• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Denis Menchov?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Waterloo Sunrise said:
Not as impressive today as yesterday - right at the back of the 'group' that was given the same time.

They were sufficiently strung out with small gaps that he actually came home a fair bit behind the leaders.

How is it not as impressive when he finished at the same time as the GC field? That's all that matters. This wasn't a stage he had any shot of winning.

Not as impressive would be Levi, who lost 17 seconds or Horner who pretty much eliminated any chance of GC aspirations today by losing 55 seconds.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
We get it, you have boy love for wiggins. Whoopie! :rolleyes:

---------

DT is right menchov is actually quite explosive. I wouldn't worry about this much, really this stage isn't that indicitive of what's to come.

Anyway, I never really rated Menchov on the downhills, where there are possibilities this tour.

Very intrigued to see what he does in the opening ITT.

orangerider said:
How is it not as impressive when he finished at the same time as the GC field? That's all that matters. This wasn't a stage he had any shot of winning.

Not as impressive would be Levi, who lost 17 seconds
or Horner who pretty much eliminated any chance of GC aspirations today by losing 55 seconds.

True about Levi, but Horner worked for Frank.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
You can say the same for Wiggins ;)

yes you can...and?

For any GC contender finishing in the first group and not dropping any time was the only thing that mattered today, reading anything into where they finished in that first group is just silly.

As for Menchov vs Armstrong comparison...the difference was Armstrong was overweight, or at least he looked to be all season. Hence the trade off between TT and climbing.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:

---------

DT is right menchov is actually quite explosive. I wouldn't worry about this much, really this stage isn't that indicitive of what's to come.

Anyway, I never really rated Menchov on the downhills, where there are possibilities this tour.

Very intrigued to see what he does in the opening ITT.

At least its not as bad as some of the Frandy fanboys :)

------------
Menchov in the Giro showed he can be quite explosive. He loves the Giro climbs: short and steep. His form his looking impressive!

Looking forward to seeing him match Samu.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
It is a logical argument if you just want to have a bit of fun and insult me then by all means but dont base it on a post which I was actually stating something serious.
karlboss said:
yes you can...and?

For any GC contender finishing in the first group and not dropping any time was the only thing that mattered today, reading anything into where they finished in that first group is just silly.

As for Menchov vs Armstrong comparison...the difference was Armstrong was overweight, or at least he looked to be all season. Hence the trade off between TT and climbing.

Showing how Wiggins seems to also have improved on these finishes and how he is in better form or better than Menchov as he also pulled out a similar perfomance in PN. True you cant read too much into it but generally where you finish in the group does give you some indication, especially as no one likes finishing towards or at the back where you can get caught up in crashes etc

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
The Chicken said:
Does anyone know if Denis picked up an injury today?

I am wondering why his odds are drifting with every bookmaker when he didn't lose time nor show any weakness today. :confused:

Nothing on Katusha or Denis' website.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
It is a logical argument if you just want to have a bit of fun and insult me then by all means but dont base it on a post which I was actually stating something serious.

Showing how Wiggins seems to also have improved on these finishes and how he is in better form or better than Menchov as he also pulled out a similar perfomance in PN. True you cant read too much into it but generally where you finish in the group does give you some indication, especially as no one likes finishing towards or at the back where you can get caught up in crashes etc

no, it had no relevance. Not surprised that your struggle to grasp logic with your posting history. This is a discussion about menchov, not wiggins; there are enough wiggo discussions going on, without another fanboy bringing him up here.

--

First real test on Saturday for denny, hopefully he can deliver.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
The Chicken said:
Does anyone know if Denis picked up an injury today?

I am wondering why his odds are drifting with every bookmaker when he didn't lose time nor show any weakness today. :confused:

he was in a crash today, but I don't think anything major happened to him, at least not I am aware of

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
no, it had no relevance. Not surprised that your struggle to grasp logic with your posting history. This is a discussion about menchov, not wiggins; there are enough wiggo discussions going on, without another fanboy bringing him up here.

Yep it did.. if you require me to explain it again then I will:
Basically my point was that Menchov's feat of surviving the climb was not that great as Wiggins did even better and his abilities on these climbs could be argued to be worse than Menchov's.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
let's stop bickering about these small climbs... neither lost any time, which is their goal. Nobody cares how well they do as long as they don't lose time.

Let's start arguing Menchov vs. Wiggo vs. Evans vs. any other GC guy again on saturday and after the first TT shall we? And not trying to draw conclusions from flat stages or crap small hills where nobody lost any time....

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Maaaaaaaarten said:
let's stop bickering about these small climbs... neither lost any time, which is their goal. Nobody cares how well they do as long as they don't lose time.

Let's start arguing Menchov vs. Wiggo vs. Evans vs. any other GC guy again on saturday and after the first TT shall we? And not trying to draw conclusions from flat stages or crap small hills where nobody lost any time....

Exactly right. After Saturday, and especially after Monday, we should know more.

What worries me quite a bit is that we already know Wiggins can do well also in a 3 weeks tour, as we saw in 2009. The same for Evans, who already won the hardest of all GTs.

All three, Menchov, Evans, and Wiggins might have great shape, so this should be very close after 3 weeks.

Standings after 5 days of TdF 2012
Wiggins
Menchov +6
Evans +10

The same probably on Saturday morning. All remains possible, so fingers crossed for Denis.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Froome19 said:
Yep it did.. if you require me to explain it again then I will:
Basically my point was that Menchov's feat of surviving the climb was not that great as Wiggins did even better and his abilities on these climbs could be argued to be worse than Menchov's.

*facepalm*
My point is, a wiggins comparison is not necessary. Unlike blind wiggins fanboys as yourself not everyone looks at wiggins as a benchmark for everything cycling related. Point is that Menchov in the past loses stupid time on stupid stages like this (I understand you don't know this, as it clear you didnt watch cycling prior to 12 months ago), regardless of any of his competitors (and this may shock you pal, but that includes wiggo). So him just being close to the yellow at this point is a plus; it has NOTHING to do with others. Do you understand this concept? No one here asked for a wiggo comparison, but we can always count on you to bring him up at any point.

now go away child.

TRENDING THREADS