• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which Rider made you LOL the most this season?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which rider made you LOL the most this year?

• They were all great, can't decide.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Sir Bradley "Leighton Baines is my mini-me" Wiggins

Lance "Just one big lie" Armstrong

Chris "Pedaller of Charm" Froome

Chris "Duelling Banjos" Horner

Mauro "Does my face look phat in this" Santambrogio

Danilo "Just one more for the road" Di Luca

And the winner is....who gives a pharque

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
RedheadDane said:
And now for something completely different:

Peter-Sagan-008.jpg

:p

Admitted: I don't remember if that's what made me LOL the most... I just wanted to post something that didn't hint at doping. :D
And get in before the close.

Not too different but definitely a lot of LOL's on this one, everyone in the picture except Fabian was laughing, yes even the pinched Podium Girl if you saw what happened right after that.

Anyone ever watch that WATTs section on Eurosport, a kind of different look at funny sporting moments.

They showed Froome doing his amazing sitting down attacks whilst dubbing over it with the 'Speedy Gonzalez' soundtrack. ****ed myself laughing at that. Its bad when even the biggest cycling channel makes fun of you.

pmcg76 said:
Anyone ever watch that WATTs section on Eurosport, a kind of different look at funny sporting moments.

They showed Froome doing his amazing sitting down attacks whilst dubbing over it with the 'Speedy Gonzalez' soundtrack. ****ed myself laughing at that. Its bad when even the biggest cycling channel makes fun of you.

Maybe they should have used the Benny Hill song.

Love the choices, and the additional suggestions.

Went with Froome because this year was even more ridiculous than last year. Yes, you had to expect that unleashed from having to drag Wiggins around he would dominate the Tour. But dominate like that, and then drop so precipitously that it was even stranger than holding a peak for a full year? What a joke.

Horner could earn my vote next year with an encore performance of his own. A pretty high standard has been set for him, though.

However, from the 'he who laughs last, laughs best' department:

The (wishes he were active) rider that made me laugh the most was Armstrong.

His appearance on Oprah, watching him admit old lies with new lies and seeing how it all backfired on him made me laugh the most.

But I am saving my best belly laugh for McQuaid should he lose the upcoming UCI election.

Dave.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
the line between laughing and crying is thin though.

edit: my vote goes to horner.
love how he puts "marginal gains" and "biggest budget" type of explanations into the proper perspective.

I was going to get angry about Horner...then after a minute or two realised it isn't worth it.

I went back to watching F1 last weekend. Monza...was great I must say. Even Vettel and Hamilton don't annoy me anymore. Positive is Ferrari got Kimi back so win win IMO. Lots of viewing fun now! :)

Cycling? Well I like that the worlds is in Firenza. I like what Zomegnan has done with the parcours. So Nibali will have another laugh. I also liked the way he refused to lay down and just roll over for Horner.

However, I don't take the same approach the Americans are doing, even though they are mostly doing it to rub into the faces of the Sky fans who SUDDENLY are offended. Both men named Chris have done something ghastly and damaging to cycling. JV might have been right, cycling had a chance, but I can't help but feel it's been taken to a new low. The fans and media are partly to blame with their fawning over a 'new clean era.'

Cycling gets what it deserves and the fans, certain groups, want nothing more than to believe their boys are legit. Chris and Chris are the absurd extension of greed and people wanting more just BECAUSE they can. Equilibrium, balance, keeping the doping to a level that isn't ridiculous, well that is now gone. Arms race is here. Well done UCI, well done McQuaid. Great legacy to be leaving cycling with...a complete mess worse than LA was.

So yes Sniper...it is at a level of crying and laughing for many. If this crap doesn't get better next year, well I won't watch GT's. I'll just watch smaller races or something else; like F1.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I was going to get angry about Horner...then after a minute or two realised it isn't worth it.

I went back to watching F1 last weekend. Monza...was great I must say. Even Vettel and Hamilton don't annoy me anymore. Positive is Ferrari got Kimi back so win win IMO. Lots of viewing fun now! :)

Cycling? Well I like that the worlds is in Firenza. I like what Zomegnan has done with the parcours. So Nibali will have another laugh. I also liked the way he refused to lay down and just roll over for Horner.

However, I don't take the same approach the Americans are doing, even though they are mostly doing it to rub into the faces of the Sky fans who SUDDENLY are offended. Both men named Chris have done something ghastly and damaging to cycling. JV might have been right, cycling had a chance, but I can't help but feel it's been taken to a new low. The fans and media are partly to blame with their fawning over a 'new clean era.'

Cycling gets what it deserves and the fans, certain groups, want nothing more than to believe their boys are legit. Chris and Chris are the absurd extension of greed and people wanting more just BECAUSE they can. Equilibrium, balance, keeping the doping to a level that isn't ridiculous, well that is now gone. Arms race is here. Well done UCI, well done McQuaid. Great legacy to be leaving cycling with...a complete mess worse than LA was.

So yes Sniper...it is at a level of crying and laughing for many. If this crap doesn't get better next year, well I won't watch GT's. I'll just watch smaller races or something else; like F1.

I can't blame you for your disappointement as a fan, but what makes you think that Nibali, Valverde, Purito et al weren't doped? Why is it unique to Chris and Chris?

Glorious year for some good laughs:

- as a single moment, the perfect-bike-throw of our beloved Knight steals the prize!

