• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should be done about idiotic spectators?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

spalco said:
gazr99 said:
Publicy named and shamed. The ones who thrown urine and spit should be charged

Absolutely. Too bad other guys around him didn't serve justice immediately, but he has to be punished for the good of the sport. If this keeps happening it will be the end of fans being allowed to stand on the side of the ride completely.

I'm concerned about Alpe today.
Beating someone up isn't serving justice. Thank god the sophisticated road side TdF fans don't stoop to the barbaric standards advocated at cn.

Re: Re:

SeriousSam said:
spalco said:
gazr99 said:
Publicy named and shamed. The ones who thrown urine and spit should be charged

Absolutely. Too bad other guys around him didn't serve justice immediately, but he has to be punished for the good of the sport. If this keeps happening it will be the end of fans being allowed to stand on the side of the ride completely.

I'm concerned about Alpe today.
Beating someone up isn't serving justice. Thank god the sophisticated road side TdF fans don't stoop to the barbaric standards advocated at cn.

I have to agree with this. Yeah some of this behaviour is inexcusable, but so is mob justice. It's the 21st century and we should really strive to be better than that.

That being said there's plenty of ways to deal with people like this. If what they do is illegal (and in my opinion in some cases getting to close to / in front of riders should be because of safety) deal with them legally, a few heavy fines will discourage a lot of people in future years. And if not illegal, shame people publicly, let everyone know what a POS they are, again that should discourage most of them.

As mentioned before, I think it's vital spectators get regulated (like the guy with a selfie stick a few days ago who got pulled to the side by a spectator) so that the roads stay safe for the riders, both for the racing itself and so there's no reason to clear the roads, preventing real fans from watching the racing.