Which was the hardest ITT in a professional race in the last 20 years?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 8, 2012
314
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
Truly epic!:eek:
I would dream that only once I can witness such a TT again!
Too bad TM won't stand a chance on it. ;)
Looks like a TT suited for guys like Contador, Froome and Wiggo.
 
I am going to cheat a little. It's not the hardest, nor is it within the last 20 years, but it's tough for a non-MTT.

Giro 1991. Broni to Casteggio. 66km, 17 of them uphill with a wall at Montalto Pavese.

Still, Chioccioli averaged nearly 42.5 km/h to win.

I am going to guess that it had somewhere like 900 vertical meters.
 
Mar 29, 2011
5,123
0
0
Mellow Velo said:
So you are now arguing for your choice for hardest ITT, by saying isn't the hardest?:rolleyes::eek:
no, the hardest for me is a tt with condensed gradient rather than ups and downs
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
I remember the Giro TT in 2009 that was 60km with lots of climbing. Big time gaps. I can't remember where it was.
 
Sep 8, 2010
1,441
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
Had you said of the last 21 years, the hardest one would have without a doubt been Argentan - Alencon 1991: 1:35 hour of real effort (winner)

Oh boys what an outrage there would be on this forum if we had TTles like this one again.
The first itt of the Tour 1987 was 82,5k long and featured smaller climbs. Just imagine this to happen today. :D And these guys at that time were lucky that Indurain was too young. He would have put a third of the peloton out of the time limit. ;)

I also really like the worlds tt of 2001 in Lisboa. A little short, but about 700m of climbing.
 
Jun 16, 2009
19,657
0
0
theyoungest said:
Taylor Phinney almost won... that wasn't a super hard course.
That WAS a reasonably tough course and I don't think people give enough credit (especially the haters of English speakers) to Phinney for how talented he is and how well he has done so far.
 
Sep 8, 2010
1,441
0
0
Yes, it was.

Copenhagen 2011 - Tony Martin 51,81 km/h
Mendrisio 2009 - Fabian Cancellara 51,58 km/h
Catania 1994 - Chris Boardman 50,83 km/h
Plouay 2000 - Serhiy Honchar 50,67 km/h
Salzburg 2006 - Fabian Cancellara 50,66 km/h
Varese 2008 - Bert Grabsch 50,41 km/h
Hasselt-Zolder 2002 - Santiago Botero 50,36 km/h
Lugano 1996 - Alex Zülle 50,26 km/h
Treviso 1999 - Jan Ullrich 50,21 km/h
Madrid 2005 - Michael Rogers 49,94 km/h
San Sebastián 1997 - Laurent Jalabert 49,14 km/h
Verona 2004 - Michael Rogers 48,78 km/h
Stuttgart 2007 - Fabian Cancellara 48,38 km/h
Valkenburg 1998 - Abraham Olano 47,86 km/h
Hamilton 2003 - Michael Rogers 47,37 km/h
Valkenburg 2012 - Tony Martin 47,27 km/h
Geelong 2010 - Fabian Cancellara 47,05 km/h
Paipa-Tunja 1995 - Miguel Indurain 46,48 km/h
Lisboa 2001 - Jan Ullrich 44,80 km/h
 
May 28, 2012
2,779
0
0
Lupetto said:
Yes, it was.

Copenhagen 2011 - Tony Martin 51,81 km/h
Mendrisio 2009 - Fabian Cancellara 51,58 km/h
Catania 1994 - Chris Boardman 50,83 km/h
Plouay 2000 - Serhiy Honchar 50,67 km/h
Salzburg 2006 - Fabian Cancellara 50,66 km/h
Varese 2008 - Bert Grabsch 50,41 km/h
Hasselt-Zolder 2002 - Santiago Botero 50,36 km/h
Lugano 1996 - Alex Zülle 50,26 km/h
Treviso 1999 - Jan Ullrich 50,21 km/h
Madrid 2005 - Michael Rogers 49,94 km/h
San Sebastián 1997 - Laurent Jalabert 49,14 km/h
Verona 2004 - Michael Rogers 48,78 km/h
Stuttgart 2007 - Fabian Cancellara 48,38 km/h
Valkenburg 1998 - Abraham Olano 47,86 km/h
Hamilton 2003 - Michael Rogers 47,37 km/h
Valkenburg 2012 - Tony Martin 47,27 km/h
Geelong 2010 - Fabian Cancellara 47,05 km/h
Paipa-Tunja 1995 - Miguel Indurain 46,48 km/h
Lisboa 2001 - Jan Ullrich 44,80 km/h
Mendrisio was a much tougher course, but the average speed's much higher than it was this year. 2009 Canc must've obliterated Martin this year.
Average speeds don't say that much about the course but more about depth of the competition.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
auscyclefan94 said:
That WAS a reasonably tough course and I don't think people give enough credit (especially the haters of English speakers) to Phinney for how talented he is and how well he has done so far.
I thought that was an amazing performance from Phinney. The guy is making huge leaps. Definitely the Cancellara of the future.

But he couldn't have done the same on the Giro 2009 TT course, for instance. That was a semi-mountain TT. That's not underestimating Phinney, it's just a matter of his physique.
 
theyoungest said:
I thought that was an amazing performance from Phinney. The guy is making huge leaps. Definitely the Cancellara of the future.

But he couldn't have done the same on the Giro 2009 TT course, for instance. That was a semi-mountain TT. That's not underestimating Phinney, it's just a matter of his physique.
Just a matter of time with Phinney!
That boy is a freak of nature! In 2-3 years he'll be unbeatable in TTes!
 
roundabout said:
I am going to cheat a little. It's not the hardest, nor is it within the last 20 years, but it's tough for a non-MTT.

Giro 1991. Broni to Casteggio. 66km, 17 of them uphill with a wall at Montalto Pavese.

Still, Chioccioli averaged nearly 42.5 km/h to win.

I am going to guess that it had somewhere like 900 vertical meters.
Simply wow.
I drove over these roads just a couple of weeks ago and thought: why isn't the Giro coming here??

:D


The wall to Montalto is very hard.
 
Jul 8, 2012
314
0
0
Bavarianrider said:
No problem, Tony might be second to Phinney in TT then, but he'll be a gC contender while Phinney won't.
There you go dreaming again. He is 27 and haven't even been close to a top 10 spot in Grand Tour yet. That says something, namely that isn't cut out for the GC.

This is Tony's time, he should continue to go all in for the TT and hopefully snatch a couple of more great wins. One should keep things in perspective: being a two time Worlds ITT winner is no small feat. And keep doing what you are great at is always a good advice.
 
Jul 8, 2012
314
0
0
The Hitch said:
Who just won the tour ?
Wiggo, but he was 4th first time he gave a Grand Tour a real shot. Tony have tried and failed miserably. In Tony's case I think he just doesn't have the body to be a GC contender, too heavy. Just like EBH never will be a GC contender, even is some have suggested he should try, also too heavy.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY