will hit them up if the weather is terrible and I'm only riding the trainer for the week.

-Cody

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
cody251 said:
Yes, I agree. I have to greatly modify the WOD sometimes! Same with Crossfit endurance, but I will hit them up if the weather is terrible and I'm only riding the trainer for the week.

-Cody
I do the same thing. They have some really good interval workout ideas on the site.

And living in the Pacific Northwet, there's a lot of weeks I spend serious time on the trainer and rollers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi
I have a heart arrhythmia which screws up serious training and recovery. However I use some crossfit style workouts. My son has been doing loads of crossfit which works brilliantly with his main sport of judo.
Doing the work out of the day (WOD) gives a great basic training - so long as you adapt it to where you are. However once you put any real cycling into the mix it will need careful balance. It takes real fitness to follow Crossfit endurance.

So maybe look at the wod, remove the really heavy stuff, or identify a series of exercises you can use. Decide what you want from that part of your training - the obvious from Crossfit is overall body fitness, dynamic strength (power), co ordination, balance. So this can be done in a mix of warm up especially using technique exercises and maybe only one major hard exercise per session. Keep using different exercises. Then perhaps a max of two sessions per week. The hard bits could be much less than 10 minutes plus warm up and cool down. Very time efficient and very hard. or it is if you can cope It will cover core strength. Advantages are small amount of time for great benefit but also the very committed dynamic nature of the workout. Mentally and physically it crosses over into sprint work and climbing especially. I go kayaking as well as cycling so if I can do two sessions one is legs and one shoulders and back. Great exercises like thrusters cover most of the body.

I appreciate that as folk start racing then you might want to pass on all this but I have not found anything that promotes all round fitness like crossfit style exercises. For older folk like me the year round overall fitness is very beneficial.

But then read up on the crossfit style for endurance. It is still shorter time but hard efforts - looking for benefit in the least time. Build endurance through technique work, strength, speed, intervals on the bike; maybe max two good interval sessions per week. Nutrition and recovery become key. This bit sounds just like many usual cycling coaches.

Just my thoughts.