• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Vuelta a España Who’s going to win La Vuelta? Rest Day 2 Poll

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who’s going to win the Vuelta

• Total voters
I'm quite excited to see angliru Landa. I know he's not at the phenomenal level he hit in his best grand tours. The ones in 2015-17 and the 2019 and 2021 Giri. But I will never forget how ridiculously comfortable he was on mortirolo that epic stage in 2015, and also how good he has been on the absurdly steem climbs in Itzulia. I know he can't get close to win la vuelta but purely from a fanboy perspective I wait for that.
I don't know what is worse, over the top Remco fans or these types of Landa-gasams :tearsofjoy:

what-is-a-love-hate-relationship-5207379-1500x1000-Text-Final-12a1532ad2f44857943816c8bacd83f7.png

Do you remember the year where Antonio Blobloblo of Egality Moroder could have won the Volta, but his clueless DS Sabrosa didn't allow him to attack his teammate Tiago Valero on Torre, which then resulted in Tino Frego from Porto Branco just riding into the abyss and win the race by 53 seconds ahead of Blobloblo, who only got the green light to drop Valero when it was much too late? Of course that whole spectacle was only made possible, because the defending champion Vítor Baía had received a 3.5 week ban shortly before the race for having ridden on an eruptive cocktail of Diet Coke and Mentos during his Volta ao Algarve triumph back in February, but in large part also due to the fact that the organizers had designed an awful route which was way too easy for true climbers like Carlos Cardozo, Rui Rodriguez and the Chilean wonder Sergio Livingstone Vidal to have a fighting chance, but at the same time too hard for Joni Vinho of Basso Mortolo, who hadn't yet entered his peak Volta years, which wouldn't happen until his antics on the crazy Senhora da Graca stage 12 months later, where he would single handedly kill the crowd favourite Joao Almida on what would since be dubbed the day that real cycling died after the experimental East German/Swedish rock band STÄSI released their legendary 12″ single about their love-hate relationship with the race, which by the way was their last recording before vocalist Dag Tag's failed suicide attempt, during which he accidentially murdered a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker inside an abandoned church with one of Täve Schur's old spare wheels.
The Torre incident made Blobloblo severely depressed, and he never became the same rider afterwards, although he did have a short lived renaissance at Faia Futuro in the latter stages of his career, but not even their manager Alfonso Ribeiro could keep him on the right track for very long. Ribeiro was of course known for being Portuguese cycling's answer to NHL's Jack Robertson, due to their way of only communicating with their athletes via telefax. I believe Blobloblo works as a pizza delivery guy nowadays.

I've voted for Kuss.
This is genius!! Chapeau. :p

In interviews, Sepptimus indicates that Primoz and Jonas are giving him good advice and apparently genuinely interested in seeing him win. So barring a crash, Sepptimus should win his first GT.
They can all sit around their campfire, singing as many happy songs for Sepp as they like, I just don’t buy it.

A big potential problem for Sepp is he doesn’t have Week 3 Kuss riding for him... Who’s going to ride on the front on climbs to discourage attacks? Who’ll stay with him if he’s not at his best? Jonas and Primož??

Not when their own best chance of winning is following attacks and conveniently finding themselves up the road…

They can all sit around their campfire, singing as many happy songs for Sepp as they like, I just don’t buy it.

A big potential problem for Sepp is he doesn’t have Week 3 Kuss riding for him... Who’s going to ride on the front on climbs to discourage attacks? Who’ll stay with him if he’s not at his best? Jonas and Primož??

Not when their own best chance of winning is following attacks and conveniently finding themselves up the road…
I think it's likely one of them will stay with Kuss. I also think they probably have some pre-defined scenarios who that will be...

Never underestimate third week
Landa

True but some serious things would need to happen to put him in pole position

Vingegaard would need to fade
Roglic would need to drop out
Kuss would need to have a very bad day
Ayuso would need to get lost on the Angryloo

And then there is Marc Soler ..not sure what he would do but something unforeseen for sure

And then Landa himself would actually need to keep going when he attacks

But I guess all things are possible

I picked "Other" so as not to jinx my two emotional favorites, Rog and Sepp. Sorry, Remco. I picked you in the two previous polls, and look what happened. But now you (Remco) can enjoy new life as a stage grabber and KOM champ, much to the delight of fans of cycling. Stay well and race.

