• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

Page 14 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
9000ft said:
Well, seeing how he has made a very good living racing bicycles for quite a few years, and is considered at the very top of the elite in his specialties and you're on the internet telling him how he should race, who looks stupid?

Are you new here? Isn't that the whole point of an internet forum?

Wallace said:
Are you new here? Isn't that the whole point of an internet forum?

I never understand posts like 9000ft. You’re exactly right – this is the very reason we’re here.

To the subject at hand; I don’t think anyone denies the obvious qualities of Cancellara. He’s highly regarded in fact. He’s not an Ullrich where the talent is being wasted. By all accounts Cancellara is a demon trainer and extremely dedicated. It’s the tactics and the team that have let him down. That’s the frustration element to all of this. But maybe that’s the problem – he’s too strong and too good for his own good. If he didn’t have all the strength he’d maybe have to have more nous in the brains/tactics department.

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
nobilis said:
I might be wrong, but i think that Radioshack Nissan had a very decent team yesterday, the best after OPQS. And I'm interested to see what Tony Gallopin would do in the future.

They were almost invisible in the first 150km but then they proved to be a strong team. Rast, Bennati, Gallopin, Popovych and Roulston could have given Cancellara much more support than he got last year, but sh!t happens (by the way it's good to see Roulston, the guy who rode every hill of Gent-Wevelgem in the end of the bunch, finding his form before PR). The problem of this team is people's prejudice. They got used to a thought that Cancellara's cobbled team is crap and it's very hard to make them think otherwise. It's like with Pippo. He earned reputation of the wheelsucker for a big part of cycling fans and even yesterday, when he launched an attack that only Boonen could follow (and it was Tom who sat on Pippo's wheel this time), I got to read a comment (in RVV thread) that made me numb. It was something like 'wow, Pozzato is taking a turn' or so :eek:

EDIT: As for Gallopin, his time is yet to come but Roubaix is first of all for Rast and Roulston.

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I never understand posts like 9000ft. You’re exactly right – this is the very reason we’re here.

To the subject at hand; I don’t think anyone denies the obvious qualities of Cancellara. He’s highly regarded in fact. He’s not an Ullrich where the talent is being wasted. By all accounts Cancellara is a demon trainer and extremely dedicated. It’s the tactics and the team that have let him down. That’s the frustration element to all of this. But maybe that’s the problem – he’s too strong and too good for his own good. If he didn’t have all the strength he’d maybe have to have more nous in the brains/tactics department.

Then why didn't you say something like this in the first place? Your OP comes condescendingly across as if Cancellara rides stupidly even though he has had one of the most successful careers of any active pro racer. If his and his teams tactics have been stupid then I'd guess a lot of riders wish they were as dumb or as stronger for their own good as he is.

9000ft said:
Then why didn't you say something like this in the first place? Your OP comes condescendingly across as if Cancellara rides stupidly even though he has had one of the most successful careers of any active pro racer. If his and his teams tactics have been stupid then I'd guess a lot of riders wish they were as dumb or as stronger for their own good as he is.

My OP was from MSR where he did ride like an idiot and he was stupid. I’ve written ad nausem about his poor tactics in relation to his obvious talent. I’m not going to repeat myself. His road race tactics since his 2010 victories in Roubaix and Flanders have been nothign short of diabolical.

thehog said:
My OP was from MSR where he did ride like an idiot and he was stupid. I’ve written ad nausem about his poor tactics in relation to his obvious talent. I’m not going to repeat myself.
All you've done through out this thread is repeat yourself, are you a parrot or something? :D
Seriously, knock it off, everybody knows who you really are.

nobilis said:
I might be wrong, but i think that Radioshack Nissan had a very decent team yesterday, the best after OPQS. And I'm interested to see what Tony Gallopin would do in the future.

I think OPQS tied with BMC.

1 team had the winner/ the threat of Chavanel and Terpstra discouraging others to chase Boonen down. BMC on the other hand had several options, were evident and had Ballan ( launcher of the split ) and GVA who won the sprint- who knows what could have happened???

Liquigas, FV, Sky and RSNT all tied behind- in my view.

greenedge said:

1 team had the winner/ the threat of Chavanel and Terpstra discouraging others to chase Boonen down. BMC on the other hand had several options, were evident and had Ballan ( launcher of the split ) and GVA who won the sprint- who knows what could have happened???

