• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Cookson do?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Afrank said:
Stop the push for new races in China at the end of the season. And get rid of races like Beijing and put the money towards something like...

Direct more money and support towards the women's peloton. Support the races better and work on getting the coverage of women's racing up to the level of men's racing coverage.

Also direct more money towards preserving current established races.

More transparency. Reveal past misdealing's.

Make anti-doping independent.

The treatment of Paris-Brussels has been a disgrace.

Cyivel said:

Absolutely. It's not an RCS/ASO event so good-bye! They'll demote any events that threaten their globalizing plans by raising promoter costs. It's been underway for years.

Remember to "globalize cycling" they are going to fewer races spread all over the world with ASO/RCS producing the events. It's not important to anyone at the UCI that there be any spectators. The broadcasts have an audience.

China pays good money to ship everyone in, pays for ASO to broadcast, and Pat, Hein, and Alain are probably making consulting fees on the side too.

The management committee endorsed the "stakeholder's report" that was summarized on CN and laid their roadmap out very clearly. Don't you like watching the Tour of Oman? Yeah, more of that.

Afrank said:
Stop the push for new races in China at the end of the season. And get rid of races like Beijing and put the money towards something like..
Races like Beijing are fine, it's just that the UCI should play absolutely no role in organizing any races, period. Let them do their thing and build up, like Langkawi or Turkey. Support them as much as you like, but from the outside, with no conflict of interest and from an objective point of view. Starting your own race and then deciding it has WT status and everybody has to race it is simply unacceptable.

Globalize the sport by revamping the World Tour and making it a World Tour.

Everything possible to improve the women's game.

Doping, yes its an important issue but aside from handing testing over to Wada, I don't think the UCI should do anything that comes at the expense of cycling missing out on its opportunity to become a bigger global sport while there is still a chance, and making the sport more equal.

Both these things transcend sport greatly and can have a positive impact on the life of people beyond the sport -by giving them opportunities to succeed in it, especially in places like South Asia and South America where the sport has some small base and young children could use it as a way out of poverty.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Globalize the sport by revamping the World Tour and making it a World Tour.

Everything possible to improve the women's game.

Doping, yes its an important issue but aside from handing testing over to Wada, I don't think the UCI should do anything that comes at the expense of cycling missing out on its opportunity to become a bigger global sport while there is still a chance, and making the sport more equal.

Both these things transcend sport greatly and can have a positive impact on the life of people beyond the sport -by giving them opportunities to succeed in it, especially in places like South Asia and South America where the sport has some small base and young children could use it as a way out of poverty.

Kind of agree.think a commission of some sort, poperly resources and thought out, if just to draw a line in the sand, needs to happen.

That apart I think the best thing UCI could do with organisation of anti-doping is just get the f*** away from it. leave it to those who are independent, capable and motivated,and stop interfering.

I do think promotion of the the eleite sport needs to be semi-autonomus, and promotion of grassroots well separated from it. ATP and WTA don't teach kids to play tennis, and neither is the ITF. European Tour and PGA tour, hell even WPGA don't teach kids to play golf, and they dont organise grassroots - just concentrate on a professional, financially solid tour.

Just thinkUCI trying to run the competitions is a conflict of sorts with trying to organise the sport as a global enterprise. separatethe two.

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
On top of making doping completely independent, I'd also want him to push for all Olympic sports to be covered by the same independent body (whether it's WADA or a new organisation). This way cycling itself won't be disadvantaged by having tougher testing conditions.

I'd like to see the Commission that was set up to investigate the UCI concluded. Whilst hopefully McQuaid is gone, the corruption level needs to be exposed to ensure that safeguards can be put in place so it can't happen again.

Increasing the exposure of women's cycling will be a tougher task, as invariably there are too many conflicting interests squabbling over money and making it financially viable. Personally I'd like to see that Pro Tour level teams should be obliged to have a men and women's team, and that the higher tier events should all have concurrent men's and women's races. If there are equal ranking points available for both gender's races then you'd soon see the teams taking it more seriously.

Afrank said:
Also direct more money towards preserving current established races.
No. The long established European races already have the huge advantage of tradition. If they can't survive with that then they can die.

Of the 2 countries most familar to me, I can say that the Tour of Poland, since it has become WT is far far far bigger in Poland than the Tour of Britain is in Britain.

You give a country or region unfamiliar with broad sporting celebrity and success, some of the glamour of the top level of West European Sport and they suck it up big time.

People may feel attached to say Paris Nice or Catalunya (even though its moved) but thats just human instinct and reluctance to change.

These races have been nothing to phone home about in a long time. Just the same riders in the same regions I can see in the grand tours.

San Luis, even without wt status had 10 times the local support and attention that those 2 races can dream of. In fact of the entire WT only the 3 gts and RVV can match it.

With different climbs different scenery, and I get to see the local talent face up against the well known riders and local nutsjobs like "El Loco" Guevarra, pull of 200km solo breaks cos they know its their one chance to shine.

And the local radio covers it 3 hours a day and the mayor shows up and gives interviews with ESPN Latin America which shows the whole thing accross Latin America. Its huuuuuuuge.

They would love it in South Asia and Central America too. The sport then grows massively in these regions and over time young riders from these regions begin to filter into the top levels of the sport.

And the sport thus becomes popular there as well.

French people don't need Paris-Nice to know about cycling.

Cyivel said:

Way too many races with Paris in their name if you ask me.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I think it is certainly a possibility with Cookson in charge of the UCI.

