• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Wheel suggestions

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
.... If you want to hang a couple G's worth of modern grouppo on a older frame, better to start with a frame that will accept it in the first place.

Exactly right. Cold setting sort of works. Sort of. Leave it as-is and go retro.

As for some of the frightening comments about old parts, they are far simpler than modern equipment. I find less maintenance issues as a result.

DirtyWorks said:
That might not work out. In order to accommodate 10 gears, frames subtly changed. My best, wild guess is a 9 speed would work flawlessly.

I second the vote for going with downtube shifters.

Easy to do, 126 to 130mm with a steel frame. Done it dozens of times with great success...secure BB shell inna vice, gently spread the triangle out 2mm each side, realign the dropouts.....easy. Steel is a wonderful material.

It's a no-no for 120 to 130..ask for a crimped tube or a busted brake bridge.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
A note on spreading the rear triangle: It's a solution, but not the best. Steel is a memory material, a 4mm spread is always going to want to come back to it's original state. The only real way to make a 130 from a 126 is to heat up the joints and re-set, this also requires a re-paint, ends up costing more than if he went through the hassle of reselling it and getting a 130 frame to start with. If you want to hang a couple G's worth of modern grouppo on a older frame, better to start with a frame that will accept it in the first place. :cool:

I'm sure you're right there. My commuter was built for a 7-speed hub, but I'm using a 9-speed in there and it is a (minor) nuisance. I just force the dropouts apart enough to wedge the wheel in and it works well enough. I never had the frame 'spread' professionally, and had assumed that this would sort the problem out without resorting to heating and re-setting the joints.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
dsut4392 said:
I'm sure you're right there. My commuter was built for a 7-speed hub, but I'm using a 9-speed in there and it is a (minor) nuisance. I just force the dropouts apart enough to wedge the wheel in and it works well enough. I never had the frame 'spread' professionally, and had assumed that this would sort the problem out without resorting to heating and re-setting the joints.

It can be done, just like many have said here, but I'm in the "no" camp. Not a fan of cold setting rear triangles. Some are good at it most suck at it.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
It can be done, just like many have said here, but I'm in the "no" camp. Not a fan of cold setting rear triangles. Some are good at it most suck at it.

Sorry, RDV, but I'm in the yes camp. Resetting the rear end is not a major ordeal when going from 126 to 130. The only tricky part is ensuring that the dropout faces are parallel, which is why I mentioned getting someone qualified to do it .I've done it lots, and will happily and correctly do it if you come to New Zealand!

It's steel.

And downtube shifters are archaic. Cool for L'eroica, but otherwise senseless, especially given the lengths the OP was willing to go to get the bike running.

Gag! DT shifters! Suppose you Luddites run pre-Tullio wing nuts, too.

TexPat said:
Sorry, RDV, but I'm in the yes camp. Resetting the rear end is not a major ordeal when going from 126 to 130. The only tricky part is ensuring that the dropout faces are parallel, which is why I mentioned getting someone qualified to do it .I've done it lots, and will happily and correctly do it if you come to New Zealand!

It's steel.

And downtube shifters are archaic. Cool for L'eroica, but otherwise senseless, especially given the lengths the OP was willing to go to get the bike running.

Gag! DT shifters! Suppose you Luddites run pre-Tullio wing nuts, too.

Nope but I haven't adjusted my rear derailleur for 16 years.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
TexPat said:
Sorry, RDV, but I'm in the yes camp. Resetting the rear end is not a major ordeal when going from 126 to 130. .

I'm against it because of the last shop I was in was commonly referred to as the shop that fixed stuff that the other shops screwed up, big one was frame realignment. You know most shops out there can't even build a proper wheel, a bike shop for crying out loud! :eek::rolleyes: The only way I would recommend through an internet forum to do this rear triangle spread is to go to a local frame builder, not a shop, unless it was somebody local to the OP that came recommended.

RDV4ROUBAIX said:
I'm against it because of the last shop I was in was commonly referred to as the shop that fixed stuff that the other shops screwed up, big one was frame realignment. You know most shops out there can't even build a proper wheel, a bike shop for crying out loud! :eek::rolleyes: The only way I would recommend through an internet forum to do this rear triangle spread is to go to a local frame builder, not a shop, unless it was somebody local to the OP that came recommended.

Here we are in 1989. I suppose you're going to tell me we didn't know what we were doing. :D

original.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
marathon marke said:
Here we are in 1989. I suppose you're going to tell me we didn't know what we were doing. :D

original.jpg

That is one kick-ass mullet! Well played sir :D

My 80's experimentation with the "business up front-party in the rear" Hairstyle of Hairstyles did not turn out so well...

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Great photo!

Somebody should start a 'shop photos' thread, the shear volume of funny shop moments captured on film has got to be immense.

Man, how likely is it that the seat tube is gonna have a nice dent from that board? Some of the steel frames have such thin metal.

Or is this a gag photo? Surely, no one would do that.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
richwagmn said:
Man, how likely is it that the seat tube is gonna have a nice dent from that board? Some of the steel frames have such thin metal.

Or is this a gag photo? Surely, no one would do that.

Yep, one of the most memorable ultra thin walled tubes that you absolutely did not want to mess with was Reynolds 753. You could basically blow on it and it would dent, but man, did it ever ride like a dream. Had a Cali made Masi 3v, one of my favorite bikes I've owned ride quality wise.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
The H Plus Son TB14 is the rim that I'm most impressed with right now. Basically a hybrid of a Ambrosio Nemesis and Excellece, but 23mm wide, so a modern classic.

You carrying those, RDV? I don't think they have too many NAmerican dealers. I've only seen them online, they look like a great all-round option.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
pedaling squares said:
You carrying those, RDV? I don't think they have too many NAmerican dealers. I've only seen them online, they look like a great all-round option.

Yeah, the ultimate box section rim. I actually proposed this to Ambrosio and they shot my design down, 2 months later H Plus Son releases it. I will order a small batch pretty soon. They aren't cheap either, H Plus Son is very boutique.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Yeah, the ultimate box section rim. I actually proposed this to Ambrosio and they shot my design down, 2 months later H Plus Son releases it. I will order a small batch pretty soon. They aren't cheap either, H Plus Son is very boutique.

Man, I like the look of those. Built up with some DA 7900s, or better yet a blacked out hub, spoke, nipple and rim combo. They´d ride sweet on our roads here...

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Cool. Love that production video on their site. Maybe send me a PM when you get them in? Better yet get some skimlinks here directing traffic your way! :D

TRENDING THREADS