• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When/If Armstrong attacks

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
Will Caisse d'Epargne chase him down for Contador? I think yes.....of course this would mean that Armstrong would have to attack, given that he barely cracked the top 10 in the TT the only attacking he may do is off the back.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
I just think he rode that TT too conservatively, he has already stated before the tour started that the third week is where it's at, and I'm pretty certain is form will peaking at that time, don't get me wrong I think Contador is in very good shape, but I wouldn't put my house on him winning at this point. It's too close to call.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Armstrong attack? the Geriatric has no acceleration......he wont be attacking, just relying on his domestiques or a GC contender to throw out a tow rope.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
180mmCrank said:
We have an Armstrong and a Contador thread - can we post in those? It just the forum becomes overwhelmed with Astana, Armstrong stuff

Cheers

You are dreaming if you think that every topic related to Lance will go in one thread.

Besides, this post it regarding the question if Caisse d'Epargne will work for Contador. Most covering the Tour think yes.

Eva Maria said:
You are dreaming if you think that every topic related to Lance will go in one thread.

Besides, this post it regarding the question if Caisse d'Epargne will work for Contador. Most covering the Tour think yes.

The title of the thread is 'When/If Armstrong attacks' - call me old fashioned but I would say that would quite happily sit in a thread about Lance Armstrong. And if you really want to discuss Caisse d'Epargne and Contador then that might well fit in the existing discussion(s) about Contador - of which there are a few.

But hey this is up to you - if you think it deserves it's own thread go for it.

In the words of an 80's icon "Live a little, rent a hareem, meet bo derek and beat up Tarzan" - or each to his own :)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:

This "Lance thread" is a ploy by the higher ups to manipulate and control the forum. They have their reasons and they aren't necessarily in the best interest of democracy. But hey, look around, "it's" everywhere you look...beyond the cycling world. So, get used to it. In the mean time, speak your truth...it's the only thing real.

May 13, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
This "Lance thread" is a ploy by the higher ups to manipulate and control the forum. They have their reasons and they aren't necessarily in the best interest of democracy. But hey, look around, "it's" everywhere you look...beyond the cycling world. So, get used to it. In the mean time, speak your truth...it's the only thing real.

This 'living on the edge' thing, what exactly do you mean by that?

Cobblestones said:

Problem with living on the edge is sometimes you fall off!

Used to know a guy called Man on The Edge - he did fall off - shame he was a god - sadly missed by all.

Personally I prefer living in the fast lane - although sometimes I find it hard to keep up :rolleyes:

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Will Caisse d'Epargne chase him down for Contador? I think yes.....of course this would mean that Armstrong would have to attack, given that he barely cracked the top 10 in the TT the only attacking he may do is off the back.

Ouch!...There will be some very interesting alliances forming over the next week in order to overcome the Astana juggernaut. Silence and Saxo will not just sit back and allow Astana to run away with this tour. While AC and LA are busy watching each other, I'm looking for some real fireworks from A. Schleck.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
...good point...actually he's supposed to have already folded like a lawn chair yet there he sits, just two seconds back of Contador...

Cobblestones said:
Sanity....and the wrong edge, at that.

armstrong said:
noob question. why would Caisse work for Contador?

Because, Caisse is probably where he'll be heading. Besides, he effectively won the Dauphine Libere for Valverde, by working as his super domesique on every mountain stage.
Were it not for his work, Evans would have won.
Favours then, for favours later.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
the main question is can Lance actually attack. From watching Lance and AC I think the one who is likely to attack will be AC and I just don't think LA can live with that any more at his age. If it was just LA at Astana I think the team could wear down the other teams and he could end up top of GC but with AC there I can't see that happening

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It's fairly simple really.

Contador has Lance over a barrel.

If Lance "attacks" he won't make any ground, and Sastre, Evans. Schleck and whoever else is up there in the lead group will follow easily. Once they catch him (probably almost immediately) Contador will counter, gain time, and it will be seen as a smart and conventional tactic.

If Contador attacks first (or counters a move by a non Astana GC rider) and gets some immediate ground Evans, Sastre, Schleck etc might hesitate and look to each other. Contador could quickly open up some distance.

Lance will be in trouble because there's only one thing worse than chasing down a teammate and that's trying to chase down a teammate and failing.

Imagine the media reports if that happens! He is then forced to choose between losing the tour and being able to claim he is a team player, or losing the tour and looking like an ar*e.

Mellow Velo said:
Lance will attack Contador, repeatedly..........On the team bus......in his hotel room....... through his tame branch of the media....... just not on the bike.

Has been since the start of the Tour and I expect him to kick it up a notch over the next couple of days as we approach the Alps.

TRENDING THREADS