• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What should Cookson do?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
hrotha said:
Problem is you're talking about San Luis, Colombia and Poland, while McQuaid was talking about Oman, Beijing and Qatar.

Of course not Beijing and Oman. I specifically identified regions with some sort of cycling base.

gooner said:
No way will P-N ever be demoted and nor should it be either. In the case of Catalunya I was reading Dan Martin's column a couple of years back in Procycling and he was saying it was the only WT race at the time that was not shown live on TV. Contador's win in 2011 only got highlights coverage. That was the big problem back then. The last 2 years it has been shown live and the weather was a big problem in 2012 and this year was a decent race. Unfair to single out that race.

It was a decent race. Meh. empty roads. Same old teams, riders. Same old climbs. 1 good stage maybe.

Is that really worth defending just because it was there first? When there is a whole world out there that has so so so much more to offer.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Of course not Beijing and Oman. I specifically identified regions with some sort of cycling base.

It was a decent race. Meh. empty roads. Same old teams, riders. Same old climbs. 1 good stage maybe.

Is that really worth defending just because it was there first? When there is a whole world out there that has so so so much more to offer.

You will still get the same old teams and riders in the races you want also.

The first stage was a good one where Wiggins and Martin got time on their rivals on the descent. The route had 2 very good stages but the Quintana stage was raced poorly which was the riders fault. Dan Martin's was a brilliant ride and I also think the Montjuic is a good circuit to finish it off.

The Clinic is the only place on Cyclingnews where you can discuss doping-related issues. Ask questions, discuss positives or improvements to procedures.

Again I have to point out the oddity that all subjects w/r to the presidential election take place in the Clinic. Wth?

Anyways, carry on ..

Carstenbf said:
Again I have to point out the oddity that all subjects w/r to the presidential election take place in the Clinic. Wth?

Anyways, carry on ..
Think of the Clinic to discuss the dark side of cycling: doping, but also corruption and the like.

"What should Cookson do" will necessarily include a lot of doping and corruption talk.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
King Boonen said:
I'm slightly worried about the logistics of an independent body. I think the WADA code leaves anti-doping in the hands of national and international sports bodies so he may find himself slightly hamstrung by this. I think what is required is an independent body who reviews every case before the national federation and UCI are involved and passes on the details and a sanction recommendation to the national body and the UCI. That way there is no chance of a cover up but the national federations still retain the right to apply sentences they see fit, with the obvious point being the independent body can refer it to WADA if they feel it is too lenient.

What's Ashenden up to these days?

Personally, I think WADA needs reform. The National ADO model is too subject to national biases, weaknesses and whims - see Moscow lab, Jamaica etc.

The best way to keep dodgy national ado's in line is force them to share testing with a 'disinterrested' party - Moscowlab will have no leeway for corruption in every A test from russia is split between, say moscow and Koln. The USA would find it harder to bury positives if test samples are split between usa and say south africa. Failure to spot positives your 'partner' was spotting would immediately start to raise questions about your ADO or lab.

just my 2c

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Parker said:
However, Merckx didn't enter in '73, Anquetil didn't enter in '60 or '65 and Hinault crashed in '80 - all of which prevented potential 5s - extenuating circumstances rather than being beaten.

True; just as Froome was 'called back' in 2012 - sh!t happens, mon frere - if he was sitting on two now, I'd say five in a row was a little more likely.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Orla Chennaoui ‏@SkyOrla 11h
Reports that Greece was offered €25,000 to back Cookson in UCI presidential race. We've seen proof that it was indeed the case

They really that hard up for cash they'd do this? Okay then...

hrotha said:
I don't want cycling to be a bigger sport if the price to pay is having soulless cookie-cutter races.

NCCC - No Cookie Cutter Crap!

In complete agreement.

New races want to go on...then push for local conti teams to build up on them and offer them a chance to graduate to some scholarship/sponsorship program in Europe if they perform well enough.

Womens cycling needs a huge push. Talking of which...should be on tv right now! :D

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Netserk said:
Do you think it would be better if it ended up like F1?

Yes, lets get rid of a second Grand Prix in Germany, scrap the second one in Italy, despite trying to appease people and state it's not needed. Then let's forget Austria and instead, let's rush off into the desert and Asia and race on these big fancy boring tracks where next to nothing happens. :rolleyes:

The originals have character for a reason. I don't mind the Chinese F1 track, but of all the new ones it is the only decent one. Okay Korea is alright too, but chasing the money...well it's not about the sport then is it? It's about $$$.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Great argument. Let other sports fill the void in these open regions and make cycling even more a minority sport.

Why?

Because I don't like change. I hate change so much I can't settle for the top 15 races in the world to be the traditional European ones (3gts, 5 monuments, Gw,fw, tirreno,Suisse, dauphine,css, pv)

No I'm so stubborn I demand that ALL the biggest races must be the ones in my continent.

Even at the expense of the sport itself.

There's a balance,Hitch.

Globalisation for the sake of it has a very mixed record across sports. Look at the debacle Qatar 2022 is threatening to be. At some of the utterly pointless 'destination' F1 races.

You have to ask yourself, what exactly are you trying to do in these countries or regions? Is a one off, corrupted, unloved race in Beijing doing anything much for competitive cycling in China - and this is a country with a LOT of bicycles.

