• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What tactic does Cancellara use now?

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
It is absolutely true that Omega Pharma Quickstep have the better or even best Classics' team at the moment. How that makes that make Cancellara's RSN team "crap," I don't know.

Maybe they should have had a few guys up the road to dismount in the feedzone and sweep fallen the water bottles from his path.

thehog said:
I think the move to Leopard gave him the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's the last thing he needs - what he needs most his a team and DS who has Classics blood coursing through his vains.

Bruyneel is hardly the right guy for this situation.

Oh, but come July, we'll see a resplendent Team Tandy with Cancellara working hard for the Schleckletts. Grrrr....

It's tragic really. My guess is Cancellara has known his classics attempts were over just after the Bruyneel takeover.

The guy is a champion through and through. Not a team mate in sight during the classics and still takes the fight on.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Oh, but come July, we'll see a resplendent Team Tandy with Cancellara working hard for the Schleckletts. Grrrr....

It's tragic really. My guess is Cancellara has known his classics attempts were over just after the Bruyneel takeover.

The guy is a champion through and through. Not a team mate in sight during the classics and still takes the fight on.

3 statements, all incorrect :D
amazing

DirtyWorks said:

I have to say Cancellara is at the crossroads career wise.

If he was on a classics team all would not be lost. He could go for stage wins at the Tour. That won't happen now because he has break wind for Andy.

If I had a lazy 30 million lying around I'd build him the team he deserves.

Look at Boonen; the team rides for him and for him alone. Come the Tour he'll still have a chance to win more.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Poor Spartacus...

thehog said:
I have to say Cancellara is at the crossroads career wise.

If he was on a classics team all would not be lost. He could go for stage wins at the Tour. That won't happen now because he has break wind for Andy.

If I had a lazy 30 million lying around I'd build him the team he deserves.

Look at Boonen; the team rides for him and for him alone. Come the Tour he'll still have a chance to win more.

He's now become Couchacus for the next six weeks.

thehog said:
Its only after the event can a full assessment be made. I'm also looking forward to hearing what Cancellara has to say about the incident.

No need to wait, his team has nothing or very little to do with his accident as you've earlier suggested, and you've supposedly seen on TV :rolleyes:

“I saw him fall, he was right beside me, and I all but went with him,” said Omega Pharma-Quick Step’s Sylvain Chavanel. ”There were water bottles all over the road. He flew through the air in impressive style. He was very unlucky.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/04/news/cancellara-crashes-out-of-flanders_211698

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Cancellara will now have gone two years, and two of his absolute peak years, without a monument win. Next Spring he'll turn 33. He's got what, three, maybe four more years at absolute most before the big decline sets in. This makes his crash even more of tragedy, really. He had better come up with some new strategies--if not a new team--next year. He can't afford to waste any more opportunities.

Wallace said:
Cancellara will now have gone two years, and two of his absolute peak years, without a monument win. Next Spring he'll turn 33. He's got what, three, maybe four more years at absolute most before the big decline sets in. This makes his crash even more of tragedy, really. He had better come up with some new strategies--if not a new team--next year. He can't afford to waste any more opportunities.

Agreed its a tragedy. I love watching him ride and win. In saying that I cringe when he attacks and it comes to nothing.

Boonen is becoming a cycling legend and has worked through his drinking/drug demons to become a very versatile rider for all conditions.

History will remember the guy on the top step not the one riding over bottles.

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe he should focus on his TT for the Olympics now? That seems to be the only way to salvage his season. Unless he somehow targets Lombardia(highly unlikely I know)?

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Wallace said:

He is 31 now.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Wallace said:

Canc should've stayed with Riis. What team would give him the same support Boonen gets? Not Saxo as it is now.

thehog said:
I think this will break him mentally. Be interesting to see if he can come back as good as before.....

He's likely devastated right now but I think he'll be alright and come back just as strong. The only problem is Boonen is back to his best, Pipo has his confidence back, Gilbert will be trying to make up for this year's lost cobbled classic season, and Sagan will be a year older, wiser and likely even stronger.
Should be quite entertaining provided they all stay upright and healthy.

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
I think this will break him mentally. Be interesting to see if he can come back as good as before.....

I don't think a broken collarbone is likely to mentally break a man like Cancellara, I mean Alex Zulle was back within days after a similar incident, Wiggins placing in a GT after a few weeks and I wouldn't like to be a bearing in Fab's turbo trainer over the next few weeks would you?

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
You missed the elephant in the room.

Worlds rr.

Also Olympic rr if ridden hard can be won by Cancellara. If he makes it back that is.

Last Olympics he skipped the worlds right?

But I guess you have a point about the worlds road race. It would be incredibly awesome to see the champion jersey on the most deserving one day racer.

I have serious doubts about the Olympic rr. I mean, you have nine laps of a very easy hill. Is it harder than MSR, a race where someone still managed to stick on his wheel, for example?

I still think the Olympic year is the best opportunity for him to regain his time trial glory.