Kuss is the big favourite right now, also because his closest rivals are his teammates. If he doesn't have a bad day (read: his GC win is threatened by non-JV guys) then he's going to win.

While I do think JV guys won't attack each other (in the current GC situation) it's also true that if any of them cracks the other two will ride for themselves. It could get interesting if Kuss actually cracks and then there are just seconds between Rogla and Vinge! What would happen in that case? It's not a healthy 90+ seconds gap (like it's now) so it might get insteresting

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Do you remember the year where Antonio Blobloblo of Egality Moroder could have won the Volta, but his clueless DS Sabrosa didn't allow him to attack his teammate Tiago Valero on Torre, which then resulted in Tino Frego from Porto Branco just riding into the abyss and win the race by 53 seconds ahead of Blobloblo, who only got the green light to drop Valero when it was much too late? Of course that whole spectacle was only made possible, because the defending champion Vítor Baía had received a 3.5 week ban shortly before the race for having ridden on an eruptive cocktail of Diet Coke and Mentos during his Volta ao Algarve triumph back in February, but in large part also due to the fact that the organizers had designed an awful route which was way too easy for true climbers like Carlos Cardozo, Rui Rodriguez and the Chilean wonder Sergio Livingstone Vidal to have a fighting chance, but at the same time too hard for Joni Vinho of Basso Mortolo, who hadn't yet entered his peak Volta years, which wouldn't happen until his antics on the crazy Senhora da Graca stage 12 months later, where he would single handedly kill the crowd favourite Joao Almida on what would since be dubbed the day that real cycling died after the experimental East German/Swedish rock band STÄSI released their legendary 12″ single about their love-hate relationship with the race, which by the way was their last recording before vocalist Dag Tag's failed suicide attempt, during which he accidentially murdered a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker inside an abandoned church with one of Täve Schur's old spare wheels.
The Torre incident made Blobloblo severely depressed, and he never became the same rider afterwards, although he did have a short lived renaissance at Faia Futuro in the latter stages of his career, but not even their manager Alfonso Ribeiro could keep him on the right track for very long. Ribeiro was of course known for being Portuguese cycling's answer to NHL's Jack Robertson, due to their way of only communicating with their athletes via telefax. I believe Blobloblo works as a pizza delivery guy nowadays.

I've voted for Kuss.
I feel very insulted. This is a really inaccurate impersonation that I am greatly offended by. I would never, ever have posted something like this.

There's a cedilla on the C in Senhora da Graça.

When Valter, Kelderman and Gesink pull off the front who then rides for Jumbo will be interesting. I still find it very difficult to see them using either a Giro winner or a Tour winner in a superdom role to start pulling for a number of kilometres. But if they don't and they again launch a man off the front similar to the Tourmalet stage then you would think it is the turn of Roglic to be given some freedom to attack if he is feeling good. Then if Aysuo and Mas sit up and don't chase down Roglic (or Vingegaard), then he could ride off into the distance. That could upset the internal team dynamics within Jumbo but it might be something that they have to deal with.

I feel very insulted. This is a really inaccurate impersonation that I am greatly offended by. I would never, ever have posted something like this.

There's a cedilla on the C in Senhora da Graça.

I agree that it was a bit sloppy. So was the inclusion of the Spanish spelling of Rodrigues. I probably also should have made a reference to a guy named Sepp Deignan winning a horrible edition of the HPV Cup.

I would enjoy if the 3 Jumbos would get together and decide (without team input) to ride as perfect teammates until the foot of Angliru, but then have a no-holds-barred match race on the climb and then see where they stand. That still could favor Kuss because of the steepness of the climb but at least would Roglic and Vingegaard were’t completely “held back” for the entire race.

Of course, the team would never agree.

I agree that it was a bit sloppy. So was the inclusion of the Spanish spelling of Rodrigues. I probably also should have made a reference to a guy named Sepp Deignan winning a horrible edition of the HPV Cup.
Oh, you meant Rui Rodrigues? I thought you meant Rui Rodríguez, he rode for Paternoster-Costa del Rui in Spain originally and was caught up in Operación Puerto so was in Portugal at the time too.