• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who are the best time trialers heading in the Pais Vasco TT?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I'll go for a final top 6:

Vino
Samu
Kloden
Horner
Tondo
Beñat

Vino is super motivated and has the form not TOP yet but a very GOOD form... I can see him pulling a great result here... Samu as He has said it, He knows this parcours has the palm of his hand... Kloden still has the form but I'm a hater and I dont want him to win this race ;)

Hey pay attention to Tondo in the TT I think that He will give us a surprise! Also Beñat!
Tomorrow's TT will give us some surprise I think! ;)

Eric8-A said:
I think the overall will belong to Kloden. Not sure if he'll win, but he looks best to win the overall. I don't think Sanchez will be able to take time off of Klodi. Look back at the Tour last year when he was fighting Menchov for a podium sport in the final TT. The TT here is much shorter than the one at the TdF, but Klodi is a better TT'ist.

I havn't seen anyone mention Pinotti.

CQ Head to Head (ITTs):

Samuel Sánchez 4 - 3 Andreas Klöden

Castilla y León 2008 (9,7km) - Sánchez by 11"
Algarve 2010 (17,2km) - Sánchez by 20"
País Vasco 2010 (22km) - Sánchez by 11"
Tour de France 2010 (prologue)(8,9km) - Klöden by 20"
Tour de France 2010 (Pauillac)(52km) - Sánchez by 1'44"
Paris-Nice 2011 (27km) - Klöden by 57"
Critérium International 2011 (7km) - Klöden by 25"

I'd suggest that the most appropriate to take into account are Paris-Nice and País Vasco 2010. This gives Klöden the advantage but not by much, and as Sánchez is likely to be in much better form now than he was in Paris-Nice, and we don't know how long Klöden can hold top form for anymore, especially at his age (though he has been a man reborn so far this year), it's still a matter of who feels better on the day.

The more you follow the various protagonists in this act, the harder it becomes to predict.

The Hitch said:
Yes, someone who won that time trial to end all time trials in Oman is the major threat.

Lets ignore people like Samuel Sanchez who won a grant tour time trial beating Denis Menchov in the proccess, or Horner who won this tt last year, or Vino who put one of the great tt displays of all time in tdf 07.

No. none of that is even comparable to doing one great time trial at.... (wait for it) the tour of Oman:rolleyes:

He is the major threat. Sanchez Horner and Vino might as well just give up:rolleyes:

I am not ignoring anyone. Any of the riders you mentioned could win. But I have selected Gesink and Kloden to fight it out. Problem ? The time gaps are obviously small and the race should be decided by a handful of seconds. Heaven help me for not mentioning the great Samuel Sanchez. As for Horner, I admire him a lot. He is a great competitor as I have often said before.