• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's more important in sport? Revenue or fair play?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 11, 2009
Visit site
Both are critical.
I've promoted both road and track racing at the amatuer level (I also was president of a velodrome). Without revenue it is impossible to put on a sanctioned race.

Joachim

BANNED
Dec 22, 2012
Visit site
Professional sport is about earning a living, and the more money involved the more potential for a degradation of sporting values. I think the Armstrong era illustrates this nicely.

If you want a clearer example, take a look at English Premier league football. Those guys loose change in their back pockets is greater than most pro riders salaries. It wasn't always like this, and the sport has grown cynical as a result

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Basecase said:
Are you standing by your previous contention that my premise is flawed and sport is just entertainment?
yeah.

The refereeing in the NBA always favours the big markets come play-offs.

They need the quotation marks "rules" for the games credibility and the economic consumption.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Basecase said:
But the whole purpose of this discussion is to look beyond self interests and try to establish ultimately what's best for society with the role sport plays in it.

Do you need to know where someone is coming from before you give your opinion?
sport plays a role for activity and development of children and juveniles. before money and politics enters.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Humm... lets see money makes the world go around and it also takes money to get 9 or 8 guys and staff to races all over Europe and sometimes remote locations of Earth and the prizes list money? Fair Play gives us? Something tells me the OP has issues with money.

If there was ever a troll thread this one is one of the trolliest of trollable and a mod posts in it and lets it continue, what does that tell us? :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS