• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What whisky are you drinking?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
At the moment... on your right.

bulleit-kentucky-straight-bourbon-95-rye-whiskey.jpg

Re: Re:

ferryman said:
I used to be a Talisker fan (still am if truth be told), but when we did the tour a few years ago and learned what they put in it for the colour, I sort of went off it a wee bit. And that's with a very small 'w';)

WHAT do they put in the Talisker for the colour? :)

TomasC said:
ferryman said:
I used to be a Talisker fan (still am if truth be told), but when we did the tour a few years ago and learned what they put in it for the colour, I sort of went off it a wee bit. And that's with a very small 'w';)

Spirit caramel, specifically E150A. Talisker are not alone in doing this though. I note that the two Ferryman mention on the first page do not contain this, I'm not sure if this is a happy coincidence or by design.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site

King Boonen said:
TomasC said:
ferryman said:

Spirit caramel, specifically E150A. Talisker are not alone in doing this though. I note that the two Ferryman mention on the first page do not contain this, I'm not sure if this is a happy coincidence or by design.
Yes, it's apretty common practice to make a younger single malt look "better".
Laphroaig do the same with their 10y, but that one is also watered down to 40% and chill filtered.
As far ass I know the´Laphroaig Quarter Cask has no caramel, non-chill filtered an bottled at 48% and for such a young, peated whisky it's rather complex. I'd love to try a Laphroaig 10 cask strengh, is it still possible to find that one?

King Boonen said:
TomasC said:
ferryman said:

Yes, it was caramel. And just a very happy coincidence:)

Apparently it does noting to the taste, a good few experts have tried and failed to detect it, but you'll get a lot of people claiming it does... I've nearly finished my 18 year old Bowmore. Will need to replace it with something soon!

Mayomaniac, the whisky exchange usually have everything but the rarest of whiskies, you'll have to pay a lot for it though.

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
No whisky. Why drinking whisky when wine is out there and it's much, much better. Whisky tastes terrible. Any spirits is jsut out of necessity. You guys won't agree probably though :)

Kokoso said:
No whisky. Why drinking whisky when wine is out there and it's much, much better. Whisky tastes terrible. Any spirits is jsut out of necessity. You guys won't agree probably though :)
I hear you but you are wrong;) Try different whiskys, I bet there is one out there for you:) It really isn't out of necessity but of enjoyment. I got 3 bottles of Malt for Xmas, they lasted 6 months. Love wine as well but when there are two of you you can easily drink 2/3/4 bottles over a weekend at £5 a pop. All in, whisky tastes better and is better value;)

Feb 21, 2017
Visit site
Sorry to zombie up the thread but just noticed it. Was gifted my fav, Basil Hayden. Not a scotch, but has a lovely peppermint finish when drinking neat.

A 12 year old Midleton single pot still whiskey called Redbreast among my Christmas presents. Should be a nice replacement for my recently finished Green Spot (also a Midleton product).

Looking forward to a special enough birthday to get a Midleton Very Rare, which is true nectar.

TRENDING THREADS