• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who, apart from Ryu, wagers their hard-earned on cycling?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
Betting on cycling is the main thing I bet on. You can get great odds on betfair and can often cover your bets later on in play.
Some of the better returns I had was when Gert stegmans won a stage of tthe tour a few years ago I got 250 - 1 I won 5000 and more recently I backed sep vanmarke when he won at 100 - 1 and Simon gerrans at 125 - 1 for Milan San remo. Sometimes bookies have no clue and can often get over the odds for many riders. Sometimes it is obvious ie cav winning a flat stage and sometimes head to head in the tour can pay big dividends, for example last year cunego was 2.50 to beat Tony Martin head to head, there was no way Tony was going to beat cunego on that course. It's a matter of being patient and choose your bets wisely and go hard when the obvious is starring you in the face. One point don't back riders who haunt got a winning history, if there not regular contenders or winners they won't be in the future. Form guides are often true

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Sergey® said:
Check out http://www.oddschecker.com for prices. All the firms are cushtie.

I'm not crying after backing Moncoutie today. I got a run at 66/1

Come On! Punters being pleased at getting a run for their money are a bookie's dream - you know that.

Next time, Next time, Next time.

Betting is a market, like any other investment. If the odds are stacked against you, why invest? I'm not knocking gambling (or bookies for that matter), but if the market is uber-weak (as it is for cycling) you are paying for the privilege of having a flutter.

No self-respecting punter would accept the sort of overround that cycling markets offer. And, as for the argument that you can draw a pen through so many of the entries - isn't that true for any sport? How many could you cross out for the Premier League title? Still a fair market though....;)

A

Anonymous

cycladianpirate said:
Come On! Punters being pleased at getting a run for their money are a bookie's dream - you know that.

Next time, Next time, Next time.

Betting is a market, like any other investment. If the odds are stacked against you, why invest? I'm not knocking gambling (or bookies for that matter), but if the market is uber-weak (as it is for cycling) you are paying for the privilege of having a flutter.

No self-respecting punter would accept the sort of overround that cycling markets offer. And, as for the argument that you can draw a pen through so many of the entries - isn't that true for any sport? How many could you cross out for the Premier League title? Still a fair market though....;)

Oi - I predicted that Moncoutie would be in the break, and having a punt at 66/1 seemed prudent. I'm only a few quid poorer, but that's the game (forgetting the over-round). It didn't work today. I can live with that. I could have traded out on Betfair when the lead was 3:45 but I let the bet run. In hindsight, maybe I could have sold the bet and made a profit.

It would have been for beer money, though. £1000 - £15 each way was more appealing.

Jun 29, 2010
www.goodforthegame.co.za
Been betting on sport all of my adult life and while only a once a year cycling punter I love nothing more than betting on the TDF. I bet on the stages and tend to go on hot and cold streaks but the big memories have come from long term punts - most of them are hard luck stories but I still come back for more

A few years back I took Cunego/Zubeldia over 3 weeks at 11/10. With about 4 stages to go he led by over an hour and watching the text commentary at work I saw CRASH and of course it was Cunego. He was down for ages and his team dropped back and got him home but he pulled out the next day.

Last year I had a big bet on Wiggins to be Kloden and will never forget the sight of him sitting on the ground clearly not going to continue. Spent the rest of the Tour waiting for Klodi to fall off which he did to get me my money back

Backed Landis the year he won and with a bookmaker who took 3 months to acknowledge the podium rule.

2 years back was convinced Pettachi wouldnt reach Paris and went crazy in a match bet against Ciolek - rumours every day that he would pull out but he hung in to get green.

Finally McEwan v Baden Cooke the latter winning Green by a hair and costing me a packet.

I punt sport (rugby to win) but cycling is for the thrill as much as anything else.

A

Anonymous

Never good to post winners after the result, but I backed EBH today ;)

I've a screen shot of one of my winning bets but can't seem to be able to post it :confused:

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
just a silly question: What happens if the winner pops a Positive? can you get your money back????:confused:

After Clentagate some danish bookmakers started paying out wins for people who bet on Andy

Personally I have never had a big interest in gambling or betting ...

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
What's the best place to bet in-shop around London? I want to make a small bet for the TDF but I don't want the hassle of setting up an account online, especially since I don't know where I'll be living next year etc.

Cancellator said:
What's the best place to bet in-shop around London? I want to make a small bet for the TDF but I don't want the hassle of setting up an account online, especially since I don't know where I'll be living next year etc.

I would use the oddschecker link on this thread to find the high-street chain that offers the best price for the rider you want to bet

With the big chains you can collect at any of their shops - you just need to tell them the branch where you placed the bet

wirral said:
Stage 4, Dauphine, Chris Froome @ Paddy Power 375/1. Is he sick or something?

Dunno. Hasnt done much this season but has been recovering from a resurgence of that parasite. Looks on better form here, dont think he'd win but that seems generous. Each-way only goes to 2nd place and is a third of the odds.

wirral said:
Stage 4, Dauphine, Chris Froome @ Paddy Power 375/1. Is he sick or something?

Paddypowers compiler is just very very bad. Almost as bad as Betvictors.

For instance tomorrow: Danny Pate that has zero chance at 50/1... LOL, and ofcourse Froome much too high and value also in the ew terms

Sadly very bad compilers like Paddypower and Betvictor also means that limits very quickly gets ridiculeous or accounts gets closed after very few bets. But ofcourse you might as well just win what you can until that happens, but after that it is just very frustrating to watch all those gift odds without being able to play them. It took me a month or so to get my account closed with betvictor and also a month or so to get ridiculeous limits with padypower, like 1 euro for h2hs etc..

Concerning the rest of the thread, the last couple of years the general cycling-betting-market has sadly gotten a lot worse mostly because fewer and fewer bookies has their own odds and more and more is copying the odds from most of all Bet365.

Sportingbet and to some extend Unibet (and sometimes also Ladbrokes and Nordicbet) still also have a lot of unique odds that is worth an account, though they have now also begun copiyng winnergames from Bet365 a lot sadly. And then there is the unplayable offerings from Paddypower/Betvictor, but besides that it is really only copies everywhere. But at least that solves some of the general limitproblems so to speak..

Betfair is definetly also a must for winnerodds, but they are often slow too start markets and the action is fairly slow often. But still there is a lot to be won here. Like today with way too high odds offered on Boasson.

Despite the problems with copies and limits surely there is still a lot of money to be made, but the happy days from 5-10 years ago where winning money on cyclingbetting was like stealing candy from a baby is long gone.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
barn yard said:
schleck now at $2.50 for tour podium after last nights disgraceful tt

starting to look like a reasonable bet

I'm gonna wait for him to be anonymous the rest of the week and let the odds drift outa little more first.