• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

Page 15 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
People know he will keep pushing if they refuse to take over. He needs to just refuse one time, maybe resulting in them being caught. Then others will think twice and be more likely to work on the front. Might be worth it in the long term.

Easy for me to say sitting here after the event, but today was a good example. He should have said 'i've won a stage, have the yellow jersey and will keep it if we get caught. You've won nothing so you have more to lose.' Not that he would have had enough breath to say all that but u get the idea. Sagan being Sagan he may have won anyway though?

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
He got a second place, instead of a 5th, 8th or 12th.... so where is the prob.
Was great to watch that effort. By the way, there wasn't much Sagan had left, sitting at Cancellaras wheel.

I liked it

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Thing is, he got 4th at the Worlds. You'd think 9/10 times he could win from a small group, IDK why it's not working. Maybe just not foxy enough.

If the finish is technical he could attack at a corner or roundabout in the last km? Seemed to work in E3 Prijs 2010.

edit - this:
Frosty said:
People know he will keep pushing if they refuse to take over. He needs to just refuse one time, maybe resulting in them being caught. Then others will think twice and be more likely to work on the front. Might be worth it in the long term.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Thing is, he got 4th at the Worlds. You'd think 9/10 times he could win from a small group, IDK why it's not working. Maybe just not foxy enough.

If the finish is technical he could attack at a corner or roundabout in the last km? Seemed to work in E3 Prijs 2010.

edit - this:

Really ?

Marco Pantani said:
He got a second place, instead of a 5th, 8th or 12th.... so where is the prob.
Was great to watch that effort. By the way, there wasn't much Sagan had left, sitting at Cancellaras wheel.

I liked it

2nd is first loser

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
taiwan said:

edit - this:

That would help, but the initial acceleration in E3 flew in on straight I think.
It's really about, can they get his wheel immediately. Sagan is the right man to do.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Frosty said:
Would you rather be guaranteed second place knowing that you had done the hard work for someone else to win, or take a shot at winning but maybe end up 8th/10th?

Would he really have had a shot at first from that group?:)

His shot at first was the move.

I honestly don't find any reason to critisize him today at all - He actually took the race by the horns & fought to the very end-Sagan literally stuck to his wheel until the sprint, where Spartacus has no chance to succeed. As some folk here wrote-he might need a team-but then he did quite well without it in defending the yellow jersey. Overall - I'd love to see him away from the Schleck sisters & with an army at his disposal, so he can select which races he wants to win & have a free role during the Tour :)

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
taiwan said:
Well put it this way: if it was any rider from the top ten apart from Sagan or Boasson Hagen that had his wheel, he'd have had it.

It was a carbon copy of San Remo vs. Gerrans. Sagan said no 3 or 4 times, knowing Fabian would sit there regardless, gave him a token turn and blew his doors off in the sprint.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
will10 said:
It was a carbon copy of San Remo vs. Gerrans. Sagan said no 3 or 4 times, knowing Fabian would sit there regardless, gave him a token turn and blew his doors off in the sprint.

I should probably admit at this point that as usual I haven't actually seen the stage. I'm purely speculating.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Frosty said:
No, he wouldnt have had a shot at first from that group having put in that effort, that's the reason why he wanted Sagan to come through.

You wanna tell me Cancellara had a better chance to win in a sprint against Sagan and EBH, than in a late attack or what???

Come on

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Marco Pantani said:
You wanna tell me Cancellara had a better chance to win in a sprint against Sagan and EBH, than in a late attack or what???

Come on

Actually I think only Sagan could have stopped him today. That guy is just scary strong.

EBH would have not caught on if Cancellara had not sat up a few times in the attempt to get Sagan to come round.

Marco Pantani said:

Come on

:confused:

He would have had a better chance of winning if Sagan was setting the pace (EBH was cooked), its easier to attack when your main competitor is in front of you than behind you, unless its stupidly steep which it wasnt towards the end. Basic stuff.

taiwan said:

edit - this:

In this stage though the finish was not technical ( except for cobbles ) but hard- and he was the strongest, so he did well to attack. It was however the first TDF stage so more riders were fresh enough to cling onto him.

will10 said:

In M-SR he did not really call for help- the others were just trying to stick with him on the descent. On the flat he barely asked for help and Gerrans gave him one pull.

TRENDING THREADS