• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's up with Simeoni ?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Are the Italian Championships and the Giro both organized by RCS Sports? I can see the benefit of this symbolic gesture if they are, but otherwise it seems pointless. While I am no fan of Simeoni, I do think he has a right to complain about his team's exclusion considering he is a two-time winner of the Giro (and also current national champion of Italy). He may be getting long in the tooth and his current performances don't suggest he'll do too much in the Giro, but how different is that to the Giro's main drawcard this year?

He's just throwing all his cards on the table in a desperate bid to get into the Giro. For the Italians that's the ultimate goal and I'm sure he feels he's got some leverage as the National Champion being excluded. It's working too as it's high drama so the media will run with the story. Doubt his team gets in though as the organizer will just look even worse with a last minute change.

elapid said:
While I am no fan of Simeoni, I do think he has a right to complain about his team's exclusion considering he is a two-time winner of the Giro (and also current national champion of Italy).

Nah, that was Gilberto Simoni (who is in the race). This is Filippo Simeoni. Gibo is a climber and Filippo is a one-day rouleur. He's got no chance at the overall; he'd be shooting for a flat stage breakaway win at most.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Nah, that was Gilberto Simoni (who is in the race). This is Filippo Simeoni. Gibo is a climber and Filippo is a one-day rouleur. He's got no chance at the overall; he'd be shooting for a flat stage breakaway win at most.

Woops, my bad! No comment then if he is basing his argument solely on being national champion with no other real credentials for his team's inclusion.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Argon Man said:
IMO Ceramica should be in and Diquigiovanni should be out after the olympic positive with Rebellin

Bingo. I couldn't be more disgusted with Reb. He was one of my favorites. His Classics treble had been one of my most-played DVD's during the winter hours on the trainer. So disappointing.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
cyclelicious said:
today
http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2009/it/Primo_Piano/2009/05/04/simeoni.shtml

At the end of article director of the tour Zomegnan defends the decision not to invite his team based on performance at Tirreno-Adriatico where Simeoni DNF.

ah, the drama continues...:D

It is simple, Zomegnan is running a business. Wildcards are given out to the highest bidders and Xacobeo outbid Ceramica. Armstrong's 2 million euro appearance fee has to come from somewhere.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Simeoni not Simoni

elapid said:
Are the Italian Championships and the Giro both organized by RCS Sports? I can see the benefit of this symbolic gesture if they are, but otherwise it seems pointless. While I am no fan of Simeoni, I do think he has a right to complain about his team's exclusion considering he is a two-time winner of the Giro (and also current national champion of Italy). He may be getting long in the tooth and his current performances don't suggest he'll do too much in the Giro, but how different is that to the Giro's main drawcard this year?

You are referring to two different individuals.
Filippo Simeoni
is most famous for feuding with LA, while
Gilberto Simoni
won the Giro twice.

May 1, 2009
Visit site
desperate move to get a spot in the giro.

even though he's the national champ, i think that doesn't guaranty him/his team a spot in the grand tour especially they're just a continental team.

hhmmm....maybe the cycling big bully is behind this?? :D simeoni can't get any offer from a protour team + he can't ride the giro because the big bully is there.... someone is going to start this sooner or later, so maybe it's better for me to start it :D

* there you go, bartonhall says it all - all F Simeoni is known for is his history with LA, besides this, I can't recall him scoring any great result other than this 08 national champ jersey. so what makes him think he & his team deserve a spot in the giro???

So, if an amateur rider on an amateur team happens to win the italian championships then they should also get an automatic spot in the giro? Of course not...Get a grip Simeoni and ride for a better team if you want to ride the Giro so much...

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Too bad Lance's buddy cant get in.... Me thinks the Giro organizers want to make this trip as comfortable as possible for the Lancer, no extra pressures or worries.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
I have to admit - I can't imagine the French keeping their National Champ out by not picking his team in a wildcard. Although I'm sure it happens in other countries, for example the Australian National Champ didn't race in the Tour Down Under.

