• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What pro cycling sponsors products do you use?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Not including bikes and equipment (like groupsets, helmets, shoes, pedals etc.). So what products of companies who sponsor cycling do you use, either now or in the past when they did sponsor cycling teams.

Well I have cable TV, so the Discovery Channel counts; when I have been in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic my mobile phone coverage fell under T-Mobile; I use a Garmin for my bike and I bought one for my dad for father's day last year; I have a pair of Oakley and Nike sunglasses as well. And I have even used Credit Agricole ATM's when in France as well as AMD computer parts (they were a sponsor of Discovery Channel).

That's all I can think of at the moment.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
I don't know if this counts, but a couple years back,when Circuit City was advertising on VerSus, I would go there instead of Best Buy. I also go to Chipotle for lunch instead of other restaurants because they sponsor cycling.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
One thing to do is tell them! If you dine in Chipotle, email the company to say something like "I'm a fan of the team and often enjoy your food". Let them know their ad spend is working effectively.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Jelly Bellies!!! I think almost everyone in the US has tried them (the buttered popcorn one still makes me gag :D)...and I can honestly say I tried Sport Beans because of the team and actually dig them. Bring a box of 'em home with me every time I'm stateside.

Stani Kléber said:
One thing to do is tell them! If you dine in Chipotle, email the company to say something like "I'm a fan of the team and often enjoy your food". Let them know their ad spend is working effectively.

Great idea.

Fan of the team or not, everyone should try their burrito at least once! fantastic!

When I go to lunch with my co-workers, I always push for Chipotle. I also have T-mobile and probably used Bouguyes Telecom while in France. I also bought a GPS for my move to Texas, and--of course--went with a Garmin.

I have had a conundrum in the near past, though. Here's the story: The Tour of Utah was primarily sponsored by the late Larry H. Miller. He was kind of like royalty in Utah. He owned the Utah Jazz NBA team, tons of car dealerships, movie theaters, and (I think) the racing track where a criterium series was held. So I wanted to support his organizations since he was the title sponsor for the Tour of Utah.

Problem was that our social views were at odds, and much of his public conduct came off as offensive and discriminatory (IMHO).

Forutanetey, towards the end of his life, his views became more moderate, and he made several reconcillatory gestures towards certain demographics to whom he had been less than accomodating in the past. So I felt better about supporting his businesses then.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
For what it's worth:
I've got a Saunier Duval boiler, but that was because it was recommended and nothing to do with cycling.
Will only get Sky if they show the classics and races other than the Tour live and for more than 2 hours each time
Nearly moved my mobile to T-Mobile last year, but that was because it was cheaper. However I don't get reception for that network where I live so ruined that idea.
Might be tempted with Cafe de Colombia when they return, but only if they produce organic and ethically traded coffee.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Can't think of anything else than AMD processors. Even though it's for other reasons too their adverts in cycling did have an impact.

I'll walk around my house and see if I can think of anything else...

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Tom Danielson coffee :D

tom_with_coffee.jpg

Pretty much the same as everyone, except I won't buy anything from Nike. Worked on contract for them for a couple of years, and they were absolutely awful. The 800 ton gorilla, very political, plus nearly zero social or environmental consciousness, no matter how they want to spin it. Having just blurted all that out, I did work for Adidas, North Face, and Columbia as well, and they weren't exactly angels. I know, I know, corporate America. :(

Sorry for the diversion.

I wish 7-11 still sponsored a team. :)

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
I bought some Amica Chips the other day at the super market, instead of the other brands. Here in Italy, you see Fassa Bortolo cement things at construction sites.

I have a Columbia Titanium (TM, R, etc.. etc...) shirt, but frankly it's kind of a piece of crap. It hasn't held up nearly well as one I got years ago from Target for $10. Also, the Target shirt didn't include advertising about being "UV proof", which really makes me roll my eyes.

Oh, and I make sure I buy all my goats from Astana.

TRENDING THREADS