• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What whisky are you drinking?

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
I'm drinking AnCnoc tonight. Got a choice of the 12 year, really light floral and honeyed, or the 18 year, much deeper, complex, and only arrived today so I needs bit of time to get to know it. The 12 I can drink all day long, its one of those bottles that just seems to sink down before you know it

I'm an Islay man when it comes to whisky, should really be Speyside as that's where my roots are but hey ho. Currently got a nice Ardbeg and Laphroaig (both 10 year old) on the go. Mind you my Dad is coming over on Sunday and he hates Islay malts so may have to pick up something smoother to keep him happy:) Thinking Macallan but will see what's on offer!!

I suppose this is one of those "gentleman's only" type of threads... you know, ladies, the ones where they drink the fancy whisky, smoke fancy cigars, and wear fancy smoking jackets. But still I must ask...

A JD on the rocks - I suppose this will not get me accepted into this club?

Tricycle Rider said:
I suppose this is one of those "gentleman's only" type of threads... you know, ladies, the ones where they drink the fancy whisky, smoke fancy cigars, and wear fancy smoking jackets. But still I must ask...

A JD on the rocks - I suppose this will not get me accepted into this club?

Far from it;) Mrs F, (who is from braw Highland stock), will only ever drink her whisky neat with a couple of ice cubes!! Always a wee drop of water in mine, half and half but nae ice, ever:)

Pricey, have you tried the Jameson's Gold? Worth getting hold of if you're a Jameson's fan.

Personally, I'm a fan of Auchentoshan, in particular, the Three Wood.
Have been enjoying the Japanese whiskeys too, of late... Hakushu, Yamazaki and Nikka

Been hearing that the Tasmanians have been doing some good things on the whiskey front, but am yet to try any...

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Auchentoshen used to be a favorite of mine. But there is so much out there these days that I chop and change. Currently got about 30 different whiskies and one bourbon.

@ferryman. Have you come across any of the BenRiach stuff? Heavy peated Speyside, with al sorts of caskings. They did a Tawny Port cask that was amazing but I drank the entire world supply so its pretty hard to get and expensive.

Really like the new Islay distillery, Kilchoman. Very young but very promising.

Archibald said:
Pricey, have you tried the Jameson's Gold? Worth getting hold of if you're a Jameson's fan.

Personally, I'm a fan of Auchentoshan, in particular, the Three Wood.
Have been enjoying the Japanese whiskeys too, of late... Hakushu, Yamazaki and Nikka

Been hearing that the Tasmanians have been doing some good things on the whiskey front, but am yet to try any...

No I've not tried Jameson's Gold, will have to give it a try.

I was stationed at Ft. Knox, KY for about 18 months in the late '80s and really enjoyed too much bourbon/whisky. I've been a Patron guy for many years now as my go to for alcohol, but mostly just drink beer. If you're ever in KY and/or TN, the whisky tours are fun. The smaller ones were usually better than the bigger ones (JD and JB were purely tourist traps...fun but very commercial). Wild Turkey was a BBQ, concert, party!

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm mostly an Islay man (I still have to try Kilchoman), but I'm also pretty big on Talisker (10, but getting that one and not the new, in my opinion inferior, Talisker Skye it's getting harder and harder).
When it comes to non peated stuff I'm pretty big on Aberlour 10, it's a nice scotch that you can pretty much always drink.
Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a great value for money scotch, Talisker 10 also used to be one, but now they are replacing it with the new Talisker Skye.
I really should try some rye whisky, but they are rather hard to get.

Re:

mcduff said:
Auchentoshen used to be a favorite of mine. But there is so much out there these days that I chop and change. Currently got about 30 different whiskies and one bourbon.

@ferryman. Have you come across any of the BenRiach stuff? Heavy peated Speyside, with al sorts of caskings. They did a Tawny Port cask that was amazing but I drank the entire world supply so its pretty hard to get and expensive.

No, but you have me intrigued:) Will look out for it. Don't mind paying a wee bit over the odds now and again!

Re:

Mayomaniac said:
I'm mostly an Islay man (I still have to try Kilchoman), but I'm also pretty big on Talisker (10, but getting that one and not the new, in my opinion inferior, Talisker Skye it's getting harder and harder).
When it comes to non peated stuff I'm pretty big on Aberlour 10, it's a nice scotch that you can pretty much always drink.
Laphroaig Quarter Cask is a great value for money scotch, Talisker 10 also used to be one, but now they are replacing it with the new Talisker Skye.
I really should try some rye whisky, but they are rather hard to get.
I used to be a Talisker fan (still am if truth be told), but when we did the tour a few years ago and learned what they put in it for the colour, I sort of went off it a wee bit. And that's with a very small 'w';)

Re: Re:

ferryman said:
mcduff said:

No, but you have me intrigued:) Will look out for it. Don't mind paying a wee bit over the odds now and again!

