• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

What's up with Simeoni ?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Slo Mo said:
Forget about Simeoni! Let's talk Lance! I notice that he is being counted out by a lot of pundits for the Giro, but do not forget that it is a three-week race. Lance gets better when the rest of the field usually gets weaker. He may look regular on the first week of the race but if he finds his form halfway, watchout! After the stage 12 time trial, we will know if LANCE IS BACK!

It's getting hard to figure out which posts are serious and which are trolls.

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Simeoni is being a drama queen. After the 2004 incident he described himself as a cycling 'nobody' who was just trying to do his best.

I think he is just frustrated and fed up with the moral corruption in cycling.

CF are not a weak team.
Besides the Italian champion, they have someone who can live in the high mountains with the best.
As a young rider, at the 2006 Giro
12 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Liberty Seguros-Würth Team
Just over a week ago at Trentino:-
6 Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Serramenti PVC Diquigiovanni 1.14
7 Giampaolo Caruso (Ita) Ceramica Flaminia 1.18
8 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes - 1.49

Xacebo-Galicia were given a berth on the strength of Ezequiel Mosquera's Vuelta performance and he is now out, injured.
You want a weak team? look no further.
I hope this is a case of: "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."
Maybe CF will get a Vuelta invite.
Otherwise, the RCS have made a major mistake.

Slo Mo said:
Forget about Simeoni! Let's talk Lance! I notice that he is being counted out by a lot of pundits for the Giro, but do not forget that it is a three-week race. Lance gets better when the rest of the field usually gets weaker. He may look regular on the first week of the race but if he finds his form halfway, watchout! After the stage 12 time trial, we will know if LANCE IS BACK!

I think I'm going to be sick!:p

Considering how the Giro organizers decided at the last minute to allow Astana in at the expense of a previously invited Pro Continental team, one would have to question their reasoning. If any team was to be excluded it should be Fuji. Same management as last year just a different sponsor.

Also take into account that this is the 100th anniversary of the Giro. Simeoni's team is having a decent pre-Giro season so to not have the Italian National champion present, and in his place have Xacobea-Galicia without its prime climbing star is an injustice to me.

We all know the real reason Simeoni isn't there don't we Mellow Johnny?

From today's CN, Zomegnan said:

"Chances were given to Simeoni: he was invited to Tirreno-Adriatico, where he was up to 30 minutes behind and did not finish the race, while at Milano-Sanremo he had seven hours to meet Armstrong and clarify the 2004 incident. This is not the way to live together in a civilised manner."

I think that pretty much clears up the confusion as to why Simeoni's team wasn't invited.

Also, I thought Armstrong and Simeoni were all buddy-buddy a couple months back. At least, I remember reading a story or two to that effect, quoting both cyclists as being in favor of promoting their respective causes together.

Anyone else remember that?

Last rest day

Slo Mo said:

Oh yeah, Lance will find superb form on the last rest day just as he did in the 2004 Tour. Then he'll take 5 stage wins and secure a six minute win in the overall. Just wait and see!!

By the way: Isn't Zomegnan's comment about Simeoni and Lance meeting at Milano-San Remo just very strange..? Just like Lance is involved in the team selection decision.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
while at Milano-Sanremo he had seven hours to meet Armstrong and clarify the 2004 incident. This is not the way to live together in a civilised manner[/I]."

I think that pretty much clears up the confusion as to why Simeoni's team wasn't invited.

Also, I thought Armstrong and Simeoni were all buddy-buddy a couple months back. At least, I remember reading a story or two to that effect, quoting both cyclists as being in favor of promoting their respective causes together.

Anyone else remember that?
That is a hilarious. He had 7 hours of MSR to make nice with Armstrong.

Armstrong put out a press release last November saying he would be glad to put cycling issues aside and work with worthy causes. But don't think he's still not as prickly as ever. He just ****ed Cycling Weekly off because he blocked them from following his twitters. They must have written something he didn't like.

A

Anonymous

As for Simeoni... how can RCS disregard the Italian National Champ? It's not like they'd deny entry to the previous year's TdF winner!! Oh wait... :p

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Why does everything have to do with Lance?!!!