Maybe it's just me, but globalising the elite section of the men's race calendar seems, to me, to be the proper end point of the process, not the start. Like Pat promising Mountain Bike world cups to all and sundry - how does that grow the sport, really. The UCI visit, race, leave. A few local federation bigwigs get a few days out, and then..nada

A world Tour race isn't the seed to grow cycling, it's the reward and end game for previous success. You build up to it, not down from it.

Elite sport, as a spectator activity, is culturally a big thing in the developed world. For a reason; historically they had the time and money to devote to their passtimes. The poorest Flemish tradesman is a very rich man compared to the workers in the sweatshops - and has been for a very long time. Football may have bucked that trend to some extent - cricket in India, but in the smaller sports, it holds.

You can't just transplant that to the developing world and assume it'll work. You need to grow the whole thing culturally and organically. And yes, that means some of the arch-globalisers having to pull their horns in - not because we're all pro-euro bigots, but because we have to face the economic and the cultural realities.

And that's not a euro centric point. Japan, South Africa, parts of Brazil and argentina have a similar huge passion for spectator sport.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Christopher Boringman commentating on the women’s road race, says that Brian Cookson is, and I quote, “as honest as the day is long”......
Well... he has been elected now for 24 hours, so there is your day! So Cookson is now free to be as dishonest as his term is long, which could be an indefinite leave to remain?
And just before you get too excited with CB stunning character judgement, he also said that Dave Brailsford was, and I quote, “a really nice guy”, whilst wearing a Tuxedo in the after show Paris party.
And last but by no means least was CB priority advice for Cookson, “put numbers on crash hats” No wonder this is a priority... you were commentating on a dropped rider as the race leader!!

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Vaughters the puppetmaster?!

Seriously, just happy to get Pat out of there, and hope Cookson can take the long view. I'll leave it to other pundits on how to best do that. A lot of good ideas already in the thread.

I say we ask the UCI to hire a Clinic 12 member.

Nominations? Mine is for thehog. Why? Because he'll call everything out. He'll mix it up a little.

Cookson? Still yet to see any evidence he is a white knight. Deserves a chance though. If womens cycling gets ignored and transparency is scrapped over, then he's just another dud.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
zebedee said:
Surely the first thing he must do is satisfy you, the punters, that he is properly bound and guided by contractual terms agreed with the UCI regarding his employment?

Are you going to be happy with a president who is effectively allowed to devote part of his time to the secret accumulation of personal power and wealth rather than devote his whole time to the development and promotion of your sport? I wouldn't be. I would be looking for sufficient transparency and assurances regarding his terms of engagement as president. Right off from the bat. History should tell you that you don't take these things for granted.

In bold, this is a given with UCI president. Need to keep up on your checks and balances and insure.....

Real support for women's racing, not tokenism. And respect for riders who do not wish to dope. And limits put on doping to ensure the sport stays truly competitive.

And then I woke up...

Well I was hoping Mr. Cookson would bring the World Track
Championships (where Globalisation and equality between
men and women has already been realised) to London as
soon as possible...and he has already delivered!!!
Mark 24-28 Feb. 2016 on your calendars friends!!

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Rather than enumerate here all the things i think worth Cookson dealing with , i suggest a visit to Parrabuddy .

Feel free to add Comment , since there are things i may not have mentioned worthy of consideration ?

horsinabout said:
Christopher Boringman commentating on the women’s road race, says that Brian Cookson is, and I quote, “as honest as the day is long”......
Well... he has been elected now for 24 hours, so there is your day! So Cookson is now free to be as dishonest as his term is long, which could be an indefinite leave to remain?
And just before you get too excited with CB stunning character judgement, he also said that Dave Brailsford was, and I quote, “a really nice guy”, whilst wearing a Tuxedo in the after show Paris party.
And last but by no means least was CB priority advice for Cookson, “put numbers on crash hats” No wonder this is a priority... you were commentating on a dropped rider as the race leader!!

This gets two chuckles. :D:D

Dave.

oldcrank said:
Well I was hoping Mr. Cookson would bring the World Track
Championships (where Globalisation and equality between
men and women has already been realised) to London as
soon as possible...and he has already delivered!!!
Mark 24-28 Feb. 2016 on your calendars friends!!

Thank you oldcrank for sharing this with us. You must have been very busy these last few days because we have not read a lot from you lately.
Edit - equality. I know the person who put the proposal up to the UCI for the women's team pursuit to go to 4 riders and 4.000m would be keen to bring us this news about London, but has the UCI really got rid of the women's 500m and turned it into a 1km event and made the team sprints equitable.

I thought not. Telling us porkies again aren't you oldcrank. Still let's not spoil the couple of days.

Monday - things to do

martinvickers said:
Personally, I think WADA needs reform. The National ADO model is too subject to national biases, weaknesses and whims - see Moscow lab, Jamaica etc.

This is not a WADA issue though. It's the IOC's. They set up the system to look like the NADO have some authority when in fact the sport federation is the one with the authority to open cases. They only recommend after the final expert review. And if the sports federation never orders the final review process based on a positive, then there's no case. Never tested positive!

If the NADO/WADA could open cases, it would discourage doping more because like Armstrong/USAC, whatever mysterious stuff happened in Russian Olympic sports, and Jamaica to name three could not happen.

But, the Olympic sports won't do it for obvious reasons. Too much controversy!

TRENDING THREADS