• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Who had the best season in the last 20 years?

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who had the best season in the last 20 years?

• Gilbert 2011

Votes: 47 46.1%
  • Cipollini 2002

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Cavendish 2009

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • Pantani 1998

Votes: 26 25.5%
  • Cancellara 2008

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Boonen 2005

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • Petacchi 2003 or 2004

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Contador 2008

Votes: 8 7.8%
  • Zabel 2001

Votes: 4 3.9%

• Total voters
AnatoleNovak said:
Blanco said:
Ruby United said:
Froome going for the ITT.
If he wins who would have been the last person to have had a better season than him.
Certainly no-one in the last 20 years.
Would we have to go all the way back to Roche, 1987?

Jalabert 1995 and Bugo 1990 weren't bad, but not as good.
Indurain 1993 perhaps? Tour, Giro and 2nd in WCRR as well as a few small victories.

Jalabert 1995 beats any season in last 29 years! Even Indurain's 1993

Glad to read it from a non-french! :p I'd say Jalabert's 1995 is the greatest season since Maertens in the 70's or Kelly in the 80's.

Hinault had some pretty good seasons back then also...

Re: Re:

burning said:
Netserk said:
And if I'm not mistaking, the only notable win that wasn't a sprint was San Sebastian (which was a quite late attack).

And if I'm not mistaking, the only notable win for Boonen in 2005 that wasn't a sprint was Ronde (which was a quite late attack).

Seriously, I don't understand why you devalue Gilbert's wins. For example, did you expect him to drop Schlecks before the finish, even though he knew that he would torch them in the sprint?
Sure, style wise they are comparable. 2 monuments and Worlds are however not comparable to what Gilbert managed...

burning said:
Netserk said:
And if I'm not mistaking, the only notable win that wasn't a sprint was San Sebastian (which was a quite late attack).

And if I'm not mistaking, the only notable win for Boonen in 2005 that wasn't a sprint was Ronde (which was a quite late attack).

How anyone can compare a 2-man or a 3-man sprint with a bunch sprint and how anyone can compare a late attack from a breakaway with a late attack from a peloton is beyond me. And then I'll be ridiculed for saying that most of Sagan's wins are bunch sprints. :rolleyes:

Netserk said:
burning said:
Netserk said:

Seriously, I don't understand why you devalue Gilbert's wins. For example, did you expect him to drop Schlecks before the finish, even though he knew that he would torch them in the sprint?
Sure, style wise they are comparable. 2 monuments and Worlds are however not comparable to what Gilbert managed...

That's why I voted for Boonen 2005, because he won all the big races that he can win and he got some nice wins here and there. But, I don't see a big difference between Gilbert's LBL win and Boonen's Ronde win in 2005, there is not much difference in style when you attack from 8 kms to go instead of embarrassing teammates in the sprint.

There's one season that could've gone in here.

VDB's 1999.

Won Het Volk easily. Would've won Paris-Nice but got caught in the crosswinds. 2nd in E3 beaten in a sprint. Lost a 3 days De Panne win to a crash. Lost a Flanders win to a crash (still got 2nd). 7th in Roubaix. Won LBL

Spent 4 months away due to clinic issues

Came back at the Vuelta. Won 2 stages. Didn't give a toss about GC but was easily the strongest in the race (waiting for Ullrich on Abantos when he could've easily won the stage, because Ullrich had bought his help...).

Went to the Worlds, finished in the front group of 8 at the end of 200kms with two broken wrists.
Then had to sit out Lombardia healing

Could've been epic.
Instead we're left with "only" 4 big wins and the youtube memories of that absolutely ridiculous day on Navalmoral.

While I feel he's massively overrated by some, that season could've been one for the ages.

Reactions: Monte Serra
He had the same level at the end of 2010, yet he didn't win that WCRR (and far from easily).

In fact, when comparing his autumns of 2010 and 2011, he was stronger in the former.
A lot of riders carry good form over a winter break. IIRC, when I checked after Nibali did it in 2017/18, more riders have won Lombardia then MSR in the following spring, than have won MSR and then Lombardia in the same calendar year.