Where's Tony Rominger

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
Big Doopie said:
that stage made me taste vomit in my mouth.

huge mig dropping light little epo-ridden climbers. and climbing (nay sprinting!) all the way up often with his hands low on his handlebars. completely ridiculous.

indurain is an utter fraud.

and then LeBlanc who had just gone through two awful seasons (lost over 50 mins in one stage in 1992 mountains and cried about it -- clearly not on epo when at castorama) and now with festina simply flying up mountains. fraud.

and then you have to listen to the two fraud promoters, phil & paul, coming up with all kinds of excuses to explain the complete fraud the fans are watching and they are selling...

go and watch any of the mountain stages before 1991 and it's night and day.
what a load of **** did you think indurain was epoing in 1990? he was the best climber there as well and in 1 week race sin 80s too. he was just brought carefully into the gt's. indurain was a superhuman talent the likes of only pantani and ullrich
 
Mar 31, 2010
18,137
1
0
blackcat said:
lifetime bans is the worst policy and most unjust.

So Ricco goes, whilst riders like Frank and Andy and Armstrong ride their entire careers with the saucepan outta their @rse.

lifebans only work if
1. there is universality in its implementation
1(b) this presuposes, that tests are 100% accurate for EVERY dope transgression, EVERY transgression, every act of doping.

And we know that is IMPOSSIBLE.

Lifetime bans just entrenches injustice.
exaclty. not to mention every human being deserves a 2nd chance, unless total psychopath perhaps. or else new people will keep making the same mistakes and the world will never evolve
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
blackcat said:
lifetime bans is the worst policy and most unjust.

So Ricco goes, whilst riders like Frank and Andy and Armstrong ride their entire careers with the saucepan outta their @rse.

lifebans only work if
1. there is universality in its implementation
1(b) this presuposes, that tests are 100% accurate for EVERY dope transgression, EVERY transgression, every act of doping.

And we know that is IMPOSSIBLE.

Lifetime bans just entrenches injustice.
I see your point and it's also something that I thought about.

Unfortunately, like also in real life often the case, it is almost impossible to make something that is 100% fair in 100% of the cases.

In this case, I think the bigger noble cause justifies the risk of a low sample of unavoidable collateral damage - bad luck.

But in reality, to be honest, I think all these former generations of dirty riders that are still heavily involved and have a powerful say in the sport won't never allow it and not even consider it. So a nice forum discussion, but that's it! :)

Btw, just as the thread is about Rominger, as probably most of you have seen, Cadel confirmed today that it was Rominger who sent him to Ferrari for a test day in the Engadine valley with Ferrari back in 2000.
 
Mar 13, 2009
16,856
0
0
la.margna said:
I see your point and it's also something that I thought about.

Unfortunately, like also in real life often the case, it is almost impossible to make something that is 100% fair in 100% of the cases.

In this case, I think the bigger noble cause justifies the risk of a low sample of unavoidable collateral damage - bad luck.

But in reality, to be honest, I think all these former generations of dirty riders that are still heavily involved and have a powerful say in the sport won't never allow it and not even consider it. So a nice forum discussion, but that's it! :)

Btw, just as the thread is about Rominger, as probably most of you have seen, Cadel confirmed today that it was Rominger who sent him to Ferrari for a test day in the Engadine valley with Ferrari back in 2000.

a repost, cos this may have indeed gone down like that. But the truth is the entire story, if my understanding was/is correct. Which it may not be. I dont doubt that Rominger needed to know the physiology numbers from the Cannondale mtb team rider. Before or after he won the Weissbauer Rund in 2001.

my post, for the III time
my mail on this was a reference to Rene's (Cyclingheroes is Rene Schuijlenburg) interview at a Telekom training camp, circa 2003, so this was not whilst he was still riding for the Cannondale mtb team, and signing with Rominger, then being flipped to Mapei. It was not a published interview.

I dont think we have the whole story from Evans. He is front running to control the message. Move along

Evans and his meeting with Ferrari?
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral...ari-says-evans

Anthony Tan, you banned me from twitter when I called you out on wilful ignorance of doping. And you are now jumping on a bandwagon, like Klaus Muller. What a joke.

Linda Pierce the cycling beat journo fom The Age (before Sam Lane, talking 2003ish-2010ish) knew of Evans and Ferrari link. CyclingHeroes the dutch journo, had the words from Evans at a Telekom training camp. Anthony Tan is about 10 years late. And you would never have had the integrity to go with it. What is Rob Arnold saying

AusCyclingFan94 ball is in your court.

someone ask Thomas Frei off the record
http://www.thomas-frei.ch
twitter @thomasfrei
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20121028_00350932

"]The Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that details will soon come to an investigation by the Prosecutor of Padua to ex-pro Tony Rominger (photo). The management company of the Swiss would have helped flows that the illegal practice of Dr. Michele Ferrari made ​​possible, according to the USADA report one of the key figures in the doping case involving Lance Armstrong.