That has me interested as well. Thanks. Glad you survived the challenge.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site

aphronesis said:
ferryman said:
mcduff said:

You are US based, no? If you've a taste for the decent sweet bourbons have a go at Bowmore The Darkest...smoke, peat, sweetness, dried fruits, etc.

Can you offer up a bourbon tip to ameliorate my ignorance? I've got as far as Evan Williams Single Barrell, which were it not for the overwhelming sweetness I'd have taken blind for a sherry barrelled Lowland or Speyside, but infinitely better value for money. What should I aim for next?

You guys like your alcohol sweet. I've been on British US styled and hopped IPA for a while now. Can't get enough of it, but Ireckon I'll have rotted all the teeth out of my mouth by Christmas. ( and none of your 'english-mouth' based retorts please :lol: )

Hey you guys have dental clinics. I don't know what that's all about.

I've only been drinking Kings County from Brooklyn the last couple of years. The Peated I mentioned, but also the barrel strength (dangerous) and the Bonded.

My tastes run to Lagavulin, so that's a marker. I'm sure I mentioned it in the beer thread, but if you can get beer from or at the Kernel (if uou don't know it), his US influenced take on UK styles is great.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:

I've only been drinking Kings County from Brooklyn the last couple of years. The Peated I mentioned, but also the barrel strength (dangerous) and the Bonded.

My tastes run to Lagavulin, so that's a marker. I'm sure I mentioned it in the beer thread, but if you can get beer from or at the Kernel (if uou don't know it), his US influenced take on UK styles is great.

Not tried Kernel, but the brewery is just down the road from Fourpure, so I feel a taproom tour coming on. I'm in Manchester next weekend for a Leftfield gig, and being a bit too old to spice my mind, I'm going to sozzle my face in the Cloudwater taproom first. What about that Pliny the Elder stuff Americans go all misty eyed over? Old hat or still where its at?

Yeah, Lagavulin. The 16 is pretty much the pinnacle. You can't go wrong with it. Got a bottle of that, and the Distillers Edition Pedro Ximenez in the cabinet. The 16 is half the price, but better in my view.

OK, I'm eying up the Kings County. 32 quid for 20cl. :eek:

mcduff said:
aphronesis said:

Not tried Kernel, but the brewery is just down the road from Fourpure, so I feel a taproom tour coming on. I'm in Manchester next weekend for a Leftfield gig, and being a bit too old to spice my mind, I'm going to sozzle my face in the Cloudwater taproom first. What about that Pliny the Elder stuff Americans go all misty eyed over? Old hat or still where its at?

Yeah, Lagavulin. The 16 is pretty much the pinnacle. You can't go wrong with it. Got a bottle of that, and the Distillers Edition Pedro Ximenez in the cabinet. The 16 is half the price, but better in my view.

OK, I'm eying up the Kings County. 32 quid for 20cl. :eek:

Yeah, it's a little steep.

Partizan is down in Bermondsey too, a good day under the arches. I haven't had Pliny in a few years since I last lived in SF. Archaic colonial era liquor or state laws make distribution on the east coast a little scatter shot. A friend tells me that it's dropped off a bit, but she's more reliable on stouts. If you see it somewhere, maybe the Craft on Leather Lane, I'd try it.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Now I'm thirsty...

Such a welcome revolution in British pubs and beers. In a way its back to its roots with pubs brewing their own beers but the technology is so good and the cross fertilisation of technique and ingredients from the US, Antipodes and Europe is making a huge difference. We've always had good beer around but until recently its been a very introspective culture. I cant get my head around how good canned beer is now. If you spent your formative years drinking Watneys Party Seven you'll understand.

Anyway. Whisky. Anybody tried Michel Couvreur Blossoming Auld Sherried ?

ferryman said:
Far from it;) Mrs F, (who is from braw Highland stock), will only ever drink her whisky neat with a couple of ice cubes!! Always a wee drop of water in mine, half and half but nae ice, ever:)
I definitely appreciate the reply, but reading the rest of this thread through today it still conjures up images of this (dude should be much older and distinguished looking, though, methinks)...

whisky.jpg

But that's okay, people can get just as picky about their wines. (Am not about to start a thread on wines, though, it would seem somewhat superfluous and unnecessary.) So you hard liq drinking peoples are totally fine with me. :cool:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site

mcduff said:
aphronesis said:
ferryman said:
mcduff said:

You are US based, no? If you've a taste for the decent sweet bourbons have a go at Bowmore The Darkest...smoke, peat, sweetness, dried fruits, etc.

Can you offer up a bourbon tip to ameliorate my ignorance? I've got as far as Evan Williams Single Barrell, which were it not for the overwhelming sweetness I'd have taken blind for a sherry barrelled Lowland or Speyside, but infinitely better value for money. What should I aim for next?

You guys like your alcohol sweet. I've been on British US styled and hopped IPA for a while now. Can't get enough of it, but Ireckon I'll have rotted all the teeth out of my mouth by Christmas. ( and none of your 'english-mouth' based retorts please :lol: )
ruuuutroooooh shaggy.

TRENDING THREADS