• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What will happen to this forum...

May 15, 2009
Visit site
when Armstrong retires?

(apologizing for my basic and primitive English, only my third language)

Right now, too many posts here are only about LA. Continuous trolling, jokes about him (pretty hilarious ones, I admit), discussion of his doping past, bashing of pro-Lance posters, and so on. Only thread which I am closely following is the thread in Clinic about Nowitzky's investigation.

As for me, I stay pretty neutral(or, let's say, he is quite a complex person, just like all of us and it's not fair to think about him only as a symbol of Absolute Evil and cancer of cycling) on LA, unlike some anti-Lance zealots like TFF or BroDeal. I respect him for battling against cancer, and disrespect for being a doper, a fraud, and for his sociopathic behavior.

It seems to me that too many posters here (anti-Lance) will suffer (after the retirement 2.0) from "LA's absence syndrome". They just need him as an object of hatred.

Apostate

BANNED
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Delicato said:
when Armstrong retires? (apart from BPC committing suicide)

Right now, too many posts here are only about LA. Continuous trolling, jokes about him (pretty hilarious ones, I admit), discussion of his doping past, bashing of pro-Lance posters, and so on. Only thread which I am closely following is the thread in Clinic about Nowitzky's investigation.

As for me, I stay pretty neutral(or, let's say, he is quite a complex person, just like all of us and it's not fair to think about him only as a symbol of Absolute Evil and cancer of cycling) on LA, unlike some anti-Lance zealots like TFF or BroDeal. I respect him for battling against cancer, and disrespect for being a doper, a fraud, and for his sociopathic behavior.

It seems to me that too many posters here (anti-Lance) will suffer (after the retirement 2.0) from "LA's absence syndrome". They just need him as an object of hatred.

Yes it will be interesting to see if they still follow the sport without their bogeyman.

But we forget that they like all the stuff about trials and court cases much more than the tours. Tours are just the irritating part that intervene, where fans join the forum (shock horror!), and they have to talk about how other riders are doing in the race itself. They don't like that very much and admit this. They much prefer the gossip about Armstrong.

So with this investigation going on for possibly years they'll be very content with that.

The funny thing about the remark about me commiting suicide is in many ways they are much more attached to Armstrong than I am.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Apostate said:
Yes it will be interesting to see if they still follow the sport without their bogeyman.

But we forget that they like all the stuff about trials and court cases much more than the tours. Tours are just the irritating part that intervene, where fans join the forum (shock horror!), and they have to talk about how other riders are doing in the race itself. They don't like that very much and admit this. They much prefer the gossip about Armstrong.

So with this investigation going on for possibly years they'll be very content with that.

The funny thing about the remark about me commiting suicide is in many ways they are much more attached to Armstrong than I am.

It'll be fine though. You'll have shot your self so it really doesn't concern you.

Too mean?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
lance? who's lance? he never did anything for cycling, i hate lance, hate hate hate lance
i hope he dies, he's what 37min42 second behind in 25th place? stupid lance
it's not like he's ever won anything

he's a doper too.

i don't even know who lance is, but i'm sure i'd hate him.

Apostate

BANNED
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
The Need

bobs *** said:
I don't know what will happen but I am looking forward to it.

The point he is making is 'no you won't really'. You like moralising about Armstrong and pretending he is the reason for everything that is wrong in cycling and your own life.

There is obviously a need in people like yourself that makes you love to hate this individual. That need is not going away, whatever happens to the person himself. It will just be transfered onto something else.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Apostate said:

Weren't you banned from the forum?

Considering that you respect the rules as much as your idol does, I guess I understand your love for him.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:

The name of the website is Cyclingnews - not Lancenews - it will be fine.

The posters that you mentioned post all year round - they will be here with or without LA.

A more pertinent question is how many who have joined this past month will make it to August? The Tour is a huge draw in Cycling and I hope that many who have found this site stay (and contribute)- but if their motivation was to support/not support LA then they will be gone by Monday.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:

First off, I wish my third language skills were as good as yours.

Secondly, I'd simply look at the number of posts about yesterday's stage, or the headbutt stage, or the numerous other days where LA was barely a mention.

As the good Dr. says, it's not Lancenews, even though it seems that way at times.

What will happen to the forum after Lance retires?

I will make my comeback as most of the people who know very little about pro cycling will have disappeared by then and all the regular posters will get back to talking about all the important things related to pro cycling(without Lance) the classics, the GTs, etc, etc.

A

Anonymous

Delicato said:

I post here year round, and not only in Lance threads. Save your comments for people who come in here 1.5 months out of each year and blab on and on about him.

I wish he would go away. Period.

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Luckily, all the Lance lovers will transfer over to being Alberto haters and continually tell us how he ruined LA's chances at an 8th title by attacking on a hill.

They will also start up triathlon threads to tell us how LA will win Kona. But they will also start wearing short socks, so they will be shown no respect at all.

On the upside forums should lose some of the jingoistic threads about how any American who decides to ride a bike is automatically a favourite for the TdF - regardless of failures to step-up in the GT's in the past (Levi anyone).

Unfortunately, there is also a high likelihood that we will have to start dealing with fanboy views that Taylor Phinney will win the Tour in his first season as a 21y.o. neo-pro. Or that he's a certainty to do something at Roubaix next year as hes reigning junior champion.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:

The LA talk will continue after he retires. The same thing happened last time he retired. On other forums everyone thought it would end, but it continued all the way up until he came back out of retirement.
Trust me, it wont go away. It will just be consolidated into one thread cause everyone will be really annoyed that it is continuing.

A

Anonymous

nothing will change

we will talk about the trial for a year and all the lance fans will continue to come on and hard about how lance was the greatest rider that ever lived.

besides that, lance is a such a media ***** that he will find ways to dominate the headlines even once he has stopped racing. He just wont go away :/

A

Anonymous

Martin318is said:
Watch it, Green boy...

HA HA!! Just givin' back some of the abuse I have gotten from Aussies over the years. No malice intended.

TRENDING THREADS