• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who better to predict a winner of the Lance/Alberto "Challenge" than Mr. Roll himself

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TRDean said:
I really don't understand the vitriol on here. Roll is simply answering questions. He may or may not even like the answers he is giving...but he is being paid by Versus. Now, Versus has a huge financial stake in LA in this race. The viewership will go through the roof here in the US because of LA. I'm sure they (Liggett, Sherwin, Roll) have been instructed to treat LA as a savior and a hero of the cycling world...as that is what the vast majority of US viewers want to see. Like it or not.
So you have just verified the conflict of interests that have make Roll's opinions rather annoying.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
What conflict of interest...this isn't the freakin nightly news. It is a sporting event...maybe Roll really does like and root for Armstrong...so what. Just because he isn't spouting the anti LA rhetoric you don't like him or think that he has a conflict of interest? I absolutely agree Roll is a jerk, and his treatment of the French and Europeans in general is way over the top...but the dude has an opinion and he has stated it.

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
3 stars cadel, carlos and alberto and one KING Lance

I think Cadel might come up on top,second last year and hopefully worked harder to win this year, however that depends wether Carlos` climbing skills have decreased due to racing the Giro, then it is up to alberto to show himself-
make no mistakes (like Paris-Nice) and be a teamplayer in Astana-
so the outsider is Lance-
can he stay out of tumbles ??

I hope for a real fight and close race :)

A

Anonymous

Robert Merivel said:
Yeah, and I raced against him, big deal.

I'll tell you what. How about a gentleman's bet. Lance wins you stop posting. Lance looses, I stop posting. I can stick to that one...can you, #635?

Yeah, I am Rocket Scientist for the NASA and in my spare time I save puppies, extract stem cells, and and do spy work for the CIA and NWO. You can be anything on the interwebs.

Hey, this is the interwebs so we can be anything. Why not have a Klingon bet? Lance wins and you can put whatever that alien animal is they put in people's ears on Star Trek. Lance loses and I get to laugh and laugh and laugh in a very deep Klingon voice? Sound like a deal?

Apr 12, 2009
Visit site
The point is that contador is supposed to be the team leader so there shouldn't be a debate about him working for a member of the team, and again I agree contador did work for LL. So its clear that Bob roll doesn't like contador as he is disrupting LA quest for 8. Just a side note i spoke with a rider I used to train in Spain who is a friend of contador he said he spoke with alberto who said he is strong enough to win the tour by himself if he needs to.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Just a side note i spoke with a rider I used to train in Spain who is a friend of contador he said he spoke with alberto who said he is strong enough to win the tour by himself if he needs to.

Thanks for that tidbit, Franciep. :)

A

Anonymous

franciep10 said:
The point is that contador is supposed to be the team leader so there shouldn't be a debate about him working for a member of the team, and again I agree contador did work for LL. So its clear that Bob roll doesn't like contador as he is disrupting LA quest for 8. Just a side note i spoke with a rider I used to train in Spain who is a friend of contador he said he spoke with alberto who said he is strong enough to win the tour by himself if he needs to.

I hope he's right.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Lost me at "JB - There’s no doubt he is the greatest sports director who has ever been involved in professional cycling"

This shows his total ignorance for cycling history and an insult of all the great DS's that have come before him. Laughable really when your only strategy is to buy up your nearest competitors, load them up to the gills and get them to ride tempo to the base of mountains. Genius!!

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
Just a side note i spoke with a rider I used to train in Spain who is a friend of contador he said he spoke with alberto who said he is strong enough to win the tour by himself if he needs to.

That's good to hear, plus I'm sure that there are a few riders from other teams that are willing to help him when/if needed.

Let the circus begin!

franciep10 said:

Just like he did in Paris-Nice?

I'd argue that attitude is the biggest reason Astana might not win the Tour. It's a very strong looking team of old guys and Alberto with more than enough ego to go around. I've never even seen Levi fetch a water bottle... He's still angling like he's the backup backup captain. I wouldn't be at all shocked if Astana doesn't win the Tour but has 3 top 7 guys.

Anyone take note of how Frank pretty much laid down on the tracks for Sastre last year?

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
franciep10 said:
I used to train in Spain who is a friend of contador he said he spoke with alberto who said he is strong enough to win the tour by himself if he needs to.

If you believe that then you probably believe that Contador hasn't taken and PEDs if your friend said so.

Come on, the last time a winner of the Tour won without his team was probably in 1989. It was very clear that his team wasn't that very strong and he used other riders from other teams to help. All of Armstrong's wins were because of his team.....cycling today is all about how good your team is or the alliances you make.....if you were a pro like you said you were you would know this.

Astana Will Be Fine.

TheMight said:
Just like he did in Paris-Nice?

