• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

who are the most overrated riders in the peloton in your opinion?

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Spine Concept said:
Good thing you mentioned the TDF specifically, cause Gesink already has one on him at the Tirreno this year where he bumped him from the podium. ;)

Edit: Youngest beat me to it. Darn it. :D

I'm very careful with comparing races like the Tirenno with the TdF.

Or is Wiggins all of a sudden a favorite after the Dauphine?

Franklin said:
I'm very careful with comparing the Tirenno with the TdF.

I see you have the ability to derive things which are simply not there, nor implied. I never said Gesink was a favorite for anything because of his Tirreno tt. That was simply a case in point that his tt has improved significantly this year. Let's see what you read between the lines this time. :rolleyes:

Franklin said:
I'm very careful with comparing races like the Tirenno with the TdF.

Ah, well in that case I don't see why you're bringing up Gesink's TT in the Dauphiné :rolleyes:

BTW, Basso had great form in the Tirreno. The best he's been in all year, and probably better than he has now (although I hope I'm wrong).

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Franklin's your logic is flawed. Initially you said Dekker was a far better GT contendor because he could TT.

A TT is decisive, but on a whole scope of things climing more so.

Otherwise Martin and Canc would be the main contenders.
Dekker may have beat Gesink in the tt a minute or two. But gesink would have done more damage in the climbing.

GTs are generally decided by the ITT, but in the sense the best TT of the 'climbers'. AC is the best climber in the world. His ITT was not great by any means last year.

Menchov was one of the best climbers each time he won a GT.

Nibbles climbed his way into a position at the vuelta to easily take the lead in the itt. His climbing allowed him to go up against Mosquera, rather then Velits.

FACT: Evans lost the tour in the climbs not the itt.
Both occasions.

FACT: Leipheimer lost all those GTs in the mountains not the ITT.

LA might've been a great TTr, he was also the best in the mountains for the most part.

AC just won the giro in the mountains. He destroyed the giro in the mountains.

Valverde won the Vuelta in the mountains

---

so do I think DT is a better GC potential because he can TT and is a good climber.

Or do I think Gesink is a better candidate for GTs because he is one of the best climbers, and has excellent endurance. Which trends suggest is the most necessary ingredient. Yes, yes I do.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Franklin's your logic is flawed. Initially you said Dekker was a far better GT contendor because he could TT.

Not initially, I still say that...

A TT is decisive, but on a whole scope of things climing more so.

Sure.

Otherwise Martin and Canc would be the main contenders.

Uhm that's flawed. I never and nowherer said that you do not have to climb. I do say that above average climbing+ excelellent TTing almost always beats excellent climbing and above average TTing if it comes to GT wins.

Dekker may have beat Gesink in the tt a minute or two. But gesink would have done more damage in the climbing.

Considering it's harder to make a difference in the mountains this is rather contentious. Thomas has shown that he could keep up in the high mountains and Robert is hardly the super attacker.

GTs are generally decided by the ITT, but in the sense the best TT of the 'climbers'. AC is the best climber in the world. His ITT was not great by any means last year.

AC didn't have his best year, but we all know that. And yet he finished it off in the TT.

But to go back to the argument, you do realize that this is not in contention with what I said??? I say TD is a better TT-er, so he had more chance than RG who is so far abysmal at (GT) TT-ing.

The position I hold and every argument fired at me only shows that actually my position is indeed rather logical. And the mountain of evidence supports it all the way.

Your dislike of TD and like fior RG should not blind you for the potential either has/had.
Menchov was one of the best climbers each time he won a GT.

Sure

Nibbles climbed his way into a position at the vuelta to easily take the lead in the itt. His climbing allowed him to go up against Mosquera, rather then Velits.

Sure

FACT: Evans lost the tour in the climbs not the itt.
Both occasions.

Uhmmmm..... not so sure as we can simply argue that AC won his GT the first time by holding him off in the TT... but ok.

FACT: Leipheimer lost all those GTs in the mountains not the ITT.

Sure

LA might've been a great TTr, he was also the best in the mountains for the most part.

Sure

AC just won the giro in the mountains. He destroyed the giro in the mountains.

Sure

Valverde won the Vuelta in the mountains

Sure

Nowhere will I contend it ^^. However oddly.... ever so oddly... the majority of the GT's is decided in the TT, which is acknowledged by all.

Sorry, nothing here that makes me believe in RG.

so do I think DT is a better GC potential because he can TT and is a good climber.

Logic says you should.

Or do I think Gesink is a better candidate for GTs because he is one of the best climbers, and has excellent endurance. Which trends suggest is the most necessary ingredient. Yes, yes I do.

First off, RG is a follower in the mountains (GT's). He certainly is one of the last to falter, but attacking in a GT is not his style.

Where does he get the needed time to win a GT? He can't do a "Menchov" and wrap it up in a TT.

Also; endurance being the most necessary ingredient? ? What is endurance in this context? If you mean constant high performance, sure, but given his lack of weaponry it's not enough to let RG win a GT.

Whereas TD, not only did he not really test himself in a GT as main man, it remains to be seen if he can (could) be constant.

