• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is Michael Rasmussen these days?

Where is Michael Rasmussen these days?

I bet he is probably still really fast.

Hasn't his suspension expired?

Plus, he was never proven to have really done anything wrong. He was another victim of the UCI and WADA vampires and their witch hunt.

He really got a raw deal. Alberto Contador inherited his tour win.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
SlantParallelogram said:
He was another victim of the UCI and WADA vampires and their witch hunt.

Well he's currently part of a criminal investigation:

Kohl, Rasmussen under criminal investigation

Suspended cyclists Bernhard Kohl and Michael Rasmussen are under investigation by Austrian authorities for their role in buying a centrifuge for use in illegal blood transfusions. The two riders and an Olympic gold medal skier face up to five years imprisonment if the charges are proven.

In early April, Kohl admitted to having received illegal blood transfusions at the home of his then-manager Stefan Matschiner, who also managed Rasmussen. Kohl's attorney said Matschiner bought the equipment, but that Kohl and other athletes paid for it, with the Austrian cyclist apparently contributing 20,000 euros.

Christian Hoffman allegedly aided the two cyclists in the purchase. In an ironic twist, Hoffman was awarded the gold medal in the 30km freestyle cross-country ski race at the 2002 Olympics in Salt Lake City after original winner Johann Mühlegg was disqualified for blood doping.

Prosecutors in Vienna are investigating whether the three athletes received money from other athletes for the use of the centrifuge. This would make the three subject to charges of being accessories to illegal doping, which is a criminal act in Austria.

"We are investiating everyone who was involved in the purchase of this machine and so could come into question as an accomplice to blood doping," Gerhard Jarosch, spokesman for the Viennese prosecutor, told the APA news agency.

"Bernhard had surely not taken any money," said Kohl's attorney Wolfgang Ainedter. Hoffman vehemently denied any knowledge of any form of doping.

Kohl is currently serving a two-year suspension for using CERA at the Tour de France last year. Rasmussen is sitting out a two-year suspension for having lied about his whereabouts leading up to the 2007 Tour de France.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Greetings from Denmark. My first post here.

Regret to inform you: We don't know about Rasmussens whereabouts. :D

There was a long interview with him in a Danish tabloid the other day. I missed this interview but noted that he has a strong desire to return as quick as possible

Yes, his two year suspension will expire by late July. After this just one formality remains: UCI has demanded that Rasmussen pay a fine of €700,000 (one year's salary). Remember that Rasmussen like other riders, prior to the 2007 TDF, signed a UCI document ('Riders' Commitment for a Clean Cycling') that he would be fined a one year salary if he received a doping related suspension.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1191279.ece

UCI demands that Rasmussen pay the fine. Otherwise his license wont be returned. UCI is supported by WADA. but a member of legal panel of CAS, Lars Halgreen, questions the legal status of the document.

http://ekstrabladet.dk/sport/cykling/article1191811.ece

The latest news is that the president of CPA, Cedric Vasseur has asked CPA's lawyers to investigate the legal status of the document with a view to possibly fight the UCI in court alongside Rasmussen.

Vasseur, who participated in the 2007 TDF as a rider, says the UCI put a gun to the head of the riders and forced them to sign the document shortly before the 1st stage. That was wrong. Even the UCI indirectly admits this as the practise wasn't repeated.

Quote from Vasseur: " I have discussed UCI's demands with Michael. I find the demands very tough. I feel sorry for Michael, especially since he was never tested positive, and I hope we can help him with a solution. I don't know yet whether we can support him actively. We have asked our lawyers to study this. If the lawyers conclude that UCI's demand are illegal, we will demand that UCI redraws the fine".

http://www.sporten.dk/cykling/tour-de-france-1-2009/ondt-af-kyllingen

P.S. as a newcomer I have a strong desire to abide by the rules of the board. Isn't this particular forum intended to be free of doping discussion? In that case, sorry for my intervention. I will accept a suspension from the forum. But please don't fine me. ;)

May 13, 2009
Visit site
CamKars said:
P.S. as a newcomer I have a strong desire to abide by the rules of the board. Isn't this particular forum intended to be free of doping discussion? In that case, sorry for my intervention. I will accept a suspension from the forum. But please don't fine me. ;)
Just send me a check corresponding to 1 year of your salary and you're fine. ;)

ON top of that, Michael really wants to play a part in Post Danmark Rundt (our national top race), but the Danish Cycling Federation (DCU) probably won't allow him to participate - they've told him it "depends if he's signing with a team that's already invited". My guess is that they, regardless of which team he signs with, will deny his participation....

I hope for Michael that he can get back to bike racing again and doesn't become another Heras/Jaksche outcast.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
CamKars said:

Welcome newcomer. Couldn't agree more, unfortunately bringing up the name M.Rasmussen will sooner or later turn in to another thread on the D word.

The latest on his current 'whereabouts' is that he was due to sign a contract with a team - however the team wanted to ensure the signing would not effect their participation on the Tour of Denmark.
As reported already on this thread the UCI are trying to hold up his return by insisting he pay the one year salary fine.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
hes one of the few riders i just dont like regardless of the charges against him. i really dislike his demeanor and vibe in general seems like a shady guy to me.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
maverick625 said:
Enjoying the weather on a beach with Floyd Landis and Tyler Hamilton

LOL, that is, doing some heavy blocks of training besides a large refrigerator on the beach. Beach boy training.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
hes one of the few riders i just dont like regardless of the charges against him. i really dislike his demeanor and vibe in general seems like a shady guy to me.

I have similar feelings, even before his 'troubles' I didn't like hearing him being interviewed, something about him just didn't gel for me.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I liked watching him race. He's the only rider who can take on Contador and beat him on the steep mountain passes. Wouldn't the tour be interesting to watch this year if he were racing?

Sheltowee said:
Yeah, I liked watching him race. He's the only rider who can take on Contador and beat him on the steep mountain passes. Wouldn't the tour be interesting to watch this year if he were racing?

Now there's a contradiction for you: I hate to see racers cheat, but I love to see cheaters race.

TRENDING THREADS