• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Which team will Bruyneel lead next year?

Which team will Bruyneel lead next year?

• Other without Contador

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
There are all kinds of indications that Bruyneel will stay with Astana.

What am I missing? I recall Vino telling the world that for Bruyneel to stay with Astana it would be 'my way or the highway.' Can't imagine that Johan likes his chances of running that team according to his vision. Bruyneel & Armstrong are like peas in a pod (or blood in a bag), they work together, they win together, they bring in mass sponsorship dollars together. I don't see either man messing with the formula.

Race Radio said:
There are NO indications.

In fact he is part owner of the RadioShack team

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bill-stapleton-and-cse-will-own-and-manage-team-radioshack

"We are going back to a similar structure under which we ran the Discovery Channel team where the license is held by an American company that is run by Bart [Knaggs] and I and Johan owns a piece of," said Stapleton.

The American Company of which he is part owner has existed for 10 years and JB has been part owner for years before Team RadioShack existed. That means nothing.

This is the key:

One critical component that has still not fallen in place is the man who guided Lance to seven Tour wins. "The hope is that Johan will be part of this team in a similar role as he has had with this team in the past, but we are still working this through that with Astana," said Stapleton.

I'm thinking if JB was definitely going, it would be a done deal by now.
But, this is all speculation. Obviously, I don't know how it's going to fall out.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
The American Company of which he is part owner has existed for 10 years and JB has been part owner for years before Team RadioShack existed. That means nothing.

It hasn't been 10 years.

Just before Discovery Channel becoming a sponsor in 2004 Thom Weisel sold the Team to Armstrong, Johan, and Stapleton. Prior to that Weisel owned and ran it through Montgomery sports/Tailwind.

The Hog has said he would "Rather die" then have Vino on the team. Vino has said "If Bruyneel does not want me it will be Bruyneel who is leaving the team"

The Borats will extract their pound of flesh, but who really believes that The hog is going to be driving the Astana car at the Tour next year?

Race Radio said:
It hasn't been 10 years.

Just before Discovery Channel becoming a sponsor in 2004 Thom Weisel sold the Team to Armstrong, Johan, and Stapleton. Prior to that Weisel owned and ran it through Montgomery sports/Tailwind.

The Hog has said he would "Rather die" then have Vino on the team. Vino has said "If Bruyneel does not want me it will be Bruyneel who is leaving the team"

The Borats will extract their pound of flesh, but who really believes that The hog is going to be driving the Astana car at the Tour next year?
The company has existed for at least 10 years. JB became part owner 5 years ago, long before The Shack... My point stands - his part ownership of that company has nothing to do with this.

The quotes are old news. I'm suspicious of the lack of any new news. Seems like Vino has calmed down, talking up riding for AC, etc.

Before Lance unretired, Astana with AC was JB's plan. He wants to win the Tour again, perhaps more than working with Lance. More of a future with AC too... And Lance might be planning on making himself the DS of The Shack.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
My point stands - his part ownership of that company has nothing to do with this.

You really think the UCI would allow a person to be a DS (And Paying agent) for one team and a part owner of another?

Ninety5rpm said:
The company has existed for at least 10 years. JB became part owner 5 years ago, long before The Shack... My point stands - his part ownership of that company has nothing to do with this.

The quotes are old news. I'm suspicious of the lack of any new news. Seems like Vino has calmed down, talking up riding for AC, etc.

Before Lance unretired, Astana with AC was JB's plan. He wants to win the Tour again, perhaps more than working with Lance. More of a future with AC too... And Lance might be planning on making himself the DS of The Shack.

I suspect if JB wants out of his Astana contract all he has to do is refuse to put Vino in any races. The khazaks won't "let" him out of his contract at that point, they will pitch him out of his contract.

Hugh Januss said:
I suspect if JB wants out of his Astana contract all he has to do is refuse to put Vino in any races. The khazaks won't "let" him out of his contract at that point, they will pitch him out of his contract.

Probably. I'm just not convinced he wants out of his contract.
In some ways I think he sees AC as his baby - they've won four grand tours together. It can't be easy to walk away from that.

Ninety5rpm said:
In some ways I think he sees AC as his baby - they've won four grand tours together. It can't be easy to walk away from that.

and so the drama continues. it is fun to speculate about the behind the scenes
machinations. a lot of different and conflicting agenda's. did Bill Shakespeare
write this?:rolleyes:

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:

If he's so supportive of Contador, why did AC have to actually take the MJ (and attack Armstrong) before being given leadership? Also, Vino working for Contador, working for Bruyneel, working for Vino ( isn't it his team in a way)? That would be... interesting.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Ninety5rpm said:
... Lance might be planning on making himself the DS of The Shack.

Lance fancies himself the uber-male. He's either on the bike, or he's only making a guest appearance. He certainly has a Type AAA personality. Can you really see him driving the car and massaging egos? No way. There are millions of people to save!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ok - I just read google translation and its atrocious - a few highlights:

10 days until Vuetla and Wine is still listed as an alternate b/c JB is using situation to secure a good exit/settlement from the team.

JB's contract only says he has to contract 10 riders from KAZ, and this condition has been met.

Reason AST was not paid was b/c JB did not want Wine. Finally they paid on conditions JB & LA left team. And now both will work for Radio Shack with Levi[Note from Zoeart: umm.. this is a contradictory statement to what is in 1st paragraph of this article re: JB looking for way out]

Astana wants to see JB gone and their interntion is for Vino to be spiritual [snort] leader of team and whose destiny is to go from rider to DS. AC would rather leave to avoid clashing with Vino like he did with LA at TdF.

Then they mention this weekends press release.

TRENDING THREADS