Rominger was formerly manager include Kessler, Sinkewitz, Klöden, Vinokourov and Cadel Evans. The latter admitted that Rominger brought him in contact with Ferrari, but the Australian says not to have made use of his illegal services."




http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20121028_00350932
 
Baroh1488 said:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20121028_00350932

"]The Italian sports daily La Gazzetta dello Sport reports that details will soon come to an investigation by the Prosecutor of Padua to ex-pro Tony Rominger (photo). The management company of the Swiss would have helped flows that the illegal practice of Dr. Michele Ferrari made ​​possible, according to the USADA report one of the key figures in the doping case involving Lance Armstrong.

Rominger was formerly manager include Kessler, Sinkewitz, Klöden, Vinokourov and Cadel Evans. The latter admitted that Rominger brought him in contact with Ferrari, but the Australian says not to have made use of his illegal services."




http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld/cnt/DMF20121028_00350932
Well well well, this will be interesting... I just hope the results of this investigation come out while everything else is swirling - the aftermath of the USADA case, the pressure on the UCI. It could be useful for those actually wishing to change cycling for the better to use as some leverage.
 
He might as well admit it at this point. I mean, he rode during the height of EPO, when no one survived without it, and all top riders were doped to the gills to one degree or another. No one in their right mind would think he was clean.

Having said that, savvy rider. I liked the way he pushed Mig in 1993. Great duel. For what it was anyway.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
There's no point admitting for any 90s rider. It's obvious for everybody with a brain what went on in those years. Hard to imagine what they could achieve now if a Bugno, Rominger, Indurain, Chiappucci, Furlan, Argentin or any of those confess now. Makes no sense. Particularly, we have seen Indu's stubborn pathetic relation to doping in his LA comments. To be honest, I also do not see what 90s confession would add positive to cycling of today.

But what I care and what I want is that these guys are removed from today's cycling network. That's exactly the problem. Cycling is full of all those *******s. Rominger as manager sent his clients to Fuentes and Ferrari. He does not learn from his own mistakes. He just wants to keep the dirty system running and cash in. To be honest, if the UCI calls a certain area a dark area, then remove all those riders from that dark area from any position in today's cycling world!
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
la.margna said:
There's no point admitting for any 90s rider. It's obvious for everybody with a brain what went on in those years. Hard to imagine what they could achieve now if a Bugno, Rominger, Indurain, Chiappucci, Furlan, Argentin or any of those confess now. Makes no sense. Particularly, we have seen Indu's stubborn pathetic relation to doping in his LA comments. To be honest, I also do not see what 90s confession would add positive to cycling of today.

But what I care and what I want is that these guys are removed from today's cycling network. That's exactly the problem. Cycling is full of all those *******s. Rominger as manager sent his clients to Fuentes and Ferrari. He does not learn from his own mistakes. He just wants to keep the dirty system running and cash in. To be honest, if the UCI calls a certain area a dark area, then remove all those riders from that dark area from any position in today's cycling world!
Not so fast. It's amazing what being cured from a hayfever can do for you. Michele Ferrari can do alot of things for you. Some people need EPO, some need blood-doping. Others need orange juice (but not too much - it could kill you) and others need to get rid of that damned hayfever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zjjFHRnHg&list=FLWl6_vwpkI15ocfSH7Ze43g&index=4&feature=plpp_video (Around 6:00 )


http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/416844/the-dirty-manager-tony-rominger

(La.margna are you the one with the Cancellara videos?)
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
Baroh1488 said:
Not so fast. It's amazing what being cured from a hayfever can do for you. Michele Ferrari can do alot of things for you. Some people need EPO, some need blood-doping. Others need orange juice (but not too much - it could kill you) and others need to get rid of that damned hayfever.
I can't see any news in this post. It's been an open secret that he was a Ferrari client for years. Even he confirmed it. They even called him Ketchup Tony. But maybe I don't comprehend what you wanna say with this.

Baroh1488 said:
There's no doubt, since he is in the background, he has become a disgusting person with regard to clean cycling and protecting riders from dopers, as I wrote above, guys like Rominger must be removed from cycling. Managers who send their riders to dope doctors have "no place in cycling" to use the words of Pat.

