• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where do they hide the needle marks?

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Simple question. If people are injecting on a regular basis, as with EPO and microdoping, how the hell do they hide the needle marks from the testers? This may have been answered before, but hey, I'm a newbie!

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
tattoos are reported to help disguise needle marks....

other areas are best left to the imagination i imagine..:rolleyes:

Why when I can say it out loud. For those who don't know it is possible to ingest drugs through the anus : -
Plugging, or rectal ingestion, relies on the many veins in the anal passage passing the drug into the blood stream quite rapidly. Some users find that trading off some of the 'rush' for fewer health risks is a good compromise. Shafting usually involves about 1.5 ml of fluid mixed with the drug
-wikipedia

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
Sorry not to provide a link, but this topic has already been covered at some length in other Clinic threads.

And, yes, tattoos were part of that discussion. I'm particulary fond of the ironic Devil tattoos that T-Mobile's former East Germans favored.

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:
Why when I can say it out loud. For those who don't know it is possible to ingest drugs through the anus : -

-wikipedia

Seem to recall in Kimmage's book the use of caffeine suppositories....

There are loads of places to have an IV that are out of site. The arm is used out of its high level of convenience when it comes to healthcare and testing, but that does not mean it is the only place. Loads of veins to pick from that are hidden from view :D

I have seen tattoos and 'rear entry' :)eek:) noted, although there are lots of pros who do not have tattoos, and the latter is not going to be great for blood or EPO microdosing (which is via IV).

May 26, 2010
Visit site
online-rider said:

my tongue was firmly in my cheek with the second comment, but yours might be in another with that thought :rolleyes:

Well, when you consider these facts:

Doctors: In a study conducted by Cicala (2003) 8% to 12% of physicians were estimated to develop a substance use problem. Emergency medicine, not surprisingly, and anesthesiology, are usually the highest-risk specialties among doctors. Utilization of opiates and benzodiazepines are danger signs of potential substance abuse among doctors.

Substance Abuse Among Healthcare Professionals

A recent study examined the risk of anesthesiologists being exposed to low levels of drugs through patients exhaling them or through the skin. While more studies are being done on this subject, it could be said that just the constant presence of the substances near a person could easily drive them to try it. Many anesthesiologists who are addicts started using drugs when they were under the stress of their residency training period and were not experienced enough with their profession to say “no” to the temptation to try a drug. It’s easy to become addicted to such powerful drugs, and it often doesn’t work to “just try it once”.

Even though the statistics are low- as few as 2% of anesthesiologist residents abuse substances- the drugs that they do use are usually some of the most powerful intravenous drugs around.

Drug Abuse among Doctors

It is pretty obvious that if ER doctors and anesthesiologists can hide the evidence and effects of drug use , even while working in an environment entirely populated by people trained to recognize points of injection or at the very least very familiar with the signs, then it's pretty easy to hide it from the casual observer.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Black-Balled said:
WHatever did happen to that guy? Seems to have disappeared since the late 90s.

Somebody shoulda told him about microdosing...;)

(quote was in reference to the devil)

he's still around. you can see him regualrly at the big races. he paints his pitchfork onto the road so you know he's coming up

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
samerics said:
Simple question. If people are injecting on a regular basis, as with EPO and microdoping, how the hell do they hide the needle marks from the testers? This may have been answered before, but hey, I'm a newbie!

Under their Livestrong wrist bands ??? :)

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
This topic reminded me of something:

"Home is where i live inside my white powder dreams
Home was once an empty vacuum that's filled now with my silent screams
Home is where the needle marks
Try to heal my broken heart
And it might not be such a bad idea if i never, if i never went home again..."
Gil Scott-Heron

Dec 4, 2009
Visit site
With all the testing going on who the hell is going to be able to tell one puncture from another? Ever look at all the veins that stand out on any endurance athlete?

Someone being tested all the time might be smart enough to use the same site that the tester pulled a sample from earlier.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought about this a while ago, and I think that pros get enough "legal" injections that a few needle marks wouldn't be enough to raise suspicion. They get IV vitamin supplements after every stage, they get blood tested by their team to measure hematocrit and stuff, they get saline drips, etc. I think they can do all of this legally, so there would be no way to tell if the needle mark was a result of doping anyway.

A friend was at the start village the other day and was listening in as a former French pro and now TV commentator was talking to a currently well placed rider. The former pro pointed to some marks on the neck of the current pro and asked what they were from. The current pro replied that that's where they do the injections now.

Of course this won't make it into the former pro's TV commentary.

sonofjive said:
I thought about this a while ago, and I think that pros get enough "legal" injections that a few needle marks wouldn't be enough to raise suspicion. They get IV vitamin supplements after every stage, they get blood tested by their team to measure hematocrit and stuff, they get saline drips, etc. I think they can do all of this legally, so there would be no way to tell if the needle mark was a result of doping anyway.
I though IV was banned as a mothod of administration, be it vitamins or otherwise?

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
online-rider said:

-wikipedia

I doubt the riders are doing this. Druggies do this because (some think) it increases the affects as opposed to taking orally. But the bio-availability is still very poor compared to IV. Unlikely that riders would waste expensive drugs by shoving them up their a##'s.

I agree with whoever said that the needle marks would hardly be relevant given they have needles shoved in them for all sorts of reasons.

TRENDING THREADS