I'd argue that attitude is the biggest reason Astana might not win the Tour. It's a very strong looking team of old guys and Alberto with more than enough ego to go around. I've never even seen Levi fetch a water bottle... He's still angling like he's the backup backup captain. I wouldn't be at all shocked if Astana doesn't win the Tour but has 3 top 7 guys.

Anyone take note of how Frank pretty much laid down on the tracks for Sastre last year?

Funny you mention Paris-Nice, because I think that was a pivotal moment for Contador. Not only did JB send a relatively weak team, but he didn't pay attention to #1 (i.e., keeping hydrated and fueled for the fight). His response to that bad day was to clip in again and give it go, which was a great sign. I think the evolution was complete when he went to the Dauphine and DIDN'T go deep trying to prove he was the better man against Evans (and frankly I thought he got the upper hand in the psychological game with Evans). His comments leading up to the race indicate that he's not overly concerned with who is or isn't designated leader--which is a GREAT sign.

As for the team dynamics, my guess is that a lot of folks will find themselves doing things they've never had to do before (Zubelda (sp), Kloden, and maybe Levi will find themselves heading back to the car to get food and drinks for whoever is the strongest rider (I assume Contador at this point)) for the common good. Astana, more than anything, likes to win. And Levi and Kloden have shown themselves to be stable and capable professionals such that I don't think they will allow the two alpha males to derail the entire team. But that's just speculation on my part.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Angliru said:
I believe his exact words were: "a rider that I used to train in Spain", not train with. I don't think there was the implication that he was/is a pro. Just that he trained someone that knows Contador.

Actually, he has come out and said he was pro even said he finished 8th in the Nevada classic...I found this post on another thread;

"No I didn't do epo, at the time when i was riding epo had alot of health concerns and I had just started a family had I known before hand that it wouldn't have affected my health and make me lots of money, I would've strongly thought about it, but I wasn't that good to turn into a levi or a Bauer, I was a support rider and a good ITT rider but I wasn't going to ride at the tour, funny story I got an offer from Postal in 1996 but my team was better so I stuck with them, little did I know. Basically If I had the potential to be great I would have done it at that time."

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?p=23296#post23296

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
I had coffee with him one time. He still sucks in his fanboydom, it is understandable why someone such as yourself would enjoy listening to him.

The best part is that when Lance loses, we will not have to hear from you again because fanboys always go away after the tour anyway, only this year it will hopefully be for good.

The condescending comments about the "three week fans" are as predictable as an eastern sunrise--and about as imaginative.

For me, the "three week fans" are as welcome as any other---it's only because of them that I will have a live HD picture to watch next week.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
Bob Roll's opinion means as much to the average European fan, as the Tour of Burgos means to the average fanboy.

Do you ever say anything of value....do you really believe the European fans are so much better and well informed?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Thoughtforfood said:
Yeah, I am Rocket Scientist for the NASA and in my spare time I save puppies, extract stem cells, and and do spy work for the CIA and NWO. You can be anything on the interwebs.

Hey, this is the interwebs so we can be anything. Why not have a Klingon bet? Lance wins and you can put whatever that alien animal is they put in people's ears on Star Trek. Lance loses and I get to laugh and laugh and laugh in a very deep Klingon voice? Sound like a deal?

Your above response was pure chicken shist and fear based.

Come on tff, you talk big. Put your talk where your mouth is? Even if it's a remote chance, can't stand being muzzled? Come on, bet me.

One more time for all to see. Lance looses I'm gone. Lance wins YOU are gone. The odds would seem to be entirely in your favor. Too much for you to handle? Seems like your reluctance to a gentleman's bet might indicate, deep down, below your crusty exterior, you know Lance could pull it off and you don't have the balls to admit it.

Waiting for the proverbial handshake...so all can witness.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
One thing hasn't been discussed (may be discounted): Contador might have some fire in his veins this Tour. He's gotta have some anger/resentment :mad: at the Astana wringer he's been through this year (the co-leadership ambiguity).

Lance has shown this Spanish guy the bull's "red flag" (a la matador) a few times this year: re dissing him, then praising him, saying he's nervous, excitable, etc. The premise is he can rattle Bertie. I don't think so (might even backfire). Why?

1) Bertie's got all the more reason to stamp on the pedals with some fire (dissing a proud Spanish guy is not the way to go).

2) Paradox is he's also shown a cool head too: his Giro win was masterful.

So, a tough combo to beat. I think it's gonna be hard for Lance to dominate a guy who is both fiery and level-headed (he's every bit a champion upstairs as Lance was). Don't think Contador can be manhandled, intimidated.

Meanwhile, Menchov prepares in total silence (no media bylines, no videos, no interviews, no soap opera). Silent. That's pretty bullish sign to me.