Simeoni's team is not selected because of poor results from the team and the leader; the Italian Champion. I think the guy that said it best.......does an amatuer winning the Italian Championship gurantee that team a spot in the Giro? NO!!!! Results gurantee you. If he was smarter than he would have gotten on a pro tour team in the fall after winning the championship.......why didn't that happen. Maybe its because he is high maintenance, maybe thats a thought.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
Considering how the Giro organizers decided at the last minute to allow Astana in at the expense of a previously invited Pro Continental team, one would have to question their reasoning. If any team was to be excluded it should be Fuji. Same management as last year just a different sponsor.

Also take into account that this is the 100th anniversary of the Giro. Simeoni's team is having a decent pre-Giro season so to not have the Italian National champion present, and in his place have Xacobea-Galicia without its prime climbing star is an injustice to me.

We all know the real reason Simeoni isn't there don't we Mellow Johnny?

The only answer that makes sense:(

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Firstly I think Flaminia are a poor team but to select a Spanish team like Xacebo-Galicia ahead of a similar Italian team with the Italian champion is a little strange.

The Giro organisers also left out a few Protour French teams for poor performances in previous years but Bbox Telecom are still there and they havent been any better than the other French teams in the Giro.

I also remember Gianni Savio defending the selection of his team over a team that had a few doping cases a few seasons ago. Well, now the shoe is on the other foot, I dont see Savio giving up his place at the Giro. No chance.

As for those who claim Simeoni is only famous becuase of the Lance incident, that is mostly true but remember it was Lance through his actions that created the story, not the other way round. All Simeoni did was testify against Michel Ferrari in court in 2002, that had nothing to do with Lance, but by chasing down Simeoni in 2004, he created a huge story.

For me this was the incident that put me firmly in the anti-Lance camp, before that incident, I was still sitting on the wall on Lance. All Simeoni did was confirm what most of us had believed since Ferrari arrived on the scene so I still dont see any justification why Lance chased him down.

Five years on, poor Simeoni is still paying for an incident that was not of his own making.

well actually he testified that Ferrari gave Lance EPO

Zoncolan said:
The only answer that makes sense:(

I dont think Simeoni ever testified Ferrari gave Lance EPO unless I missed something, he only spoke of his own experience with Ferrari.

On selecting teams.

What have any of the French teams done in the Giro in recent years, they usually send their inexperienced riders for the experience. Bbox Telecom are still there, Pro tour yes, but then so are Lfdjeux, Cofidis, Euskaltel. They are a waste of space at the Giro with no ambitions. At least an Italian team will try to show some ambition in their national Tour.

They invited NCG Medical last year before flicking them for Astana, anyone remember a single rider on that team, they were worse than Flaminia.

How could they exclude Astana last year, CSF Navigare this year but then include Fuji-Servetto. No logic.

Flaminia are more than just Simeoni, as mellow yellow pointed out, Caruso is going quite well and I think Enrico Rossi has won a few races this year. What results do Xacebo-Galicia have to warrant inclusion.

Simeoni might not have great form but why are they punishing an entire team? They know if Flaminia are not invited, there is no chance of Simeoni making it tot he Giro.

Apr 3, 2009
Visit site
quadsRme said:
I know he is the Italian champ, is this move, handing back the Italian Championship jersey, just a publicity stunt ?

This is not a publicity stunt, and even if it is, it's the right thing to do. How can Angelo Zomegnan still talk about that 2004 incident, and saying that Simeoni had 7 hours at San Remo to clarify the incident, doesn't Zomegnan know that he was racing San Remo and not partying, how can he suggest that he had 7 hours to meet Armstrong to clarify an incident during a race???? Tell the people the real reason why Simeoni's team was not invited.

Mellow Velo said:
CF are not a weak team.
Besides the Italian champion, they have someone who can live in the high mountains with the best.

Xacebo-Galicia were given a berth on the strength of Ezequiel Mosquera's Vuelta performance and he is now out, injured.
You want a weak team? look no further.
I hope this is a case of: "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours."
Maybe CF will get a Vuelta invite.
Otherwise, the RCS have made a major mistake.
I second this thought. The Team is not only Simeoni, but Caruso included.

