• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What sunglasses do you wear?

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I noticed during the Tour de France that most of the riders wore their sunglasses with the stems outside their helmet straps. I decided this might prevent some strap vibration. I tried it. I snapped my Maui Jims in half at the nose bridge the first time I took my helmet off. I forgot about changing to stems outside straps. I really loved those Maui Jims.

I tried gluing them. Gluing was a mess and did not work. It was obviously time for a new pair of sunglasses. I wear prescription glasses so this gets quite pricey. I decided to switch to Oakley. Most of the golf course superintendents I work with wear Oakleys. It appeared that many pro cyclists wear Oakleys. I asked the optometrist for pricing on several Oakleys. I also asked them to check on the price of fixing my Maui Jims. I did not want to pay $100.00 US+ to fix broken glasses. My Mauis were just under two years old.

I went back for the prices on the Oakleys. The optometrist told me Maui was fixing the glasses for shipping costs $20.00 US. They actually sent me brand new sunglasses. I know because the old lenses had some scratches from everyday use. These were brand new. I did buy a new pair of sunglasses with a slightly different lens shape. I decided to stick with Maui Jim. I am not aware of anyone that stands behind their product like this anymore.

Reactions: Amatour
Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
Cheap Mountain Equipment Co Op ( in Canada )sunnies, or nothing over $15-30 ... had Oakleys, Bolle, Ray Ban and others.. the Oakleys were so cheap, especially the brow piece, I had a couple of those break.. the cheapo sunnies are great, if they get sat on, scratched, stolen, who cares.. I'm too old and fat to care about whether I look the part... all you young skinny whippets can do that :D

Reactions: SaddleHappy
Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
Loving my Rudy Project Rydon glasses, Photo-chromatic lenses rock, they are always the perfect level of brightness! Rudy Project gives a lifetime warranty which is nice, I sweat profusely and managed to destroy a set of lenses, which were replaced free of charge. The glasses themselves are unbreakable however, When I bought them the dealer took a pair of the shelf, put them in the vice and folded them clean in half as hard as he could and didn't manage to break them! Its cool with mine how you can bend the arms into any shape you want to hook over your ears, or wrap around your head or whatever, the nosepiece is also fully bendable into any size you want, If you want nice glasses that you wont have to worry about destroying, get some Rudys!

Vigilante

I second Bolle. I have several sets of the Vigalante model and the wife uses the similar, but smaller, Parole.

Can get 'em at Performance/Trashbar for ~$39 during their seemingly never-ending 20% off deals...

May 9, 2009
Visit site
TigerFish said:
I decided to stick with Maui Jim. I am not aware of anyone that stands behind their product like this anymore.

Thanks for posting this. My Maui Jims also snapped part of the bridge off - I'll send mine in for repairs and hope for the best.

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
Rudy Kaylos and Tifosi Ventoux. Like them both. The Tifosi are a great deal. Frames, 3 sets of lenses, bag, case for about $50.
I used to have several pairs of Brikos, but finally sold all of them. Haven't liked their latest offerings.
Would like to get a pair of Oakley Jawbones.

May 15, 2010
Visit site
bottom of the line performance procyon's. love 'em. they keep sun and debris/bugs out of my gorgeous brown eyes. love the fact that i don't worry about how i treat them. they're plastic sun glasses for god's sake. if i won the lottery, doubt i'd buy much more expensive.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
I just replaced some PBK ones with some Bolle ones. I buy whatever is less than $50 with interchangable lenses ($25 is goal price, these were about $40). I shove them in my helmet when I take off the helmet, and don't worry much about scratching them up. I only use the smoke lenses usually, but keep clear in my seat-bag (with small lights as well) for late rides home. They are replaced about every 2 years - hence why I like cheap.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
I have three pairs of Adidas sunglasses. They are perfect for me. Different type of lenses, including some orange/yellow that don't darken anything, but just enhance contrast. They are wonderful during rides in the winter or whenever there is no sun.

So my tip for you is to purchase sunglasses with more than one type of lenses. Or you could perhaps use the "I'm Tyler Farrar....." Transition adaptive lenses. Ohh I hate that ad.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't wear sunglasses at all. It's a rue. It's to sell product . UV isn't killing our eyes. Take your pick. Riders used to wear nothing .... now they can't part with them.... ?

If I wear anything it's Walmart $5 Clear safety glasses to keep debris out of my eyes.

lostintime said:
I don't wear sunglasses at all. It's a rue. It's to sell product . UV isn't killing our eyes. Take your pick. Riders used to wear nothing .... now they can't part with them.... ?

I'm afraid that's not correct. Repeated studies show that UV radiation damages the eyes.

http://www.cancer.org.au/File/PolicyPublications/PSeye protectionAUG06.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/eyedamage.pdf

It depends on where you live too. When I spent a couple of years in England I don't think I pulled the sunglasses out very often but living at 27deg Latitude I feel I'm living on Helion Prime.