So if I look at potential, RG, however great a guy, hasn't got the arsenal to win a GT. Not an attacker, yet not a good TT.... Whereas TD at least did have his good TT as a saving grace. It's not a coincidence TD won Tirenno and Romandie, whereas RG only won Oman.

Franklin said:
First off, RG is a follower in the mountains (GT's). He certainly is one of the last to falter, but attacking in a GT is not his style.
Oops, first assumption, and immediately wrong. Are you one of those guys that only watches the Tour? If so, I suggest you watch some mountain stages from the Vuelta 2009. You'll see Gesink off the front in almost every one of them.

You seem to confuse an assessment of Thomas Dekker's possibilities with a dislike for the guy. Dekker has never shown he's got what it takes in consecutive mountain stages. How are we to know what he can do in a GT? He could be great, he could also be Tony Martin.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Franklin said:

Uhm that's flawed. I never and nowherer said that you do not have to climb. I do say that above average climbing+ excelellent TTing almost always beats excellent climbing and above average TTing if it comes to GT wins.

I disagree. It is easier to lose big time in the mountains then anywhere else.
Like I said the superior climbers, in modern day GTs appear to have the advantage.

Franklin said:

Considering it's harder to make a difference in the mountains this is rather contentious. Thomas has shown that he could keep up in the high mountains and Robert is hardly the super attacker.

I consider that statement untrue.
Anyway Dekker has some decent results in mountains, namely 6ish % tho in short stage races. Nothing to indicate he can be compared to gesink in the high mountains.

Franklin said:
AC didn't have his best year, but we all know that. And yet he finished it off in the TT.

Conta was required to be one of the 2 big guns in the tour last year in the most decisive area; climbing. Otherwise he wouldn't have won the tour, menchov would have.

Uhmmmm..... not so sure as we can simply argue that AC won his GT the first time by holding him off in the TT... but ok.

yeah.. evans beat conta by over 2.30 minutes in total.
In the itt that is.
Yet AC still won ;)

Franklin said:
Nowhere will I contend it ^^. However oddly.... ever so oddly... the majority of the GT's is decided in the TT, which is acknowledged by all.

Sorry, nothing here that makes me believe in RG.

Logic says you should.

Not acknowledged by me. And from what I've seen not as many as you think. Again, the itt separates the best of the climbers.

Why do you think the decent climbers - Bottle, Cuddles, Wiggo - with a TT weapon are GT less.

What logic ? I've yet to see any logic in your argument.

Franklin said:
Your dislike of TD and like fior RG should not blind you for the potential either has/had.

I dislike dekker? That is news to me.
Rather I just understand which of the two hold greater promise in terms of GT.

Franklin said:

Where does he get the needed time to win a GT? He can't do a "Menchov" and wrap it up in a TT.

Yeah... Robert is a follower in the mountains :rolleyes:
Anyway Gesink's climbing by numbers continues to show signs of progress, take this as you will.

Franklin said:
Also; endurance being the most necessary ingredient? ? What is endurance in this context? If you mean constant high performance, sure, but given his lack of weaponry it's not enough to let RG win a GT.

Whereas TD, not only did he not really test himself in a GT as main man, it remains to be seen if he can (could) be constant.

So if I look at potential, RG, however great a guy, hasn't got the arsenal to win a GT. Not an attacker, yet not a good TT.... Whereas TD at least did have his good TT as a saving grace. It's not a coincidence TD won Tirenno and Romandie, whereas RG only won Oman.

Franklin said:

Endurance is key in GTs. In this area Gesink is established whereas DT is an unknown.

Franklin said:

TA is not an indication to GTs. More so to Italian classics then anything.
let us look at the recent honor list.

TA said:
2001 Davide Rebellin (ITA) 8 1,155
2002 Erik Dekker (NED) 7 1,049
2003 Filippo Pozzato (ITA) 7 1,235
2004 Paolo Bettini (ITA) 7 1,228
2005 &#211]

so many GT superstars.

same goes for romandie

2001 Italy Dario Frigo (ITA) Fassa Bortolo
2002 Italy Dario Frigo (ITA) Vini Caldirola
2003 United States Tyler Hamilton (USA) Team CSC
2004 United States Tyler Hamilton (USA) Phonak
2005 Colombia Santiago Botero (COL) Phonak
2006 Australia Cadel Evans (AUS) Davitamon-Lotto
2007 Netherlands Thomas Dekker (NED) Rabobank
2008 Germany Andreas Klöden (GER) Astana
2009 Czech Republic Roman Kreuziger (CZE) Liquigas
2010 Slovenia Simon Spilak (SLO) Lampre-Farnese Vini [1]
2011 Australia Cadel Evans (AUS) BMC Racing Team

I never argued TD wasn't a better short stage racer. Where not such difficult climbs and the ITT is certainly most decisive.

Were discussing GTs tho ;)

Franklin said:

That's right, AC won by holding off Evans in the TT. And that's because he'd already built up a lead to defend. And where had he built up that lead? In the mountains. Hence this totally and utterly backs up TLR's argument.

TRENDING THREADS