• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

When the Pros' Legs go bang!

We've all seen the domestiques working hard on the front and then all of a sudden, the "legs go bang" the commentators make note of it, and the rider is quickly going to an almost stand still.

What is the sensation they are feeling ?

Are they cramping up ?

However, I never see them holding their legs ?

I know before my legs go bang, I always have that "cramping" issue and have to try to massage them out.

masking_agent said:
We've all seen the domestiques working hard on the front and then all of a sudden, the "legs go bang" the commentators make note of it, and the rider is quickly going to an almost stand still.

Are they cramping up ?

I know before my legs go bang, I always have that "cramping" issue and have to try to massage them out.

Reasons for fatigue are still highly debated in the literature with various proposals at the neural, cardiovascular and peripheral level. Suspect a combination of all three. Unlikely to be cramp at a Pro level considering the volume of training performed, the intensity of the racing and the support and monitoring of the athlete.

I'm obviously no where near pro and I do get cramps a lot when I blow up, but occasionally it's literally just a complete loss of power. I end up completely unable to turn anything other than the smallest gear and even a tiny drag I never would have noticed 10 minutes earlier feels like the 19th hair-pin on Alpe d'Huez.

I wonder if it's similar?

I imagine that they've just reached the end of their ability to continue at that level of exertion. Likely through experience they've learned to shut it down before they completely blow up and are still able to make it in without having to walk their bike up the mountain and across the finish line. That is the extreme end of it but I doubt that cramping is the usual cause for their sudden drop in tempo. They've done their assigned job for their leader and they relinquish the responsibility to who is next in line on the team, if there is a "next guy or girl".

masking_agent said:

Are they cramping up ?

When I've reached this point in races, it's just a total loss of power. I end up spinning whatever feels comfortable and recovering, then making my way to the finish however I can.

TRENDING THREADS