• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When did you know?

When did you know that Tadej Pogacar would be the greatest rider of a generation? For me, it was stage 5 of the 2021 Tirreno-Adriatico, the hilly stage where he went solo from the favourites group and almost caught MVDP. That day, I became convinced that he would be a multi-monument and GT winner, capable of winning almost any type of WT race. I have won lots of money on him since then, particularly when people were still underrating him in one-day races.

When did you know?

When did you know, amidst the race's fervent throng,
That Pogačar would emerge, resolute and strong?
Was it in the hills, where dreams begin to soar,
On that fateful day, at Tirreno-Adriatico's core?

Stage 5, a tale etched in cycling lore,
Where Pogačar's prowess left fans wanting more.
From the favorites' group, he boldly broke free,
Chasing MVDP with relentless decree.

His solo surge, a symphony of might,
Almost catching the Dutchman in his sight.
A whisper in the wind, a prophecy untold,
Foretelling greatness in the stories yet unfold.

In that moment, a vision crystal clear,
Of a rider destined to conquer,
without fear.Multi-monument triumphs, Grand Tour acclaim,
His destiny written in cycling's illustrious name.

Underrated, perhaps, by those unaware,
Yet you saw the brilliance, the aura rare.
With each pedal stroke, your faith did bloom,
As Pogačar carved his path through cycling's gloom.

Oh, when did you know, with certainty and grace,
That Pogačar would rise to cycling's highest place?
In the echoes of that stage, your belief did grow,
A testament to greatness, in the cycling flow.

Last edited:
181025845-d085e2d9-6bde-4223-8118-1180563b0957.jpg

Oh you mean a rider that hasn't won the biggest race in the world the last 2 years in a row ?

Pog is very dominant in the Giro and is riding high with confidence but look at the competition., not too bad riders but totally deflated. Its getting to the point that they have lost all their confidence and we know how important that is in cycling

Pog who is great seems so great because the way the race is ridden and the morale of the competition

But if the other 3 were here and fit would be a different story..esp a fit Vinge

Just the usual subscribers on here getting carried away ..wait till the opposition is not over 35 or riding their first GT

I despair of the rubbish some write on this forum ...getting totally carried away at idolising some riders or lambasting others and all based on one race

Having said all that Pog is a super talent but he is not the only one in town I figure

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq and Froome
Oh you mean a rider that hasn't won the biggest race in the world the last 2 years in a row ?

Pog is very dominant in the Giro and is riding high with confidence but look at the competition., not too bad riders but totally deflated. Its getting to the point that they have lost all their confidence and we know how important that is in cycling

Pog who is great seems so great because the way the race is ridden and the morale of the competition

But if the other 3 were here and fit would be a different story..esp a fit Vinge

Just the usual subscribers on here getting carried away ..wait till the opposition is not over 35 or riding their first GT

I despair of the rubbish some write on this forum ...getting totally carried away at idolising some riders or lambasting others and all based on one race

Having said all that Pog is a super talent but he is not the only one in town I figure
He's the second-best GT rider in the world, the best 1-week rider and the joint-best 1-day rider. I don't think he has to win another TDF to be considered in a class of his own

He does though
I enjoy the depth of your analysis ;)

Seriously though, just as I think MVDP is at a level now that we will talk about for decades as we do with peak Gilbert and Cancellara, I think Pogacar is the same. He has been the top-ranked rider in the world per PCS for the last four years; he has 75 wins, including 6 monument wins at the age of 25. I don't think he needs the best 30 min w/kg in July to be the best rider in the world year-round.

I enjoy the depth of your analysis;)

Seriously though, just as I think MVDP is at a level now that we will talk about for decades as we do with peak Gilbert and Cancellara, I think Pogacar is the same. He has been the top-ranked rider in the world per PCS for the last four years; he has 75 wins, including 6 monument wins at the age of 25. I don't think he needs the best 30 min w/kg in July to be the best rider in the world year-round.
Oh you mean in a class of his own in the current cycling environment. Sure he's in a class of his own, just like Vingegaard is that as the best GT rider. Not sure if Pogacar is the best 1-week stage racer either, we haven't seen him compete against Vingegaard this year who was flying before his crash.

Swap their team in '22 and Pog takes 2+ minutes in the cobles' stage, and loses much less on the Granon and Hautacam. Ah and he also would take some seconds on Calais' stage by following WVA.

Vingegaard was the best climber in '22 and '23.
But TDF is not all about 10km+ climbs.