Argon Man said:
IMO Ceramica should be in and Diquigiovanni should be out after the olympic positive with Rebellin

Except, at the time, he was another Gerolsteiner rider.;)

I cannot remember the last time that either the Italian or French national champ was excluded from his home race.

Also, the actually have a contender for the GC top 10 classment, in Gianpaolo Caruso.

They qualify in every respect, including UCI wildcard status because their bio passports are in order.

What message is sent, when someone who is so outspoken on PED's gets excluded and Ricco's old boys get a last minute invite?

As for confusing Simeoni and Simoni...well......:eek:

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
He's just throwing all his cards on the table in a desperate bid to get into the Giro. For the Italians that's the ultimate goal and I'm sure he feels he's got some leverage as the National Champion being excluded. It's working too as it's high drama so the media will run with the story. Doubt his team gets in though as the organizer will just look even worse with a last minute change.

It's not Gilberto Simoni it's filipo simeoni he's the guy that lance kept on chasing down at the tour so he couldn't get in a breakaway

Firstly I think Flaminia are a poor team but to select a Spanish team like Xacebo-Galicia ahead of a similar Italian team with the Italian champion is a little strange.

The Giro organisers also left out a few Protour French teams for poor performances in previous years but Bbox Telecom are still there and they havent been any better than the other French teams in the Giro.

I also remember Gianni Savio defending the selection of his team over a team that had a few doping cases a few seasons ago. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot, I dont see Savio giving up his place at the Giro. No chance.

As for those who claim Simeoni is only famous becuase of the Lance incident, that is mostly true but remember it was Lance through his actions that created the story, not the other way round. All Simeoni did was testify against Michel Ferrari in court in 2002, that had nothing to do with Lance, but by chasing down Simeoni in 2004, he created a huge story.

For me this was the incident that put me firmly in the anti-Lance camp, before that incident, I was still sitting on the wall on Lance. All Simeoni did was confirm what most of us had believed since Ferrari arrived on the scene so I still dont see any justification why Lance chased him down.

Five years on, poor Simeoni is still paying for an incident that was not of his own making.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
he is just right. the giro is his national tour. im sure his sponsors costed his and his team contract on the media exposure of the national tour.

the giro is as hard (harder?) than the TDF and a more beautiful event without the hype but all the passion of the high alp finishes.

doping should have the bans passed on to the team officials. you cant do it alone.

bikepure.org

Firstly I think Flaminia are a poor team but to select a Spanish team like Xacebo-Galicia ahead of a similar Italian team with the Italian champion is a little strange.

The Giro organisers also left out a few Protour French teams for poor performances in previous years but Bbox Telecom are still there and they havent been any better than the other French teams in the Giro.

I also remember Gianni Savio defending the selection of his team over a team that had a few doping cases a few seasons ago. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot, I dont see Savio giving up his place at the Giro. No chance.

As for those who claim Simeoni is only famous becuase of the Lance incident, that is mostly true but remember it was Lance through his actions that created the story, not the other way round. All Simeoni did was testify against Michel Ferrari in court in 2002, that had nothing to do with Lance, but by chasing down Simeoni in 2004, he created a huge story.

For me this was the incident that put me firmly in the anti-Lance camp, before that incident, I was still sitting on the wall on Lance. All Simeoni did was confirm what most of us had believed since Ferrari arrived on the scene so I still dont see any justification why Lance chased him down.

Five years on, poor Simeoni is still paying for an incident that was not of his own making.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Forget about Simeoni! Let's talk Lance! I notice that he is being counted out by a lot of pundits for the Giro, but do not forget that it is a three-week race. Lance gets better when the rest of the field usually gets weaker. He may look regular on the first week of the race but if he finds his form halfway, watchout! After the stage 12 time trial, we will know if LANCE IS BACK!

TRENDING THREADS