Baroh1488 said:
(La.margna are you the one with the Cancellara videos?)
yep that's me. Fäbu is my last illusion or Fata Morgana of a clean athlete ;)
[talking 2012, definitely not 2004 or 06]

manafana said:
One things for sure coming clean is what cycling needs if its in the open it can be forgiven.

Rominger wouldnt want his titles tainted now would he.
What's disgusting is that these guys of the 90s EPO era do never learn. never. They do not even have a bad conscious. On the other hand, do they seriously think that anybody who has followed cycling more closely than mainstream masses do not have the slightest doubt that there was no clean Grand Tour podest in the 90s? Who knows. Maybe they really think we are so stupid.
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
la.margna said:
I can't see any news in this post. It's been an open secret that he was a Ferrari client for years. Even he confirmed it. They even called him Ketchup Tony. But maybe I don't comprehend what you wanna say with this.
My point is: He told an obvious lie then (hayfever), he's probably telling lies now, when he denies being part of a moneylaundring scheme connected to doping.

It's really sad because I liked him as a rider. I remember the danish commentators called him "the little squirrel with the danish knees", because his mother was danish... sad
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
Baroh1488 said:
My point is: He told an obvious lie then (hayfever), he's probably telling lies now, when he denies being part of a moneylaundring scheme connected to doping.
Hayfever is not a lie. He suffered tremendously from hayfever. He didn't lie re doping, he just always said he never tested positive, which is true, but obviously just legally, because it's obvious that this means "yes, I doped but was never caught". And of course, he is part of the omertà crew and EPO generation. Where he was lying all the time is when asked regarding the Operacion Puerto, where it was obvious that he connected and sent riders to Fuentes. Disgusting. So disappointing. As you say below, really sad, as I liked him also a lot as rider, although already then being aware that he is on F's ketchup program. I also remember that he gave quite often interviews in danish and at least one of it is still on youtube, as you write :)

Baroh1488 said:
It's really sad because I liked him as a rider. I remember the danish commentators called him "the little squirrel with the danish knees", because his mother was danish... sad
Yes, again, it's really sad that he has joined the cycling's crook network. Fully agree with you. Although finally he seems to slowly realise he ****ed up. At least - maybe it's also only a PR manouvre - yesterday night on Swiss TV, Rominger and his doping connections were a topic. He declined to appear in the show, but he let them know that now in hindsight he realises and recognises that the cooperation with Michele Ferrari was a mistake. Whatever that means. But the state prosecutor of the canton Neuchatel also said, that currently, there is no active investigation into Rominger or his companies. But that does not suggest that there might not be any going further. So far, only the Italians (Padova) are investigating and he provided them only with info. But whatever the outcome of the IT investigation will be, this might cause also a Swiss investigation...

We'll see... I'm slowly getting fed up with all that dope **** and particularly those deniers who can't make the step. I mean Rominger really has nothing to lose. But perhaps he spent too much time riding for Spanish teams ;)
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
la.margna said:
I also remember that he gave quite often interviews in danish and at least one of it is still on youtube, as you write :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OCcUkWw2s&playnext=1&list=PLD557F0F84E13D6C6&feature=results_video

**** it. I like the guy. He is even born in the same town that I grew up in. I will have to look at him the same way I look at Eddie Murphy... there is the comedic genius who made "Delirious" and "Raw"... and then there is the imposter who says he is Eddie Murphy today... the real Eddie Murphy was kidnapped around 1988 by the same people who kidnapped the real Tony Rominger 7 years later.
 
Jun 20, 2009
654
0
0
Baroh1488 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7OCcUkWw2s&playnext=1&list=PLD557F0F84E13D6C6&feature=results_video

**** it. I like the guy. He is even born in the same town that I grew up in. I will have to look at him the same way I look at Eddie Murphy... there is the comedic genius who made "Delirious" and "Raw"... and then there is the imposter who says he is Eddie Murphy today... the real Eddie Murphy was kidnapped around 1988 by the same people who kidnapped the real Tony Rominger 7 years later.
Yeah, it sucks. He was my favorite rider in the mid 90s too. Used to love the way he took it up to the competition. He really put himself in the hurt locker.

I had the chance to ride with Tony for a day in 1993 or thereabouts and he was a really humble, articulate, intelligent guy. It's a damn shame, but as Brad McGee recently said, everyone had a choice.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
We could start a club of cycling fans of fallen idols :D

indeed and again, very sad. as mentioned, used to be a rather humble and modest guy as rider back then.
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
la.margna said:
We could start a club of cycling fans of fallen idols :D

indeed and again, very sad. as mentioned, used to be a rather humble and modest guy as rider back then.
Just found out Romingers mother still lives in my hometown in Denmark... she is an avid bridge player :-D. These people are real human beings with family. Rominger might have been involved in some shady business, but there is no reason to judge him too hard... as far as I know he is not a megalomanic ******* like Armstrong.
 