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Oakley Jawbones. Brilliant optics, soooo much better than el cheapos and the water repellant film on the lense makes them great in the wet too. The design is fantastic as you hardly know they are on and they don't bounce around or move at all.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
I'm afraid that's not correct. Repeated studies show that UV radiation damages the eyes.

http://www.cancer.org.au/File/PolicyPublications/PSeye protectionAUG06.pdf
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/eyedamage.pdf

It depends on where you live too. When I spent a couple of years in England I don't think I pulled the sunglasses out very often but living at 27deg Latitude I feel I'm living on Helion Prime.

Nah ... it's a scam. Ever since Ray Ban's were made for the Fly Boys everyone had to have sunglasses .... at least in the wealthy countries. How do all the other people in the world who live in sunny climate year 'round, with no sunglasses .... survive? Scientific studies are good for keeping scientists employed .... and making self fulfilling studies. Our "modern" world is panic ridden with all the things we are told we should could and would do, by people who know nothing more than anyone else.

Man ..... we all gotta wake up.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
I have used the Oakley MFrame Heater for years. I get the ventilated lens. I opt for the auburn or gold brown lens for sun or the rose for flat light. I gave them up when my kid said I looked like a Fred...or really because the RX component is problematic

However a fellow masters rider on our club team who mashes the Track Circuit gave ma an extra pair of Rudy's they give him....It is the Zion I think.

I really like this frame and the rose lens works in sun and flat light for me anyway.

This is a real topic for me now because I am in a position for the first time ever to use RX lens for cycling now.

QUESTION for all the RX riders: I need glasses to drive and see distance now. reading is not a problem and riding isn't really but it makes the ride more clear. However corrected lenses help the distance but I can't read my computer with them.

Does anyone know who makes a Sport/cycling Bi-focal or what I think is called "progressive lens" type of bifocal?

I am learning a bit about Rudy and they seem to have quite an RX collection on the web.

But the recommendation I got was a progressive lens what ever that means and I haven't found them in a wrap type glass

thanks and this question is meant to add to the topic not detract from posters original question...

Boeing said:
I have used the Oakley MFrame Heater for years. I get the ventilated lens. I opt for the auburn or gold brown lens for sun or the rose for flat light. I gave them up when my kid said I looked like a Fred...or really because the RX component is problematic

However a fellow masters rider on our club team who mashes the Track Circuit gave ma an extra pair of Rudy's they give him....It is the Zion I think.

I really like this frame and the rose lens works in sun and flat light for me anyway.

This is a real topic for me now because I am in a position for the first time ever to use RX lens for cycling now.

QUESTION for all the RX riders: I need glasses to drive and see distance now. reading is not a problem and riding isn't really but it makes the ride more clear. However corrected lenses help the distance but I can't read my computer with them.

Does anyone know who makes a Sport/cycling Bi-focal or what I think is called "progressive lens" type of bifocal?

I am learning a bit about Rudy and they seem to have quite an RX collection on the web.

But the recommendation I got was a progressive lens what ever that means and I haven't found them in a wrap type glass

thanks and this question is meant to add to the topic not detract from posters original question...

i wear progressive glasses in daily life. i wear contacts for riding my doc got me to have one lens for close and one lens for distance. it works for me,not everyone may like it.
Oakley do RX as well.

lostintime said:
Nah ... it's a scam. Ever since Ray Ban's were made for the Fly Boys everyone had to have sunglasses .... at least in the wealthy countries. How do all the other people in the world who live in sunny climate year 'round, with no sunglasses .... survive? Scientific studies are good for keeping scientists employed .... and making self fulfilling studies. Our "modern" world is panic ridden with all the things we are told we should could and would do, by people who know nothing more than anyone else.

Man ..... we all gotta wake up.

Well that comment just takes the cake Lost in Time. Unfortunately your "opinions" about the validity of scientific studies aren't worth a cracker if you don't even bother to read them. Why don't you read them first, then come back to us and point out to us where those stupid scientists went wrong? That way we won't be thinking of you as an empty headed lightweight prone to making sweeping generalisations that he can't back up.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Polyarmour said:
Well that comment just takes the cake Lost in Time. Unfortunately your "opinions" about the validity of scientific studies aren't worth a cracker if you don't even bother to read them. Why don't you read them first, then come back to us and point out to us where those stupid scientists went wrong? That way we won't be thinking of you as an empty headed lightweight prone to making sweeping generalisations that he can't back up.

Empty headed lightweight? Maybe so .... take a look in the mirror. We only see what we reflect.

Science isn't all knowing , no one is. We think because scientists say X .... we must believe them. Yeah ..... how about the FDA in the US..... how many times have they been wrong?

What has man done before the advent of sunglasses?

I'm saying make up your own mind, don't be cow and just go along because everyone else is doing it or believing it. When the mass belief is challenged, fear sets in . Attacks ensue ......that's the story of man. Weather the storm brother, but lashing out any makes it worse.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Before man invented sunglasses, he didn't live long enough for it to matter. He squinted through life and then died before his eyes were too messed up.

TRENDING THREADS