First of all it's too simplistic to say nothing will happen with Froome/Sky because of his ties to British cycling. Not everyone is like McQuaid and Verbruggen and there is nothing to suggest Cookson is of the same ilk. This whole discussion could be dwarfed if he follows through on his promise to move the testing to an independent entity. Judging by his speech after winning today and the many interviews over the last months, this seems the main priority for the initial part of his term.

I'm slightly worried about the logistics of an independent body. I think the WADA code leaves anti-doping in the hands of national and international sports bodies so he may find himself slightly hamstrung by this. I think what is required is an independent body who reviews every case before the national federation and UCI are involved and passes on the details and a sanction recommendation to the national body and the UCI. That way there is no chance of a cover up but the national federations still retain the right to apply sentences they see fit, with the obvious point being the independent body can refer it to WADA if they feel it is too lenient.

What's Ashenden up to these days?

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Independent testing
T&R - get Lance to fully spill the beans
Some real weight behind women's racing (something BC are good at when it comes to olympics)
Watch his back (18 votes for Pat - wtf?)
Keep away from Murdoch

The Hitch said:
No. The long established European races already have the huge advantage of tradition. If they can't survive with that then they can die.

Of the 2 countries most familar to me, I can say that the Tour of Poland, since it has become WT is far far far bigger in Poland than the Tour of Britain is in Britain.

You give a country or region unfamiliar with broad sporting celebrity and success, some of the glamour of the top level of West European Sport and they suck it up big time.

People may feel attached to say Paris Nice or Catalunya (even though its moved) but thats just human instinct and reluctance to change.

These races have been nothing to phone home about in a long time. Just the same riders in the same regions I can see in the grand tours.

San Luis, even without wt status had 10 times the local support and attention that those 2 races can dream of. In fact of the entire WT only the 3 gts and RVV can match it.

With different climbs different scenery, and I get to see the local talent face up against the well known riders and local nutsjobs like "El Loco" Guevarra, pull of 200km solo breaks cos they know its their one chance to shine.

And the local radio covers it 3 hours a day and the mayor shows up and gives interviews with ESPN Latin America which shows the whole thing accross Latin America. Its huuuuuuuge.

They would love it in South Asia and Central America too. The sport then grows massively in these regions and over time young riders from these regions begin to filter into the top levels of the sport.

And the sport thus becomes popular there as well.

French people don't need Paris-Nice to know about cycling.

Way too many races with Paris in their name if you ask me.
Totally disagree. If there is a sport where history matters, it's cycling.

Surely the first thing he must do is satisfy you, the punters, that he is properly bound and guided by contractual terms agreed with the UCI regarding his employment?

Are you going to be happy with a president who is effectively allowed to devote part of his time to the secret accumulation of personal power and wealth rather than devote his whole time to the development and promotion of your sport? I wouldn't be. I would be looking for sufficient transparency and assurances regarding his terms of engagement as president. Right off from the bat. History should tell you that you don't take these things for granted.

Netserk said:
Totally disagree. If there is a sport where history matters, it's cycling.

Great argument. Let other sports fill the void in these open regions and make cycling even more a minority sport.

Why?

Because I don't like change. I hate change so much I can't settle for the top 15 races in the world to be the traditional European ones (3gts, 5 monuments, Gw,fw, tirreno,Suisse, dauphine,css, pv)

No I'm so stubborn I demand that ALL the biggest races must be the ones in my continent.

Even at the expense of the sport itself.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
He has just appointed 3 new UCI vice presidents. Tracey Gaudrey, Mohamed Azzam and David Lappartient.

Very interesting - any ideas on Lappartient? He appears to be quite young, and together with Gaudrey will definitely bring a more youthful image to the sports management.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
some one already suggested that he should bring back my avatar -gripper. i completely agree, though, as a matter of priority, he should do 2 things first:
i)dismantle and fire the old regime's legal department - everyone, starting with verbiest who personally lead the obstruction and obfuscation campaign against the usada investigation into armstrong's fraud.
ii) purge every room in the uci headquarters of verbruggen stench.

only then he can start rebuilding the organization...oh, and almost forgot, if he wants to maintain any credibility, he should distance makarov. the fella is hardly an anti-doping and anti-corruption standout...

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
No way will P-N ever be demoted and nor should it be either. In the case of Catalunya I was reading Dan Martin's column a couple of years back in Procycling and he was saying it was the only WT race at the time that was not shown live on TV. Contador's win in 2011 only got highlights coverage. That was the big problem back then. The last 2 years it has been shown live and the weather was a big problem in 2012 and this year was a decent race. Unfair to single out that race.

There's no need to set up new races in other parts of the world when they already have them there it as it is. Leave them earn the right to get WT status. Like hrotha said, Turkey are doing this and the organisers have spoken about applying for the WT in the future.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
python said:
some one already suggested that he should bring back my avatar -gripper. i completely agree, though, as a matter of priority, he should do 2 things first:
i)dismantle and fire the old regime's legal department - everyone, starting with verbiest who personally lead the obstruction and obfuscation campaign against the usada investigation into armstrong's fraud.
ii) purge every room in the uci headquarters of verbruggen stench.

only then he can start rebuilding the organization...oh, and almost forgot, if he wants to maintain any credibility, he should distance makarov. the fella is hardly an anti-doping and anti-corruption standout...

Agree with cleaning out Legal, and Verbiest as the first one on the unemployed pile.

Get Sylvia Schenk in to replace him, and let her build the replacement team in Legal.

TRENDING THREADS