Jun 20, 2009
654
0
0
Baroh1488 said:
Just found out Romingers mother still lives in my hometown in Denmark... she is an avid bridge player :-D. These people are real human beings with family. Rominger might have been involved in some shady business, but there is no reason to judge him too hard... as far as I know he is not a megalomanic ******* like Armstrong.
No-one comes close to Armstrong for megalomania ;)

From the rumours I'm hearing, Padua is going to be bigger than Puerto. Not just Italians either, plenty of big name Stranieri beyond the already publicized Russians. Watch this space.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
Baroh1488 said:
Just found out Romingers mother still lives in my hometown in Denmark... she is an avid bridge player :-D. These people are real human beings with family. Rominger might have been involved in some shady business, but there is no reason to judge him too hard... as far as I know he is not a megalomanic ******* like Armstrong.
No one can beat LA, maybe just a handful of mean dictators. :D

laziali said:
No-one comes close to Armstrong for megalomania ;)

From the rumours I'm hearing, Padua is going to be bigger than Puerto. Not just Italians either, plenty of big name Stranieri beyond the already publicized Russians. Watch this space.
Can't wait for the **** to hit the fan. Let's hope the clean out continues and the momentum for a change for the better remains. Although, how many times have we dreamed about a new clean area? But then again, according to numerous stats and indications and also riders, it definitely seems that pro cycling has become substantially cleaner during the last three to four years and cannot be compared to the dark era anymore...

Sorry for hijacking... back to Rominger... I wish he would publicly confess that he ****ed up during his time as manager and has learned and want now to become a positive force for clean cycling and protecting young athletes. I keep on dreaming... ;)
 
Sep 29, 2012
12,197
0
0
la.margna said:
Can't wait for the **** to hit the fan. Let's hope the clean out continues and the momentum for a change for the better remains. Although, how many times have we dreamed about a new clean area?

But then again, according to numerous stats and indications and also riders, it definitely seems that pro cycling has become substantially cleaner during the last three to four years and cannot be compared to the dark era anymore...
Not sure if what you have written above is tongue in cheek, but the last three to four years may look cleaner, but this investigation into paying Ferrari for services (and I am not ever going to believe people pay that much for coaching alone, sorry Mick) started 2 years ago.

The investigations by the prosecutor from Padova, which began in 2010 ...
Unless people like Schwazer are doing EPO off their own initiative and Ferrari is completely innocent...

... and should be completed by the end of the month, are in danger of becoming a tsunami as riders and top athletes, such as the Olympic race walker Alex Schwazer (who tested positived for EPO) and other athletes from the biathlon and triathlon, all used to visit Ferrari at a flat he rented in Saint Moritz or even in a camper he would park by the toll-gate for the motorway at Rioveggio.
The current era is cleaner like the peloton was "cleaner" after 1997's 50% Hct rule was introduced.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
@Wiggo: "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean", so still need for dope doctors for all those who want to go to the limit.

Wiggo: The current era is cleaner like the peloton was "cleaner" after 1997's 50% Hct rule was introduced.
With regard to the recent years, look at the various scientific studies that look at blood passport data and also W/kg figures. Cycling is substantially cleaner, that's a fact. But again "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean".
 
May 26, 2010
28,144
2
0
la.margna said:
@Wiggo: "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean", so still need for dope doctors for all those who want to go to the limit.

With regard to the recent years, look at the various scientific studies that look at blood passport data and also W/kg figures. Cycling is substantially cleaner, that's a fact. But again "cleaner" doesn't mean "clean".
The teams all have their own doctors (OPQS have 5), epo is an old drug now and plenty have had time to study its optimum application.

The reason the riders dont so race so much anymore is they are training more with dope.

Used to be that racing would get riders up to speed. Now it is training with dope that gets riders up to speed.
 
May 5, 2009
696
1
0
@Wiggo & @Benotti69
I will stop discussing whether pro cycling is substantially cleaner now than four years or more ago, because:

1) it's a Rominger thread and not a thread regarding this particular topic (current cleanliness compared to darker periods)

2) it's a fact, evidenced by various statistic measures

3) 2 is further corrobated by personal discussions I had with riders who have always told me what's really going on

:)
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY