• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Where would you like to see Contador go?

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Where would you like to see Alberto Contador go?

• Quick Step

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
python said:
on contador - did anyone notice that contador admitted dela fuente was hired by astana on his insistence. does it mean the silence is pregnant ?

what do you mean.
Can you give me a link ?, thanks
Cuz I never heard it was on his insistence.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
DavidVilla7 said:
what do you mean.
Can you give me a link ?, thanks
Cuz I never heard it was on his insistence.
you said you live in spain right. your spanish should be better than mine - i used google still the meaning seems straightforward.
http://www.as.com/ciclismo/articulo...-correr-equipo/dasclm/20091024dasdaicic_1/Tes

¿El fichaje de De la Fuente nos da un pista de que podría continuar con los kazajos?

Es cierto que a los técnicos les pedí que contrataran a David. También se ha firmado a Stangelj y a Tiralongo, otros dos ciclistas que me echarán una mano si sigo en Astaná.

A

Anonymous

Astana?

The time of year makes it a tough choice. Caisse d'Epargne would be a strong team & he'd be comfortable, but the delayed Valverde situation probably complicates negotiations. They've got cool uniforms, & ride the new Pinarello Dogma. There are guys who would give everything they have to help Alberto win the Tour.

I like the Quick Step offer of bringing four or five riders along, plus Boonen said he'd be welcome & the manager hasn't been afraid to show his interest. I don't know how happy he'd be. But he'd definitely be the team leader for the Tour.

It would be great for him to receive the benefits of Garmin's technology, Allen Lim's recovery ideas, etc. I just read that Contador is friends with CVV. But it would be tough to walk in as a new team leader, especially if Wiggins wouldn't move on to Sky. Other guys have earned the right to lead in various races.

With the little information available about transfers, I'm going to pick Astana. Noval re-upped out of loyalty. De la Fuente was apparently Alberto's choice. It's tough to abandon guys who signed on to ride with you. There's no competition for leadership. Since there are four teams with riders who can get out of their contracts, Astana could get out the check book & hire a couple of strong riders that weren't available before. There's no Team Time Trial at the Tour, so four or five good climbers should be enough. If he leaves, it would be good to go to Quick Step & take some of the Astana friends along.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
as i said b4, I’d like to see berto where he feels most comfortable and welcome. It’d be fair and proper. he deserves it after the backstabbing he got from bruyneel.

but reading between the lines - i mean that astana signed up de la fuente and others as his personal choices - i’m afraid he’s staying with astana.

had that team been more transparent I’d say ‘good on you alberto’ but they are run by a flaky acting head of kcf (proskurin) and the french gm was hired just as a figure head. i’m afraid they have all the good intentions but lack the much needed professionalism and are too close to the political agenda and the whim of their government.

i’d bet my farm that vino and berto will get along just fine. moreover, despite vino’s huge personal ambitions and ego he is berto’s best ally at astana. but vino can’t control all shady money flows and is disliked by the uci.

that last thing to me is a big risk b/s the uci under maquaid has gained a lot of power lately and proved it will use it unceremoniously when wheeling and dealing with other feds and aso.

my benefit /risk analysis says berto should be careful signing with astana even if for a year.

honestly it’s a mind change from what i expressed only several days ago.:eek:

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
I think the best thing for AC and the UCI is for him to be on a team where he's comfortable. I don't see that being the case, even at the 'new Astana', ditto for Garmin.

After the year he's had I think it makes sense for him to go for the safety blanket option of Caisse.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
python said:
i’d bet my farm that vino and berto will get along just fine. moreover, despite vino’s huge personal ambitions and ego he is berto’s best ally at astana. but vino can’t control all shady money flows and is disliked by the uci.

that last thing to me is a big risk b/s the uci under maquaid has gained a lot of power lately and proved it will use it unceremoniously when wheeling and dealing with other feds and aso.

+1 to this part. I would like to see AC and his hand-picked loyal lieutenants stay at Astana and work well with Vino. But that's a sentimental pick because I like Vino so much, and would like to see Team Astana made into a solid group with a future. I feel like Johan just used them for the PT license, and didn't really do a lot to develop Kaz cycling. (Which may not be entirely his fault. Maybe they need a stronger national figure like Vino to make that happen.)

Looking at it logically though, AC should probably go to Caisse and take as many of his guys with him as he can.

And you're right to worry about the UCI. McQuaid doesn't insprie a lot of confidence in me that he will run the sport fairly. And I say this as the UCI's Hamburger University or Management Academy, or whatever the heck it's called, starts up next week.

ok, is there going to be an analysis of the opportunity costs of staying put or going to x, y or z teams?

Can he wait until Astana gets an invite to the tdf to make his move? Do the organizers have any reason as of 1:44 pm today to want him to NOT be there? I don't generally trouble myself with all this soap opera crud, but time and options are starting to dwindle.

I have concerns about mgmnt stability and professionalism at Astana. More than who the riders actually are.

Reading the new article on the front page, I get the feeling that Astana is getting desperate. It doesn't indicate that AC has decided to stay with Astana, but Astana is attempting to unilaterally declare that he is staying or that he can't go anywhere. I'm guessing the meeting with Fran didn't go so well.

The funny thing is Proskurin admits that they didn't submit all of their documents and therefore didn't comply with the new regulation. Seems pretty cut and dry at this point. AC has the right to terminate. Whether or not he exercises that right is up to him--not Astana.

Frankly there is too much drama with Astana's leadership/management for my taste. If I were advising AC, I would suggest he move on to a more stable environment.

A

Anonymous

Publicus said:
......AC has the right to terminate. Whether or not he exercises that right is up to him--not Astana.

Frankly there is too much drama with Astana's leadership/management for my taste. If I were advising AC, I would suggest he move on to a more stable environment.

Yeh this is getting annoying, I hope he just signs with Caisse already, but sadly, I suspect not. It will make the tour interesting for him to stay on Astana however, especially if Vino tags along

That said, If I was Alberto, I would make like a hockey player and get the puck outta there

In my own personal ideal world, a Spanish champion like Contador should be riding for a Spanish team, preferrably a strong one like Caisse D'Epargne. I'd imagine he would be happier there, the national pride thing would weigh heavy as would the motivation to seriously consider doing the Vuelta at least every other year, alternating with the years he does the Giro (I can dream if I want to!:D).