• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where is the Valverde thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
With every second thread about SKY or Froome and even a thread for Bernal (?) it surprises me that the most obvious candidate for doping Mr 38 Valverde has no thread on here (well not in the 1st 6 pages)

Seems he must a favourite of the mods ?

Why spend hours speculating about up and coming riders when a known doper is leaving youngesters for dust on climbs and out sprinting strong attacking fastmen. A man who broke his leg in July in an accident that would have put an end to the career of many ...

But hey I guess who wants to talk about the bleeding obvious ?

HelloDolly said:
With every second thread about SKY or Froome and even a thread for Bernal (?) it surprises me that the most obvious candidate for doping Mr 38 Valverde has no thread on here (well not in the 1st 6 pages)

Why spend hours speculating about up and coming riders when a known doper is leaving youngesters for dust on climbs and out sprinting strong attacking fastmen. A man who broke his leg in July in an accident that would have put an end to the career of many ...

Maybe look again

HelloDolly said:

There's a thread called "Official Valverde Thread". It's on the front page with its last contribution less than eight hours ago

Having said all that it only has on 29 pages in four years

HelloDolly said:

The mods? What the...

Parker said:
There's a thread called "Official Valverde Thread". It's on the front page with its last contribution less than eight hours ago

Agreement doesn't produce a lot of back-and-forth. We all know he's a doper, we just don't have a crowd dedicated to the constant denial of that rather obvious fact.

red_flanders said:
Agreement doesn't produce a lot of back-and-forth. We all know he's a doper, we just don't have a crowd dedicated to the constant denial of that rather obvious fact.
We all know he was a doper. In an era when lots of people were dopers. But is he still a doper? His ban finished in 2012. What since then?

Personally I don't know. On one hand he's not displayed contrition or even acknowledged any wrong doing, so has he given up? On the other hand there's a real possibility that he is the greatest talent of his generation (as he was viewed before turning pro). I tend towards the latter as the Valverde that won at Corcheval in 2005 I've not seen again.

To have a good, long, bitter clinic doping thread, you need fanboys protesting the innocence of whomever the thread is named after.

This is what produces a dialectic.

There is a marked absence of this with respect to Valverde. Hence, only 29 pages.

Re:

The Hegelian said:
To have a good, long, bitter clinic doping thread, you need fanboys protesting the innocence of whomever the thread is named after.

There is a marked absence of this with respect to Valverde. Hence, only 29 pages.
But surely the Clinic are crusaders against all doping. Posters here repeatedly state that they want their sport to be clean

Your post suggests that they are just fighting 'fanboys'. Are you saying that teams other than Sky could be doping? This is a very troubling development.

Parker said:
red_flanders said:
We all know he was a doper. In an era when lots of people were dopers. But is he still a doper? His ban finished in 2012. What since then?

Personally I don't know. On one hand he's not displayed contrition or even acknowledged any wrong doing, so has he given up? On the other hand there's a real possibility that he is the greatest talent of his generation (as he was viewed before turning pro). I tend towards the latter as the Valverde that won at Corcheval in 2005 I've not seen again.

Well I could get into all of that but the point is that the bulk of people on the forum think he's a doper and he has few if any defenders. As such, shorter threads.

Maybe go to the Valverde thread and try the "I don't know" tactic. Maybe you'll get another couple pages going.

HelloDolly said:

Lol that mod that you're talking about is one of the newer mods here. Even if he had tried to fight the creation of a Valverde clinic thread he couldn't have because it was made 4 years ago.

Re: Re:

Parker said:
The Hegelian said:

But surely the Clinic are crusaders against all doping. Posters here repeatedly state that they want their sport to be clean

Your post suggests that they are just fighting 'fanboys'. Are you saying that teams other than Sky could be doping? This is a very troubling development.

You say 'fighting fanboys.' I would put it as 'responding to idiocy.'

You're looking to expose that it's some kind of innate injustice that posters get more pissed at Froome than Valverde. It's not the High Court. Don't expect the clinic to be some place of pure equality and Platonic justice.

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
red_flanders said:
HelloDolly said:

The mods? What the...

Parker said:

+1

Glad someone started this. Valverde is the chosen one. Gets way too little derision for my money. Treated like a god in the front stories of CN. Gets threads started in his name as if he is the second coming "he's coming home" :confused: Please. But he isn't even an exciting rider or at least not since 2007 that I have noticed. Just has the unique combination of being able to climb, TT and sprint ..... and still be über strong at 38 years of age it seems.

Courageous? Nope. For someone with such obvious talent tactically he seems a bit timid and lacking courage. Many seem to mistake his strength and ability to sprint and win stages as excitement. I don't. I suppose this might be because he has a strong finish why bust your guts before the sprint. Too bad he doesn't inspire me and the fact he avoided sanction for Puerto for as long as he did probably got up my nose the most.

I guess father time will soon catch up with him "help" or not. God forbid he is another Horner I just wouldn't cope :cry:

The thread is right there, it's regularly posted in, there just aren't many people claiming he's clean or even speculating over his doping. It seems pretty much accepted in the clinic. If anyone wants posts from this thread moved across please let me know.

Cheers,

KB.

Status
Not open for further replies.