Yes, let the circus begin....:D

euphrades said:
Do you ever say anything of value....

Apparently not.
It's a big club around here, with an ever expanding membership.

euphrades said:
....do you really believe the European fans are so much better and well informed?

If you read the post correctly, in terms of Bob Roll, it actually says the opposite.
I suppose I would be better served to stay out of "nationally polarised" threads.
Certainly, this one's content can be found elsewhere, in many guises.

FWIW: I think there are some amazingly well-informed US posters on this site.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Azdak6 said:
The condescending comments about the "three week fans" are as predictable as an eastern sunrise--and about as imaginative.

For me, the "three week fans" are as welcome as any other---it's only because of them that I will have a live HD picture to watch next week.

It's part of the standard hateboy mantra. He'll probably call it irony.

Exactly, this is a public forum, not the exclusive playground of a few who shout the loudest and post the most.

Publicus said:
Funny you mention Paris-Nice, because I think that was a pivotal moment for Contador. Not only did JB send a relatively weak team, but he didn't pay attention to #1 (i.e., keeping hydrated and fueled for the fight). His response to that bad day was to clip in again and give it go, which was a great sign. I think the evolution was complete when he went to the Dauphine and DIDN'T go deep trying to prove he was the better man against Evans (and frankly I thought he got the upper hand in the psychological game with Evans).

I totally agree with you. I think those two races that he didn't actually win might turn out to be big stepping stones for him. The Dauphine was one of the few times he's raced in the last couple of years when he hasn't gone for the win. And I think the beating he took at Paris-Nice was good for him as well.

A

Anonymous

Robert Merivel said:
Your above response was pure chicken shist and fear based.

Come on tff, you talk big. Put your talk where your mouth is? Even if it's a remote chance, can't stand being muzzled? Come on, bet me.

One more time for all to see. Lance looses I'm gone. Lance wins YOU are gone. The odds would seem to be entirely in your favor. Too much for you to handle? Seems like your reluctance to a gentleman's bet might indicate, deep down, below your crusty exterior, you know Lance could pull it off and you don't have the balls to admit it.

Waiting for the proverbial handshake...so all can witness.

Uh, neither you or Mr Armstrong is important enough to me to warrant such a bet. I will keep posting here regardless because unlike you, I have been discussing cycling for quite some time.

The "oh you are a chicken" is quite funny actually. This is the interwebs, and not the real world. If it were I would make the bet much more interesting.

Now, I honestly don't care that much whether or not he wins because they will all dope to do so. I will not wish for his success, but if it happens, I will just chalk it up to what it really was, a very talented athlete who also used PED's to win another race. Nothing new or different there, huh?

Again, I recognize that very likely Mr Armstrong could have won without drugs if everyone else was also not drugged. My bone of contention with him has always been that he systematically and ruthlessly tries to ruin the lives of people who offer any opposition to his propaganda or tell the truth about what they know of him and or his associations. That's it for me.

Lastly, you are just another fanboy who will be around here for awhile anyway. All you fanboys are seasonal. This forum ain't my first rodeo, and in the 3 years that I have posted on cycling forums, I have seen many, many like you. You only think you are special and have something new and different to say. Why should I find you special enough to make a bet with in the first place? There have been hundreds like you, and quite honestly, some of them were much more informed and challenging than are you. Stick to living on the edge, because that makes you "special." Anyone with a location that says what yours does is merely a clueless joke who breathes air.

Toodles.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
jaylew said:
I totally agree with you. I think those two races that he didn't actually win might turn out to be big stepping stones for him. The Dauphine was one of the few times he's raced in the last couple of years when he hasn't gone for the win. And I think the beating he took at Paris-Nice was good for him as well.

Contador said he wasn't out to win the Dauphine on his blog (it's in english). He had no interest in peaking for that race.

That said, he looked quite good. Had no trouble staying with Evan's attacks (looked bored to me). Decent TT performances too.

I was surprised by Evan's statements about Alberto's form. We saw Evan's "attacks" and I wasn't impressed at all. Though he's never been an attacking climber (similar to Levi). Now Alberto is a brutal attacker. Love to see him and Andy Schleck (sp?) go at it on the climbs. Just wish Andy could TT.

richwagmn said:
I wish. I can't stand to listen to Roll, Ligget and Sherwin shill for Armstrong. Can't wait to hear their softball interviews of Lance.

I remember velonews.com posting this footage of Neil Rogers trying to interview Armstrong after the 2007 final time trial (in which he rode in the car behind Contador):

ROGERS: Hey Lance, front-row seat to a first-rate show, ay?

ARMSTRONG: [Says nothing as he knocks Rogers over.]

ROGERS: [Muffled sounds of pain as he's trampled by all the other reporters. Then, after a few seconds . . .] Aargh, I dropped my sunglasses!