- for the fallout of a single moment, the infinite forum discussions about Sagan's pinch :D amazing

- as a series of moments in a single day, the total fail of Vomistar at Le Tour when they completely lost the GC hopes of both Piti and Rui Costa :D epic fail there

- as a frequent thing, Froomey-dog continuosly speaking at the radio while nodding with his head...man that was ridiculous :D

- as the total utter joke of the year, Papy Horner, aged 42, wins the Vuelta 2013 and from Papy Horner becomes Pope Horner, just because he knows his way about miracles...so ridiculous it's completely over the top, better than the Expendables :D

Red Rick said:
Dafuq do you mean?

Only person to beat Sky "the super dopers" procycling at their own game, twice, walked a massively difficult Giro making everyone else look like a chump and almost doubles up with a second GT at the Vuelta, only getting beaten because a fresh doper is quicker than a tired doper. Yet hardly gets a mention in here from people who claim they just want to discuss doping performances, not attack certain riders. That was funny. He'll close the show with a standing ovation if he wins the world's.

In which case you have to marvel at how ridiculous the Chris & Chris Show was that they've made people almost forget about a rider who, considered one of the most talented in Italy from youth, has been connected to Dr Ferrari along with the previously banned Pellizotti, rides for Vino and wins one GT and podiums another.

For amusement purposes, here's the CQ graph for Bradley Wiggins:

graphRiderHistory.asp

Look at the projected 2013 blue dot. Even if he wins the Worlds & Lombardia he'll only be around his 2011 level.

Or to put it another way, last year Joaquím Rodríguez was the only rider to score higher than him, and he podiumed 2 GTs, won multiple stages of both, 2 stages & 2nd GC at País Vasco and won both a monument and a classic.

This year riders stronger than Wiggins include: Kristof Vandewalle, Ivan Santaromita, Wout Poels (who's been injured), Damien Gaudin, Marcel Wyss, Francesco Bongiorno, Bob Jungels, Amets Txurruka, Ivan Rovny, Nikolas Maes, Patrik Sinkewitz, Aleksandr Dyachenko, Yannick Martinez, Radoslav Rogina, Rohan Dennis, Maxime Bouet, Jesús Herrada, Anthony Roux, Sergey Chernetskiy, Simone Ponzi, Anthony Geslin, Michael Rogers, Janier Acevedo, Brent Bookwalter, Riccardo Zoidl, Martin Elmiger, Tanel Kangert, Mikel Nieve, Daryl Impey, Kenny Dehaes, Jan Barta, Christophe Riblon, Jonathan Hivert, Jan Barta, Dani Navarro, Ion Izagirre, Tom Dumoulin, Paul Martens, Jean-Christophe Peraud, Przemyslaw Niemiec, Arthur Vichot, Bryan Coquard, Pieter Weening, Gerald Ciolek, Simon Spilak, Geraint Thomas, Mauro Santambrogio even after the Giro is taken out, Davide Rebellin and Jan Bakelants.

How many of those could you have predicted from Wiggins 2012?

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Up until the Vuelta it was going to be Crazy Cadence Chris and His Dislocated Kneecaps Show, then along came Yee-Ha Grandpa Horner and His I've Only Raced One Hour This Season Show.

Better start looking through those final year contracts for next year's Vuelta superstar.

King Boonen said:
Only person to beat Sky "the super dopers" procycling at their own game, twice, walked a massively difficult Giro making everyone else look like a chump and almost doubles up with a second GT at the Vuelta, only getting beaten because a fresh doper is quicker than a tired doper. Yet hardly gets a mention in here from people who claim they just want to discuss doping performances, not attack certain riders. That was funny. He'll close the show with a standing ovation if he wins the world's.

When did he beat Sky at their own game? He won the Tirreno in a chaotic hilly stage, he won Trentino in a pretty normal way (wiggins had mechanical) and in the Giro Wiggins sucked in every possible way and had already screwed Henau and Uran over before he quit

I'm not saying Nibali is clean, i'm just saying what he did was something that didn't really belong in this thread imo

Red Rick said:
When did he beat Sky at their own game? He won the Tirreno in a chaotic hilly stage, he won Trentino in a pretty normal way (wiggins had mechanical) and in the Giro Wiggins sucked in every possible way and had already screwed Henau and Uran over before he quit

I'm not saying Nibali is clean, i'm just saying what he did was something that didn't really belong in this thread imo

He let Sky do their thing and then blew past them when it mattered in Tirreno. The GC at the Giro was even more certain than at the Tour.

Yet he did that against a team everyone here thinks has a better program than USPS, and in races they wanted to win.

Then he almost wins the Vuelta with a series of attacks on the Angliru that I've not seen since Contador was fully-fueled.

His first year at Astana? Vino obviously couldn't help himself.

He clearly belongs in here, not least because there has hardly been a raised eyebrow about his performances.

King Boonen said:
He let Sky do their thing and then blew past them when it mattered in Tirreno. The GC at the Giro was even more certain than at the Tour.

Yet he did that against a team everyone here thinks has a better program than USPS, and in races they wanted to win.

Then he almost wins the Vuelta with a series of attacks on the Angliru that I've not seen since Contador was fully-fueled.

His first year at Astana? Vino obviously couldn't help himself.

He clearly belongs in here, not least because there has hardly been a raised eyebrow about his performances.
you might want to re-read the thread about Nibali here in the clinic.

Red Rick said:

His TT at the beloved ll Giro?

King Boonen said:
That's a joke right? You're comparing one thread and a few posts in others to the frothing at the mouth rage Chris Froome received?
If you read Nibali's thread (evidently you didn't) you would notice there's not a single user who believes he's clean.
The number of Sky's and Froome's posts are due to the fact that there are people defending them.

TRENDING THREADS