• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What was the most extreme thing you did because you are a cyclist?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What was the most extreme thing you did because you are a cyclist?
Ran class 6 rapids? no that was because I am a kayaker. Skiing at over 130kph? no that was because I am a skiier. I've done some extreme things on a bicycle, from way back when all similar 12 yr old lads tried to jump a ____.

No, I cycle for exercise, relaxation, excitment, and the best way to see, to really see, the world we live in. Not extreme, but unlike kayaking and skiing, I am not limited in where I chose to go.

A

Anonymous

2010 Tour of Flanders Cyclo, 260kms in rain most of the day for close to ten hours. I asked myself "WTF am I doing here" about 10,000 times...

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Lived in a car for the majority of a summer while I followed the racing scene across the western USA.

It's a shame when desire to make a living racing vastly exceeds the natural ability to do so.

A luxury was making enough money to be able to split a crappy hotel room with three other guys, sleep two to a bed, and brush the teeth with running water.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Nearly had a head on collison with a motorcyclist coming the other way whilst descending the Tourmalet. I was trying to catch a friend who was just up the road, we didn't miss each other by much.

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Riding at night in the dead of winter. I think the grey of dusk and dawn is the most dangerous time to ride so... in the dead of winter I can't get time to ride before work (sun up too late) or after work (sun down too early) so I ride late night. It's cold and sort of scary (I picture mountain lions watching me from the bushes) but that's all you got for a few months.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Bought my first ever bike at 39 (yes I had a deprived childhood) and the following year did a 300km in a day ride on one of the hottest days of the year. Why didn't someone warn me cycling could become addictive?

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Smashed into the back of a car turning in front of me, flipped over the corner of the car and landed on my head and separated my shoulder. I was out of it for about 10 minutes as I had a concussion. Remember grabbing my bike, dizzy with my head buzzing and moving to the side of the road to sit down until I could think straight. People stopped and wanted to call paramedics as I was fairly bashed up but I hopped on my bike and rode home 20 miles with one arm as I was concerned about leaving my bike or what would happen to it if I had to get in the ambulance. Once home, called someone to take me to the hospital.

I'm an amateur cyclist, so last year after doing a couple of centuries on different weekends, I did a fast century on a Saturday, and then got up on Sunday and did over 110 miles that day. For me it was a big accomplishment.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Decided that if in fact the weatherman happened to be right on a random chance it wouldn't be that bad. That was the thought prior to having to ride home in a driving rain that felt like needles and the flash flood waters that were as deep as my BB.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I crashed into a traffic light pole at 50kmph racing a night time crit (which was won by Garmin rider Jack Brobridge). Fracturing some ribs and tearing my rotator cuff.

That was on a Friday night. Over that weekend I participated in a 24 hour race where me and my team did over 1000kms in this pedal powered monstrosity.

DSC_0352.jpg

It was pointless, and stupid on nearly all levels.

TRENDING THREADS