What does the Milan San Remo 7 hours of reconciliation with Lance has anything to do with being snubbed of an invitation??

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Well the organizers should still invite Simeoni's team, the drama alone is enough to justify it. Imagine the loads of headlines every time he rides near Lance or walks past him on the sign ins! Then there's Xacebo-Galicia's Key rider Mosquera not going (rumored injured now), the only reason they got the invite in the first place and now he's not going, they should punt them out and invite Simeoni so they can capitalize on the media hype, it will be way out of control and definitely provide that extra hype needed to add more fans.

I say missed opportunity not inviting Simeoni.

euphrades said:
Why does everything have to do with Lance?!!!

Simeoni's team is not selected because of poor results from the team and the leader; the Italian Champion. I think the guy that said it best.......does an amatuer winning the Italian Championship gurantee that team a spot in the Giro? NO!!!! Results gurantee you. If he was smarter than he would have gotten on a pro tour team in the fall after winning the championship.......why didn't that happen. Maybe its because he is high maintenance, maybe thats a thought.

So, what results has Lance had this season, that merits his inclusion?:rolleyes:

This has everything to do with Lance. Just read the CN reports.
Your logic appears to be malfunctioning.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
Simeoni has a right to be there. I think the Italian National Champion merits an invite to the 100th anniversary Giro by default. Then Simeoni would have three weeks and not just seven hours to settle his problems with Armstrong.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
So, what results has Lance had this season, that merits his inclusion?:rolleyes:

This has everything to do with Lance. Just read the CN reports.
Your logic appears to be malfunctioning.

Let's see, maybe Astana is in because they're one of the best teams in the world, have a rider in Leipheimer who just might challenge for the podium or the win, and have won a majority of the major stage races in the last 2 seasons. Hmmm, could that be why they're in?

colwildcat said:
Let's see, maybe Astana is in because they're one of the best teams in the world, have a rider in Leipheimer who just might challenge for the podium or the win, and have won a majority of the major stage races in the last 2 seasons. Hmmm, could that be why they're in?

Nothing to do with Astana.
Just as it has nothing to do with CF.
There are several weaker teams, with poorer results, riding.
Trying to point out to a worshipper that this is a political decision and that their argument didn't hold water.

I've already posted that CF have a strong GC rider, but, I guess, a lot of people just post through the red mist and don't digest other folks reasoning.;)

May 5, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Trying to point out to a worshipper that this is a political decision and that their argument didn't hold water.

I've already posted that CF have a strong GC rider, but, I guess, a lot of people just post through the red mist and don't digest other folks reasoning.;)

I'm with you. Personally, doesn't bother me, I think Simeoni is a little b#@$ based on a lot of his actions. And, I'm not a Lance "worshipper". Most of all, he has no chance to do anything at the race, so I don't see it as that much of a loss.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:

I think he is being overly dramatic if he wanted to protest RCS don't ride in any of their races, so what if he's the Italian Champion last year the reigning tour de france winner couldn't race in the tour that was bull****, although galicia is a horrible team now if mosquera was riding he was a potential top 10 rider. Let's just all realise how petty we all are because if lance wasn't riding the giro this would get about 6-9 replies tops but the drama has come into play as LA runs the giro not RCS, give me a break. by the way I think velo news was a bit harsh on CF" The prestigious tricolore jersey didn’t help him find a ride with a larger, better-funded team and Simeoni was forced to stay with bottom-rung Ceramica Flaminia during 2009"

colwildcat said:
I'm with you. Personally, doesn't bother me, I think Simeoni is a little b#@$ based on a lot of his actions. And, I'm not a Lance "worshipper". Most of all, he has no chance to do anything at the race, so I don't see it as that much of a loss.

Simeoni would only be in for a stage win and publicity; but CF does have a strong GC candidate in Giampalo Caruso. Here are his relevant results, as copied from Mellow Velo and seconded by Escarabajo:

Considering that this team is Italian, has the national champion, and has a young Italian rider who finished Trentino sandwiched between two former Giro winners I can only conclude that this decision is not based on merit at all.