• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which one is the best race: Tirreno-Adriatico or Paris Nice?

Which one is the best race?

• Paris-Nice

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 2, 2011
Visit site
Considering the level of participants from the past two years, I think Tirreno-Adriatico has really become the best of the two.
What's your opinion?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
lukinox said:
Thanks Fetisoff for trying to veer my first ever thread off topic.
(I agree with you that the Giro is great, by the way)

Nah, I was just trying for you to insert a poll into this thread, which I see you've now done.

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Honestly i don't like both, that's why i would prefer the race with harder climbs. A couple of years ago PN included stump of Mont Ventoux. As I see, Tirreno has only Monte Lupone, right?

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Dazed and Confused said:
After stage 2 of P-N, I think the Frogs will hold the upper hand this year.

That's the one reason I haven't voted in the poll yet. I mean last year T-A was obviously a better race, this year's parcours looks great, especially stage 4, however after today's P-N stage, I might have even voted for it. So I will wait to vote instead.

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
Honestly i don't like both, that's why i would prefer the race with harder climbs. A couple of years ago PN included stump of Mont Ventoux. As I see, Tirreno has only Monte Lupone, right?

Is there any one-week race you like then?

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
This year, on paper (read, the route) Tirreno is the better race, imo. But P-N just started and the stage which was bound to be the dullest turned out to be pretty cool, so hard to know. And participation wise there's not much difference, so I won't vote just yet.

If we're talking about prestige, P-N > T-A, in my opinion.

airstream said:
Passo Lanciano is no joke actually. Saying that TA has only Montelupone is a bit of disrespect. The focus on short and steep climb of TA is a recent thing anyway, and it's not by any means a rule; for istance it included Monte Bondone once (many years ago)

Havetts said:
With poop parcourses like this and last year's P-N, Tirreno by far.
This. Paris-Nice had been in a run of great races, then 2011 killed all the momentum it had with a godawful parcours.
airstream said:
No Montelupone this year. But there are some really nasty rises into Chieti, Macerata etc. that they can - and do - include, not just Montelupone (though I admit that is the greatest of them). Lots of short, steep ramps in Tirreno. Lots of them.
Dazed and Confused said:
After stage 2 of P-N, I think the Frogs will hold the upper hand this year.
Not so fast though; last year, the early stages of Paris-Nice were good too, with Voeckler and de Gendt going haywire. Then the "hilly" stages disappointed and the TT settled everything.
Cogombre said:
This year, on paper (read, the route) Tirreno is the better race, imo. But P-N just started and the stage which was bound to be the dullest turned out to be pretty cool, so hard to know. And participation wise there's not much difference, so I won't vote just yet.

If we're talking about prestige, P-N > T-A, in my opinion.
Prestige-wise, I'd agree. But at the moment, Paris-Nice has lost its momentum for putting on good races after last year's snoozer, while Tirreno-Adriatico is in a strong run; the days of Cancellara and Freire's GC wins are forgotten, and the last 3 editions have been mighty entertaining.

Not so fast though; last year, the early stages of Paris-Nice were good too, with Voeckler and de Gendt going haywire. Then the "hilly" stages disappointed and the TT settled everything.

right, but the race today completely open up business. Very different from last year. Of course things could turn out to be a controlled event from now on. Hoping Valverde/Movistar will keep the pressure on and that other "losers" will do something in the next few stages.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
P-N from an armchair viewers perspective purely because of the quality of TV coverage.

Italian stuff is always shaky and grainy and never in HD.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
airstream said:
no, but i have a slight indulgence to dauphine. or rather, i dont like them very much.

Suprised you dont like ATOC a bit.
After this year I doubt you will like the dauphine much any more.;)

I have found that it varies from year to year, as Libertine was saying. On the balance of all time history, if I had to choose one it'd be Paris-Nice. If you're talking about, say, the last 2 years or last year, I'd say T-A. If you're taking about this year's parcours, I like both to a certain degree but I think I like P-N better.

TRENDING THREADS