• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What sunglasses do you wear?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

froze said:
Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.
I don't think anyone believes that who has read anything about polarised glass and that's not the point of polarised lenses. They can make a significant difference if you happen to ride anywhere where you might experience glare, based on the position of the sun and the surface that it is reflecting off.

Re: Re:

King Boonen said:
froze said:
Polarized lens is not necessary unless you plan on riding your bike on water, but for cycling it's not needed, in fact wearing polorized glasses while riding could make it impossible to read your bike computer. Despite popular theory, polarized lenses don’t represent significantly increased UV protection. Is having polorized glasses a bad idea for cycling, no, it just isn't necessary, but it won't hurt anything either.
I don't think anyone believes that who has read anything about polarised glass and that's not the point of polarised lenses. They can make a significant difference if you happen to ride anywhere where you might experience glare, based on the position of the sun and the surface that it is reflecting off.

^^ correct.

As above, a polarised lens with UV protection should be your baseline when looking at a good quality cycling sunglass.... and as per "the rules " arms over the top of helmet straps :)

As some of you have pointed out polorized lenses are especially useful where there is glare, so where is glare? driving in your car you get glare on the windshield or glare bouncing off of cars, or on the water, while you do get some glare off the road it isn't significant enough to make a big difference using polorized or not sunglasses, this why for riding a bike a polorized sunglass isn't necessary...though it doesn't hurt either. While these lenses are ideal in almost every situation, skiers, snowboarders, motorcycle drivers, or cyclists, should not wear polarized sunglasses. Sometimes, the polarization will prevent a person from seeing details clearly, and when shadows are blocked, snow sports and motorcycle driving can be dangerous. Skiers and snowboarders may not be able to determine a small jump from a large hole, for example, and motorcycle drivers may not be able to see the difference between pavement and wet pavement. For the cyclist due to going slower then a motorcyclist, seeing the difference between dry and wet pavement would be a non issue. Wearing polarized glasses while riding a bike is controversial, no one can agree if it's good or not, therefore the only conclussion I can make is that it doesn't matter. I wear polarized lens sunglasses all the time, but that's because I will use them to drive with and to fish with so I don't have to buy a pair of glasses to do one thing, and another to do another thing.

https://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Also there are different levels of polorization, and most sunglasses do not indicate what their level is, those grades go from 1 to , these ratings are based on the amount of light absorbed, a level 4 is the highest and it's not recommended for road riding, or driving.

Re:

froze said:
As some of you have pointed out polorized lenses are especially useful where there is glare, so where is glare? driving in your car you get glare on the windshield or glare bouncing off of cars, or on the water, while you do get some glare off the road it isn't significant enough to make a big difference using polorized or not sunglasses, this why for riding a bike a polorized sunglass isn't necessary...though it doesn't hurt either. While these lenses are ideal in almost every situation, skiers, snowboarders, motorcycle drivers, or cyclists, should not wear polarized sunglasses. Sometimes, the polarization will prevent a person from seeing details clearly, and when shadows are blocked, snow sports and motorcycle driving can be dangerous. Skiers and snowboarders may not be able to determine a small jump from a large hole, for example, and motorcycle drivers may not be able to see the difference between pavement and wet pavement. For the cyclist due to going slower then a motorcyclist, seeing the difference between dry and wet pavement would be a non issue. Wearing polarized glasses while riding a bike is controversial, no one can agree if it's good or not, therefore the only conclussion I can make is that it doesn't matter. I wear polarized lens sunglasses all the time, but that's because I will use them to drive with and to fish with so I don't have to buy a pair of glasses to do one thing, and another to do another thing.

https://www.polarization.com/water/water.html

Also there are different levels of polorization, and most sunglasses do not indicate what their level is, those grades go from 1 to , these ratings are based on the amount of light absorbed, a level 4 is the highest and it's not recommended for road riding, or driving.

When you quote someone verbatim it is customary to reference their work and give them credit. It's also usually customary to understand it but we'll leave it at the first for now.

Last season Sagan was getting a lot of grief for his 100% sunglasses, and this season many other manufacturers are making similar products.

Froze, come ride dirt with me this summer if you want to see how much glare comes off of the dirt here. That being said, I prefer mirror finish to polarized to reduce glare.

I was a convert to Oakleys about 25 years ago. Was sceptical at first....up until I actually tried some. They are a stupid price though.

Been wearing some Reef sunnies I bought in Cornwall last year mostly, but just got hold of some of those big POC things that I snapped up at 50% off.

I wear safety glasses from the hardware store, for both clear and shaded. I'm not kidding. The expensive ones are 14 bucks, and the clears are $9

69bc418a-1386-45a8-b263-341d4186c4c8.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I just wear cheap wrap arounds - about €15. They work great.

But did you see the glasses they wore in the Tour de France?
The looked huge. Much bigger than your standard wrap arounds.

Is this a new stylr for cyclists??

Sep 23, 2020
Visit site
I just wear cheap wrap arounds - about €15. They work great.

But did you see the glasses they wore in the Tour de France?
The looked huge. Much bigger than your standard wrap arounds.

Is this a new stylr for cyclists??

Clearly, yes. Hopefully the oversized sunglasses war won't get to ridiculous but I don't think it will go away. I like them because they give you great peripheral vision and I also think they help keep you cool on a hot day.

I've lost several Oakleys and a $200 set of Nike's that were my favorite ever so now I only allow myself to buy cheap ones.

My favorite are the Queshark (similar lens shape as the Jawbreaker) and Xiyalai sunglass I got from Amazon. I'm waiting for some X Tiger glasses that can be converted to goggles for mountain biking. Most of them come with some interchangeable lenses which is nice for different conditions. Having the small suits in the lenses really helps with fogging. On some of them the lenses are hard to change and you can break the frames changing them if you aren't careful. I love the lightweight of the rimless designs and they are usually easier to change lenses but they are also more vulnerable to damage. Having rims also gives your face a little protection from the lens in case of a crash.

To the OP, there is a brand called Maxjuli that makes glasses very similar to the Maui Jim's at a fraction of the price. I have the polarized version and they are my favorite driving glasses, and a good biking option because they are so lightweight.

Reactions: SaddleHappy
Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I have the polarized version and they are my favorite driving glasses, and a good biking option because they are so lightweight.

Yeah.... polarised are excellent for driving.

I use a pair of aviator polaroids. They are great for cutting out glare. And they're great for winter sunshine when there's a low blinding sun in the sky.

:)

Jan 11, 2021
Visit site
I have three pairs of Adidas sunglasses. They are perfect for me. Different type of lenses, including some orange/yellow that don't darken anything, but just enhance contrast. They are wonderful during rides in the winter or whenever there is no sun.

So my tip for you is to purchase sunglasses with more than one type of lenses. Or you could perhaps use the "I'm Tyler Farrar....." Transition adaptive lenses. Ohh I hate that ad.
adidas sunglasses..how interesting i'll definitely need to put this on my list. my two oakleys ended up breaking yikes

Jan 13, 2021
Visit site
I have a pair of Jackson polarized glasses. I am also surprised that aside from being anti-glare, it also blocks more than 99% of the UVA or UVB rays you get yourself exposed to. It can resist both scratches and impact, showcasing its strength and sturdiness

Jun 20, 2021
Visit site
I was a huge fan of Oakleys, Maui Jim, Rudy Projects etc... The operative word is WAS.

All my oaks bit the dust in the horrible humid n hot conditions here in South East Asia. The polarised coating peeled off, the ear n nose pieces turned gummy. I'll never buy another oak ever again.

The Jims n Rudys and are still going strong but I'm going cheap for cycling glasses as they get abused worse than my other shades and get dings, scratches faster than any of my other pairs.

Aliexpress has polarised or photochromic NRC shades for below $20, others like X-tiger n Rockbros seem pretty good as well.

Reactions: Roaha
I've found expensive sunglasses to scratch just as fast as cheaper ones because they all use freaking plastic. So now I just buy Tifosi brand, and they sell replacement lenses for around $15. So now if they get scratched I don't care as much as I did with $275 pair of sunglasses, that the company wanted $125 for replacement lens when it got scratched, no thank you.

TRENDING THREADS