Common mistake on this thread is making claims of number of riders at certain points in a race. Yes having riders helps to a degree but it does depend on what they’re doing. Most teams had riders in the final 40km. But when you look to QS they by far had the most active and best team in the entire race. Sure Leopard had a few riders around but once Cancellara was gone they had nothing to ride for and sat on the pack. No shame in doing that but they were hardly enforces and rode like a Classics winning team.

People think I’m digging into Radioshack for its history with Lance but I'm not. Its more I believe Fabs is the greatest rider on the earth and I love watching him ride. I just get broken when I see year after year him making poor tactical decisions and riding for teams who are not in the classics mold.

If you look through his non-TT palmares there actually not that great for a guy who is probably 20-60 watts better than everyone else over 100km.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
greenedge said:

Several options? GVA was never going to do anything but mop up the bunch, and they couldn't help Ballan get Pozzato or Boonen off his wheel. How do they even come close to the all-round threat of OPQS?

May 5, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
I believe Fabs is the greatest rider on the earth and I love watching him ride.

If you look through his non-TT palmares there actually not that great for a guy who is probably 20-60 watts better than everyone else over 100km.

Couldn't agree more with both statements. And unfortunately, he's already passed 31years of age... maybe max. one or two years at this level? and the new young breed is coming...

raddone said:
Yep. 2 PR, 1 RvV, 1 MS, 2 E3, 2 Strade Biache to name just the better ones is not that great.

If they were Simon Gerrans career wins you'd say he over achieved and thats awesome. Even if Pozatto had those stats you'd say not bad but Fabs should end his career with a Hinault like career record. I mean blimey Sean Kelly won a Vuelta once did he not? That's what happens when you have a team riding for you.

Caruut said:
Several options? GVA was never going to do anything but mop up the bunch, and they couldn't help Ballan get Pozzato or Boonen off his wheel. How do they even come close to the all-round threat of OPQS?

Because they had been trying to get rid of Boonen all day, then it was left to Ballan to try crack Boonen ( in fact it was nearly Pozzato ) but they got him in to the perfect position and still got 3/4. GVA evidently in that sprint did well ( admittedly Sagan tried to chase the leaders down and GVA did not have to ride- but that is the advantage of having teammates out front ).

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
OPQS were clearly the strongest team. When it mattered they had 3 in the top 10 ready to make the race. 3rd and 4th looks impressive, as do the numbers who finished in the second group, but when it mattered I think OPQS had 3 of the strongest 10 riders. BMC were strong but in my eyes there is no doubt OPQS were a cut above. Likewise with RSNT they may have tried to chase back the top 3 or at least they should have been, but those top 3 weren't going all out and kept going away. I'm certain if Terpstra and Chavanel helped that gap would have dropped.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
BMC had Ballan in that 3 man group, so why would they chase???

Same reason as liquigas should have chased down Nibali in MSR. Ballan/Nibali were only ever going to be 3rd, where as Sagan/GVA could well be 1st. It's obviously a gamble and I'm not sure I'd do it, but that would be the reason.

BMC were good no doubt, but as a team they never put pressure on Boonen which is what they had to do. Yes they rode on the front a few times, but they never applied pressure and strung the peloton out, and it was Ballan on his own that almost broke him. OPQS had Chavanel and Terpstra in the top 10 when it mattered and even covered small moves as they went off the front. Ballan really looked to be fending for himself on the last loop. IMHO BMC were not the equal of OPQS, most likely second best.

Wasn't there like a 12 second gap on the Kruisberg ( that Chavanel had to close down quite early )- admittedly not their main man but i'm sure that would have tired a few. That solo effort off the front from Burghardt in the last lap set up perfectly for Ballans' attack as well.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
greenedge said:
Wasn't there like a 12 second gap on the Kruisberg ( that Chavanel had to close down quite early )- admittedly not their main man but i'm sure that would have tired a few. That solo effort off the front from Burghardt in the last lap set up perfectly for Ballans' attack as well.

Burghardt's effort? You mean the one where he bridged to Terpstra and Jerome to be instantly dropped by Terpstra? Terpstra and Chavanel were extremely active in the entire last lap, pushing the pace, attacking, counter attacking. BMC was in no way their equal

TRENDING THREADS